Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: philipafarewell ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 04:40PM

Out went all the "holy underwear" of me and DH. I wonder if any TBM Mormons saw. Anyways, one hard thing down and lots more to go. It's really cathartic and therapeutic. There is however a nagging feeling that oh, what if I'm wrong...does that doubt ever fade?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: copostmo ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 04:45PM

Yes, for me the "oh, what if I'm wrong" doubt is completely gone.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 04:47PM

Congrats! I remember how great that felt to chuck the garments in the trash, markings and all. It was like I'd taken a big weight off my shoulders. Good for you!

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 07:00PM

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 07:31PM

Me? Yup. I almost died and thought it was a blessing from my dad that saved me. Then I read Insider's View into Mormon Origins and never went back.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 04:50PM

When I tossed mine in the dumpster, several days before the garbage truck came, do you think I cut out the symbols first? Nope, cause then they might not be of any use to the homeless people LOL.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 04:51PM

Congratulations - my garments are padding for my sons' bbgun shooting range.

Yes that feeling fades - and eventually completely and totally goes away.

In the mean time it can help to think that if there is a God that really uses believing in the Mormon church as criteria for heaven - that He worked really, really hard to make look fake, then He's such a big jerk and you don't want to live with him anyway.

A God who would base eternal consequences on belief in Him would be neither just nor merciful - and would also be a narcissist.

The more you learn and see the more and more confident you will be that the LDS church is not of God. It is in fact a destructive, hurtful, abusive organization. (Yes, there is much good in it, but there is WAAAAAY too much bad for it to be of God.)

Posted by: Elder Nevermo ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 05:40PM

"Congratulations - my garments are padding for my sons' bbgun shooting range."

I'm not sure those things can hold up to the BB pellets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAEcxXBNyTY

Posted by: daydream ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 11:07PM

Congrats! My husband and I finally disposed of our g's the same way 2 weeks ago. We found out the church wasn't true 6 months ago (Book of Abraham issues).Please be assured, the "what if I'm wrong" feeling goes away. If you're anything like me, the more you study about TSCC, the faster it goes. Reading about the real history was like falling down the rabbit hole, I had no idea it went that far down, but it has left absolutely no room for even the possibility of the mormon church ever being true.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 11:14PM

I was cleaning out dresser drawers today and ran across a top that got missed.

It made me feel sick to touch them. I put them on and looked in the mirror. Wow. I don't know how I wore those every day.

The feeling that you may be wrong will eventually go completely away. There's not a doubt in my mind. There isn't a single aspect of mormonism that doesn't have a glaring unfixable problem.

Not only that, they have no business designing underwear. That stuff is uuuugggllly.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 11:26PM

Yes, it fades and fades quickly. The more you do "wrong" and realize that it actually feels right, the easier it gets. That was a big step. Congrats!

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 11:44PM

Oh, I remember that glorious feeling of ditching my garments and wearing real, nice, pretty underwear again. And yes, the guilt and doubt go away, and replaced by healthier feelings. Way to go!

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 11:49PM

Another vote for the doubt going away. I didn't have a whole lot to start with, but reason is a powerful force. Much more so than conditioning and indoctrination.

Date: April 24, 2013 11:52PM

It's fun wearing real underwear again but feels kind of weird and I feel naked.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 12:11AM

The warmer the weather gets, the better it feels.
AND, you can wear shorts and sleeveless summer clothes just like normal people do.

Date: April 25, 2013 12:14AM

mia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The warmer the weather gets, the better it feels.
> AND, you can wear shorts and sleeveless summer
> clothes just like normal people do.

As soon as I tame the flab ;-)5 pregnancies does not a svelte woman make!

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 08:29AM

You'll get used to it, I promise. I wore garments for 21 years, but after I ditched them it only took about a month for me to reacclimate to regular underwear. You may find that you need new bras, though, in a different size and in different styles now that they're on your skin and now layered over an extra piece of cloth.

Date: April 25, 2013 10:03AM

It felt weird to me at first as well. I couldn't sleep well for about a week in my new underwear. Crazy cult, look how we are all discussing underwear! Church issued underwear! The thought makes reason stare. ;)

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 02:13AM

Beautiful, unceremonious, and very appropriate.

I got rid of my garments the same way. I was taking the garbage out, and saw the coffee grounds and kitty litter in there, and realized that it was the right time and place. I made myself a cup of coffee, and watched the truck pick it all up and haul it all away. Gone!

That was 6 years ago, and I often smile to myself, whenever I hear the truck chuff and clank through the neighborhood.

Philipafarewell, I am more sure of the Mormon church's false-ness than I was ever sure of its truthfulness--even in my most spitirual TBM moments. Everything tells me the cult is a lie--the sky, my children and grandchildren, animals, all of science, philosophy, history, the events in my life, observations, my gut feelings, and my HEART. You will reach that point, too.

Date: April 25, 2013 02:22AM

Thank you Joy :-)

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 02:31AM

Less than 24 hours after we learned the truth, my Wife and I took ours off, stuffed them in some walmart bags and now they sit on the floor in a closet. Your post makes me want to throw them out right now though; but I suppose I'm waiting for that "perfect" moment. haha

About that nagging feeling: it's only happened to me a couple of times, and when it does, I just open up my scriptures to the Book of Abraham. :) I won't fall for the JS fraud again.

Date: April 25, 2013 03:42AM

It really does feel good to get rid of them so go for it!

Date: April 25, 2013 10:06AM

I'm amazed at how many people keep them in bags in the bottom of their closet. They usually throw them out when they move, rearrange furniture, or do spring cleaning.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 06:16AM

It fades bit by bit. Every time you see some new fact confirming the church is wrong, it diminishes.

For me, the biggest change was the DNA evidence. Not only was it so strong on its own, the church's reaction confirmed that it discredited the BoM. By modifying JS's own intro to the BofM, they showed: a) they knew they had been nailed; b) they were perfectly willing to alter history to save face.

When I quit going to church, I was 75% sure that it was fake. Now I'm well over 99%. Since anything is possible, I'll never get to 100%.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2013 06:17AM by axeldc.

Date: April 25, 2013 09:50AM

I have just learned so much in addition to the DNA that made me say WTF. I am so pissed that I was so gullible and easily snowed by all of this.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 10:02AM

That's the overriding feeling for me too. I take pride in intelligence but to know I got duped for so long is embarrassing and makes me angry at myself. That has taken me longer to overcome than the fact that LDS, Inc. is scam. I may have been very young when I converted but how did I not see it sooner?

As others here have said, "Just be glad you found out when you did."

Date: April 25, 2013 10:21AM

That's the thing the younger you are the easier it is to be brainwashed and then this whole thing becomes a part of you.The church is very adept at deceit, it's had decades to master the art, so we don't need to be upset with anyone but them.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 08:03AM

Good point about the "what if I'm wrong" feeling. Hadn't thought about that in a long time. Yes it goes away. Quite quickly, in fact. There is not a teeny tiny fragment of a thought left in my brain that thinks I could be wrong and maybe TSCC is anything but a complete fraud, originally perpetrated by a few very good con men.

Conversely, there was never a time in my mormon life, after about the age of 10, that the "I'm not sure it's true" thought wasn't floating freely through my head. But I thought I was Mormon for life because I thought that you can never know for sure. And the possibility of leaving, and being wrong, had unspeakable eternal consequences. I laugh at that thought now. Facts easily trump so-called faith.

Posted by: charles, not logged in ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 09:04AM

throwing out good mop and rag material like that. Think of the planet's survival. I, righteous one, took hold of my garments and did cut it up in two pieces. Henceforth, I've used each part to mop or wipe spills and stains from the dirtiest parts of the home, choosing the side with the Masonic marks to wipe grease and other dark substances. For some variety, I swept a few dust bunnies from under my TBM sibling's bed with one piece, grinning with glee. Oh, the bitter irony. And _then_ only would I dispose of said garment pieces, marks intact.

Date: April 25, 2013 09:52AM

Yes, wasteful but, I am so repulsed by the idea of them I just had to get rid of them and yesterday was garbage day.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 02:15PM

I determined that my religious beliefs were a choice and I had many to choose from. It was not about what was right and what was right. They were all right in some sense. I just chose to change my mind and not incorporate any of them on any organized fashion.
I'm for universal truths though!
Yup. My used Mormon undies went in the trash many years ago. Who wants used undies anyhow!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 07:46PM

It fades until one day you'll have forgotten that you ever felt

guilt.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 07:48PM

I posted this two years ago when I started my journey out. I don't feel guilty anymore just mad at the cult of lies.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 08:17PM

Never owned garments but I tossed BofM's, bibles and other cult literature in the landfill after I resigned. Some of it had been dad's but it all got turfed.

RB

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.