Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Huntsville, AL Native ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 12:34AM

This is somewhat of a continuation of the thread about Sheila Osmond's arrest. She is the adopted daughter/child of Merrill and Mary Osmond. She was recently arrested for passing a bad check. On the one hand, I feel sorry for her. How humiliating to have your picture in the National Enquirer. It appears to me, a non-mormon, that the majority of mormons are into status. Perhaps she hoped this Internet scam would work out so she could have the nice things that Marie's kids have. In Marie's recent book, she made her mother out to be more holy than the Virgin Mary. There was a certain arrogance in her book about how she and her mother have all the answers about raising perfect children. So they "schadenfruede part" of me thought, "Sheila, I grew up in the '70's when your dad and uncles and aunt were in their hey day. They always presented themselves as perfect. Your getting arrested shows your family is no better than anyone else, although they think they are." I read where Alan's youngest son, Tyler, is a member of a band called "Desert Noises" and is touring around the country. Alan and Suzanne Osmond disgust me....they think their bowel movements do not smell and they have the most perfect family in the world. I am so glad their youngest son has some cojones and is touring America, making music, and apparently saying, "To hell with going on a Mormon mission. God bless Tyler Osmond for the courage to be himself!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 09:38AM

I recently met Sheila a few months ago. She is a lovely young lady. She was with her Dad. We visited and she shared a few favorite memories of her growing up years in our neighborhood. How sad that a mistake has to be shared across the world in such a public way. I hope that she finds peace....just like I am always seeking. What a burden to be in a "famous" family as you struggle to find your way in this sometimes, unforgiving world.

Posted by: Steven from dra ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 12:46AM

Sheila went to a behavioral program with me. She's had a troubled past. Her parents like all our parents there spent $6000 a month for us to stay there the place was like a prison camp in the middle of the desert. Like most of our parents they had better things to do and more important children to take care of. This in return makes us want that love that our siblings always got. I too stole money and forged checks from my parents. I have grown up since. But geeze WORLD give her a break.

Posted by: Curious ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 08:49PM

So, Tyler Osmond never went on a mission??? Very interesting!

Posted by: lifegoeson ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 11:08PM

Alan's son Alex was one of the missionaries who gave my dd her discussions. He was actually a very nice kid. The members fell all over themselves like he was royalty...

Posted by: Huntsville, AL Native ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 11:34PM

Dear LifeGoesOn: Did your daughter eventually convert to mormonism? If so, how are you doing in regards to her conversion. I hope all is well with you.

Posted by: lifegoeson ( )
Date: May 03, 2013 10:15AM

Huntsville, AL Native Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear LifeGoesOn: Did your daughter eventually
> convert to mormonism? If so, how are you doing in
> regards to her conversion. I hope all is well
> with you.

We all did...and escaped the craziness 4 yrs later.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: May 03, 2013 12:08AM

There are dozens of Osmonds. Not a big deal to me.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: May 03, 2013 12:22AM

Just wondering why Sheila's adopted dad did not help her?
Or why she felt she could not ask the parents for help?

Five thousand dollars are hardly worth the permanent stigma of a felony conviction.
Especially not for the Osmonds.

The family probably could have made this case go away by offering to pay double the $ amount and/or getting her a decent lawyer to plea bargain down to a misdemeanor.

Posted by: Anon for now ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 10:09PM

My former mother-in-law was a kleptomaniac and used to write bad checks and forge signatures on other people's checks.

Then there was an uncle who was as kind and nice as the day is long and couldn't handle money to save his life; without much exageration, if you gave the guy ten dollars, he'd end up twenty dollars in debt in an hour.

Posted by: Big Sky Dan ( )
Date: July 11, 2014 01:08PM

Actually got to see Desert Noises live and met Tyler after the show. Couldn't be a nicer guy! (And great bass player)

Here is one of their music videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPGxVYsSMwY&list=PLaHoPVAaST8yk5Hl7xcp6-g4r8q661Oqb

Enjoy!

Posted by: jepgrl2 ( )
Date: November 08, 2014 05:42PM

Talking about Tyler not going on a mission. The osmond brothers did not go on missions they stated that going on tour was like going on a mission.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 08, 2014 06:34PM

Tyler is not one of the original Osmond brothers nor any kind of famous musician, although he may be some sort of small potatoes. If David Archuleta could go, so could this musical nobody.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: November 08, 2014 08:26PM

He could but good for him for wanting to follow his passions rather than doing what everyone else thinks he should do.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: November 08, 2014 08:14PM

Going on tour is like going on a mission, WTF? Yeah, like when the bishop told me going to Vietnam is like going on a mission. I bet the touring Osmonds had good food and pretty nice accomodations.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: November 09, 2014 11:02AM

Most of us probably have similar stories.

A relative of mine was like your uncle, only it was more like half an hour; never bounced a check that I know of, though.

Another got into some financial trouble at college with their first checking account--"honest mistake" to be charitible--but eventually figured it out and is doing OK 20+ years later.

Posted by: lindylou ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 02:46PM

I think by going on tour it was thought that would be great publicity for the Church, also a goldmine with the 10% tithe.
So no the Brothers didn't do Missions.

Posted by: old rocker ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 09:20PM

Tyler Osmond and all the guys in Desert Noises are great guys, and an incrediblely good band. Most original sound I have heard in years and fun to watch. You all should catch them and not worry about their religion.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 08, 2014 08:21PM

Sometimes people need to pay for their mistakes and take the consequences. Having parents who make their kids bad deeds go away are enabling bad behavior.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: May 03, 2013 10:49AM

The Osmond's are nice people. Good kids all of them. Jimmy I thought was a little high and mighty. I used to work with them when they were the popular "Donny and Marie." Hey, kids screw up. I know I did and so did mine. I would hate to have our family under such scrutiny though. Anyway, all this talk about growing up the perfect mormon family is interesting. Isn't that what caused Donny's breakdown - perfect performances? They need to let go of that for sure. Oh well, I wish them all the best.

Posted by: Misty forest ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 06:20PM

Hi just to straighten things up a bit Sheila osmond is not adopted!!!!

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 10:12PM

Posted by: gerry1962 ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:40AM

Yes she is!

Posted by: snowyowl ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 02:06AM

Had to check out "Desert Noises", the band the OP mentioned.

They are really good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq7C4o-GYQk

Posted by: Tara2not logged in ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 03:40AM

Desert Noises are touring and have just signed a recording contract. You can follow them on Facebook. I like their music.

I've met a few of the children of the original Osmonds group and they have all been nice, polite and engaging to talk to. The scrutiny must be terrible at times and they cope well with the attentions of their parents' determined fan base.

Posted by: arlunya ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 01:06AM

I Have Known Shiela For Over 2 Years Now Sheila Is By Far The Best Friend I Have Ever Known. Bad Things Happen To Good People. As For Her Asking For Help I Know I Would Not Ask For Help From My Mother Ever. It's One Of The Worst Feeling Ever. Sheila Has Being A Great Friend And Will Be For A Long Time To Come We All Make Mistakes It's What Makes Us All Human. Lie Off Her As U All Know Nothing About What She Has Being Though And Until U Walk In Someone Elses Shoes U Never Know What Others Around U Are Going Though. Sheila Is A Great Person. With A Heart Of Gold. And Its The Heart Of Gold That Got Her In Trouble

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 08:41PM

makes mistakes. However, it is difficult to understand how one would never think of asking one's mother for help (because it is the worst feeling in the world), yet manage to allow oneself to pass a bad check.

Very strange reasoning there.

Posted by: alx71tx ( )
Date: November 24, 2014 03:33PM

She might have a heart of gold but she apparently doesn't have a brain that understood that if you have a checkbook that you must never write a check for which you can't cover the amount and you must never borrow money unless you have a solid plan to pay it and its exponentially growing interest back in full. Usually the root cause on these types of issues are people who either lack integrity or are ignorant about the realities of the mathematical law of exponents where someone let them pass 4th grade prematurely.

I shake my head in disgust when I see people living paycheck to paycheck who are purposely working less than 60 hours/week, have tatoos, have smartphones, have over 500 square feet of residential space at home per person, drive a new car, buy drinks at places like bars/restaraunts/Starbucks/Peets, eat out, buy fashion clothes/accessories, buy new furniture, buy unnecessary goods/services, and do other unthrifty things. They might consider my criticism harsh but in doing so they are ignoring the realities of the laws of exponents. As a general rule of thumb someone mature enough to understand the benefits of deferred gratification will on average realize about a double benefit for each decade of delay. Thus a penny saved in your 20s is like 2 pennies in your 30s, 4 pennies in your 40s, 8 pennies in your 50s, 16 pennies in your 60s, 32 pennies in your 70s, and 64 pennies in your 80s. Why do people sacrifice their futures/securities for a little bit of gratification now? I'm not suggesting that anyone should be stingy/unhealthy but that they be wise, prudent, and balanced.

Posted by: GetGlennized ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 08:21PM

I'm glad Sheila and Jeremy got arrested. It makes me feel better about myself because the osmonds DO think they are better than anyone else.

As for Jimmy, yes, I agree he is conceited. I saw the osmonds in concert and Jimmy was singing to all the little blond girls who came up to the stage. Each little fan went up one by one at different times, and I thought that was soooo sweet! Singers who give fans their attention is AMAZING! But, when a little hispanic girl, with dark skin and black hair was up there, Jimmy saw her, stopped for a second and kept on walking. He did NOT sing to her. What a racist! She smiled and waited for him to sing to her too, but, he never did! I was sooo embarrassed for the little hispanic girl. Jimmy should be ashamed of himself! He claims to put JESUS first, yet, he acts like a total JERK! This is TRUE. I saw this with my OWN eyes. I was there at the Cow Palace when this happened.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: July 11, 2014 01:22PM

In a judgmental mood, are we?

Oops! Looks like I'm being judgmental too! How human....

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 09:44PM

My stepson was a missionary companion to one of Maries kids. I have nothing bad to say about them. However, I would like to know why in the hell Marie gets to go visit her kids while they're on a mission. Not once, not twice, but THREE times! One of them at Christmas.

My Sson was lucky that his mother got to go pick him up. The only reason that happened is because she's a nevermo and the church saw a missionary opportunity. The whole thing was disgusting.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.