Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 07, 2013 09:47PM

Like I posted earlier, this is a shit day for me. I am also dealing with finals and a bunch of other stuff I don't want to mention right now. If you like or love lilacs please post here. I just spotted some in my backyard today and it made me so happy. Please plus 1 if you love lilacs. IF you don't, that's ok too. You can minus 1 or tell me what other flowering plant you prefer instead. Thanks! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 09:55PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: May 07, 2013 09:50PM

+1

I do love lilacs, although it has been years since I have been around any.

But I have to say, I think I loved your post even more.

Posted by: eldorado ( )
Date: May 07, 2013 09:55PM

+ 1 My Grandma loved lilacs, and I do also. Grandma was what some old timers might call a grand old gal. She drank beer with salt, cursed like a sailor, spoke her mind and loved everyone. So when I see lilacs or smell them i think of her. Sorry your having a cruddy day, sending you well wishes and good vibes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 09:56PM by eldorado.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 07, 2013 09:57PM

I planted two lilac bushes in my yard some years ago, specifically because they remind me of my grandma. I love them as well. She was kind to everyone, nursed the sick and dying. She had survived many diseases such as typhoid and lived into her 90's. She was a generational Mormon, but never really believed in TSCC, If there's a heaven and she's not there, something's not right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 10:00PM by rationalguy.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 07, 2013 09:58PM

+1 for me, as I love the smell of lilacs. My mom had planted a lilac bush at the side of my childhood home, and I loved it when it was in bloom as it was near one of my bedroom windows.

Date: May 07, 2013 09:59PM

My grandma planted mega lilacs before she died. I love hearing about all your lilac stories lol

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: May 07, 2013 10:02PM

Lilacs must be a grandma thing ..Im old and my mother had bushes of white and purple lilacs all up her pathway .. Smelled wonderful for nearly all the summer. Takes me back to the good old days ..

JB

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: May 07, 2013 10:03PM

+1

One of the finest fragrances that nature has to offer. I'll stand like an idiot in front of a lilac bush for quite a long time with my nose in there. And now they're blooming all over the place. Hope they're taking care of your @#$%& day.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: May 07, 2013 10:08PM

+++1 I DO love lilacs. Lilacs bring back memories from many different chapters of my life. I see a lilac bush and I take a journey.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 07, 2013 10:09PM

When I was 16 my boyfriend gave me some lilac scented perfume. I've loved them ever since.

I've moved a lot, and don't always have the luxury of having an armload of lilacs when they're in season. I've been known to pilfer them out of other peoples yards.

I now have 5 lilac bushes that are a year old. They put out just enough for a tiny bouquet.

My old neighbor brought me an armload that she pilfered from the house I sold a couple years ago. That was so nice of her.

When my lilac shrubs get big enough, I won't mind if someone else loves them enough to borrow a few. I've planted lilacs at 7 different houses. I hope the people who live there love them as much as i do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 10:12PM by mia.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 07, 2013 10:15PM

One of the things I hated about So Cal was that they will not grow there. We have two kinds, our neighbor has three other kinds and a third neighbor has another. I know the order they bloom so it gives me an idea of where we are in spring :). I have bushes under one window and roses by another so when the wind is right my house smells like HEAVEN!

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 07, 2013 10:58PM

oops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 10:59PM by mia.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: May 07, 2013 11:55PM

I love lilacs too. One of my most favourite scents!

It's just starting to bloom here so it. yay!

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 12:02AM

I have two, a ordinary vulgaris that was originally given to my mother by my grandmother on her 7th anniversary, and a bicolor sensation. Wish I had room for more.

Date: May 08, 2013 12:19AM

I'm going to cut some tomorrow. I just wish I could make them last longer!

Posted by: CumomCasserole ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 12:37AM

+1

This is so funny because I was lovin' me some lilacs earlier today. Had the babies in the stroller and and we strolled by this one tree that had these big, dark purple clusters. I haven't ever seen that really deep color before. I stopped and just smelled them -- which was not enough so I swiped one and took it home and put it in a vase with some white and light ones from my own yard. I'm admiring them right now. It makes me *almost* believe there is a god. Love that you started this thread.

Date: May 08, 2013 12:43AM

there is NOTHING like that smell to me. It instantly throws me into another dimension. I love it! I'm glad you appreciate it too. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.