Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 01:02PM

This really looks like a typical mormon scam, but it does not look like typical garments.

But who would wear a T shirt with a golf shirt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqZgxgd91rc

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 01:17PM

Those don't look like Mormon garments to me. The neck isn't wide enough, and Mormons aren't supposed to let their garments show like that. I don't have any explanation for wearing a t-shirt under a golf shirt though.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 01:22PM

Dude is a "wealth" expert in St George, Utah.

I'm guessing yes.

We had crew neck garmies in the military to be in compliance with regulations. He may have a set of those.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/barrybrooksby

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 01:33PM

And a link to a Ballard talk on his FB page. ;-)

spaghetti, P.I.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 12:06AM

Those are the only kind of garmies I used to wear. Same reason, I was working a job where you had to have a neckline visible beneath your uniform.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 07:03AM

Maybe you're right. I had forgotten about the crew neck garments, and I didn't know Mormons let them show like that. I always thought you were supposed to keep them completely covered, especially when wearing short pants.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 01:57PM

Impossible to tell for sure but very likely based on all the other stuff mentioned. I do know people that wear white shirts under gold shirts though. Mind that's up here in the cold white north, not in St. George.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 02:00PM

They make crew cut garments as well, at least in the 90's when I wore them.

Its too hard to tell. A lot of non-Mormon's wear white shirts like that as an undergarment.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 06:56AM

I discovered crew neck garments on my mission in the 80s. Some branches of the military and some police forces required a visible undershirt beneath the uniform. So the church made crew neck garments for them. But they'd sell them to anybody. I never wore anything else for 20 years. I hated the whole "celestial smile" design. For a while the crew necks were also the only ones that came in 100% cotton too. I hated the mesh other fabrics. In theory they were suppossed to be cooler but they felt like saran wrap to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 07:22AM by peregrine.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 02:05PM

here is what I think is going on. He is wearing a regular t-shirt underneath the golf shirt (i.e. mormon guy uniform) WITH his garments on underneath all of that.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 02:21PM

He is definitely is not TBM and hasn't worn garments for over 30 years.

I recently had dinner with a TBM ex-fiance who wears garmies and was also weearing a crewneck undershirt with an nice dress shirt. Too many layers!

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 11:34PM

Yeah, looks like a crew necked top.

Posted by: crafty ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 11:36PM

My DH got rid of his garments recently and yes, they were all crew neck.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 12:10PM

Looks exactly like the crew neck of a male garment top. It's a regular undershirt worn under an outer shirt.
Seen the same thing hundreds of times. Perfectly normal male attire in the LDS Church.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 12:17PM

As a St. Georgian, I can tell you that a lot of the LDS men in the area wear garments like that.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 12:18PM

Living my entire life in the eastern United States, I have been sighted a couple times at work for looking unprofessional for having a white t-shirt visible beneath my collar. The first was at a place where we had to wear polo shirts, and my employer thought it looked stupid. I didn't have any low cut garment tops, so I basically had to explain the whole garment thing to him. From then on, I was the weird Mormon guy, and people were always coming up to me saying, "Hey Coke drinker, Linda here doesn't believe you have to wear special underwear for your church. Can you explain it to her?"

The second time was because I was wearing a white collared shirt beneath a police uniform shirt. There had been a high profile killing in another part of the country, where it was learned the murderer had aimed for the white shirt of a cop, where it showed just above the collar, because he knew there would be no vest there. Nearly every police department in the country, except those in Utah where undershirts are magic, then banned exposed white shirts, in order to eliminate the easy reference point. I again had to explain my magical underwear.

Posted by: exbishfromportland ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 10:16PM

I've seen Mormons wear white T shirts over the top of garments and then another shirt over the top of that. Too many layers...ridiculous!

Posted by: josie ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 10:18PM

I know non-Mo guys in Utah who are advised to wear T-shirts under their clothes to avoid discrimination.

Posted by: Pdoffexmormon (not signed in) ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 01:07PM

I suspect it's similar to underarmor which plenty of tour golfers wear. Warm in winter wicks sweat in summer for cooling, and yes a shirt is worn over it.

X

Posted by: exrldsgirl ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 01:26PM

I've seen plenty of guys wearing plain white t-shirts under shirts like the one this guy is wearing. I've always lived in places where Mormons are very rare.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.