Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wellsville ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 09:59PM

Is PD only a big deal in Utah and Idaho wards or does slc force all wards worldwide to celebrate PD such as in nonwhite wards in the USA and make nonwhites wear wagon trail outfits and celebrate utah culture

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2013 10:01PM by wellsville.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 11:15PM

I never went to church in that other state I used to live in before moving back to Utah, but I can assure you, the last thing on the TBM minds that did exist in that state was to celebrate anything to do with pioneer day. It really does seem to be a Utah/Idaho/Wyoming thing for the most part. I think it's utterly ridiculous. Especially if you are a non mormon who works for the state. Why should you have to take the day off because of mormons? Some mormon businesses may give you holiday pay and if that's so then YAY! But I'm guessing the majority of them just expect you to lose money that day and go sit at home if you're not a TBM.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 11:28PM

It's not a holiday but they try their best to celebrate it in Mesa, AZ.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: May 16, 2013 11:46PM

I remember Primary parades in the parks for the 24th in Southern CA. I think there might have been pancake breakfasts for the adults on the nearest weekend--but I never went to one of these.

Best celebration is the 24th at the Hotel Utah saloon in San Francisco. It's held annually to commemorate--Freedom.

Posted by: wilson ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 07:53AM

When I lived in Tacoma Washington our ward had a bbq the on the 24th but that was about it and now I'm living in SLC about a block from the parade route and never go to it, but I Still celebrate on the 24th of july but call it "Pie n’ Beer Day".

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 08:29AM

They celebrate PD in Connecticut because most of the members here came from Utah. Locals don't get called to high offices here.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 09:49AM

Having been born and raised in Salt Lake by mobots, I didn't know that PD was a local thing. In my early twenties I had the opportunity to go river running on the Snake outside of Jackson over PD. It was an eye-opening experience. The people went on their daily routine oblivious to that special day.

And as I said, it was eye-opening. We had just pulled out of the river and were waiting our transportation to show when I noticed some kayakers pulling out of the river. My thoughts were that that must be fun, one of them is really cute, wait a minute, she's getting out of her wetsuit, hey! she has nothing on underneath!

Yes, PD very different outside of mordor.

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 05:00PM

Growing up in the Seattle area, pioneer day was just a pioneer themed Primary activity. The kids would dress up as pioneers, churn butter and eat it on homemade bread. I never remember the adults celebrating it.

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 05:20PM

like the Fourth of July for the USA or
Patriots Day on April 18 for Massachusetts.

And, no, most mormons outside UTAH, ID don't celebrate it. Sometimes the Primary kids sing the songs, but every year the church becomes a little less xenophobic, they sing them less.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 05:40PM

I worked for a major US corporation in their SLC branch office in the 1970s. If we wanted July 24th off, we had to use one of our optional personal holidays. One time on the 24th I chose NOT to take it off so I went into the office to work.

Pretty soon the phone started ringing. Outside people from all over the country were calling in and there was no automatic pickup with a message telling them that the office was closed. I answered the phone a half dozen times and then realized that I could be doing that all day. So I just let it ring and tried to ignore it.

But it was hard to concentrate with the damn phone ringing constantly.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 07:39PM

It's pretty big in the San Luis Valley in Colorado. Manassa has two days of parades, rodeos and demolition derbies. The small town of 1000 swells to 40,000 or more making it hard to get around.

I usually go to the mountains that weekend but I've made some pretty good money buying booze for mormons who don't want to be seen at the liquor store. It's the only time of year they get loaded and it ain't pretty.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 17, 2013 08:55PM

It was a huge deal in Lovelock Nevada when I was growing up. I remember seeing all sorts of people at the park for the pancake breakfast and games. Even the non-Mormons came. I think they ignored the Mormon significance and just enjoyed it like a county fair or something.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.