Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: milkb4myth ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 02:41PM

This past Sunday I had to attend a Sacrament mtg in far N. Idaho, way up toward the Canadian border. About 125 people showed up, from a ward that I am told numbers 562 from the rolls of the church.

The opening prayer was given by a middle-aged man. Typical prayer, as always beginning with "we thank thee for this day". Then the word "grateful" was used umpteen times.

The opening song was "Praise to the man".

The first speaker said she was assigned by the bishop to talk on "obedience, with references to recent General Conference talks".

The last speaker was assigned to talk about "tithing, with reference to recent General Conference talks".

The closing hymn was "If you could hie to Kolob".

The mood, the atmosphere in the chapel was DEAD! No teaching from the word of God (the Bible), no excitement or LIFE through fervently singing praises to the Lord.

Instead, a drippy 2 yr old was spitting up soggy Cheerios in the pew in front of me, 3 screaming kids had to be taken out to the foyer, Joseph Smith was praised through song, uninspired Conference talks were sleepily, boringly regurgitated, and the stupid and false notion of a planet near the star Kolob was lauded in musical fashion. Sad, sad excuse for a church service....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 8thgeneration ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 02:43PM

Why did you have to attend? If you were on the road, what a better excuse to not show up.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 02:46PM

The best part of church was watching toddlers wander up and down the aisles.

Posted by: milkb4myth ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 02:53PM

...I had to show up since I was visiting a friend and promised (several months ago) that I would attend.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 03:01PM

I loved reading this. Thank you for posting it.

Yeah, looks like any typical Christian service, as TSCC would have us believe.

Your last paragraph made me spew Diet Coke laughing:

"Instead, a drippy 2 yr old was spitting up soggy Cheerios in the pew in front of me, 3 screaming kids had to be taken out to the foyer, Joseph Smith was praised through song, uninspired Conference talks were sleepily, boringly regurgitated, and the stupid and false notion of a planet near the star Kolob was lauded in musical fashion. Sad, sad excuse for a church service...."

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 03:11PM

Yep, that sounds exactly like the Christian church I attend. Well, except our music is upbeat and joyful, my toddler is in her own classroom having fun, the sermon is interesting and I do it all with a cup of free coffee in my hand. Yeah, pretty much the same.

Posted by: Nevermo1 ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 03:34PM

Not those two bloody hymns again!Oh soo Christian!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 09:31PM

I could see non-Mormons walking into that sacrament meeting and thinking, praise to whom? If I could hie to where? They would have no clue!

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 03:44PM

I keep expecting them to take "If I could Hie to Kolob" out of the hymn book. It's just too weird for the current image of the church. They can't change the words enough to make it politically correct and christian sounding enough to not sound like a Southpark episode.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 05:12PM

My favorite kid in sacrement meeting, was a hyperactive son of one of the Bishopric counselors. The kid I believe nowdays would be diagnosed as austistic; we just thought he was a little wierd. The father always brought him up to the stand so he could keep him under control and the father always fell asleep during the talks. One sunday the kid was playing with the dad's clothing and while he was asleep reached down and pulled down Dad's Zipper... Dad stood up in shock .... it was a great meeting.

Posted by: tao ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 09:15PM

topping

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 10:13PM

22 years out and have not missed a thing!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 12:25AM

Is it now The Church of Tithing and Obedience? It seems like that's all they teach now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.