Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wellsville ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 08:06AM

It will be a good recruiting tool such as mishies visiting potential converts and having coffee and pastries. Coffee ban turns off potential converts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nevermo1 ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 08:11AM

I agree that it does particularly in colder climates with coffee cultures.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 08:24AM

I think it will be a cold day in Starbucks before that happens. True, the WoW has evolved over the history of the church, so it's possible it will evolve further, but the "hot drinks" thing is right there in the scripture, plain as day. SOME hot beverage needs to be forbidden. Official policy has been clarified that it means coffee and tea. Since the brethren have become loathe to clarifying ANY doctrines other than obedience, and since they got up the guts to get specific about coffee and tea, it would be very hard for them to backtrack.

Besides, the way Mormonism is set up, the WoW is a qualifying test, something to measure conformity and worthiness. It separates the faithful from the infidel. It's like Mormonism's circumcision. "What will you give up for God?" It's about sacrifice. And about obedience training. If you'll give up coffee, then giving up other things for the church becomes easier.

Posted by: almostgone ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 10:19AM

Actually in south america it's only black tea that is prohibited. Coffee still is but any tea that is not black is ok

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 08:54AM

in the 70's, the Grand Po-Bah sent out a SM ltr saying de-caf was OK (along with their usual ambiguity, that is).

'Of Course' these ltrs aren't available to 99.9% of the rank-and-file now; only a rare ward keeps a file of those available to the membership; such an easy task it would be to post them on the internetwebz...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2013 08:57AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: emily ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 11:42AM

Well that would explain why my Grandma's cousin was drinking de-caf at lunch when I visited her years ago. I just figured she was a jack mormon.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 08:58AM

My daughter worked at the AF Starbucks during her senior year . On Saturday nights the Mormon kids would pile in for hot chocolates. One night they ran out and a coworker put a sign on the door "out of Mormon drinks".

No I don't think they will bend that rule. Too much opportunity for self-righteousness

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2013 09:00AM by caedmon.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 09:58AM

I DOUBT IT

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 10:35AM

Intersecting with Mia's thread, coffee is a great mormon repellant. I feel safe and secure being in a coffee house.

(Though, I am able to recognize the post-witnessing get-togethers of JWs....)

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 10:36AM

Maybe a compromise?...

Do you drink coffee?

Do you drink alcohol?

Do you masturbate?

Well, Breedum, we are going to give you a 6 month TR only.

Come back in 6 and we will re-evaluate yer progress...

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 03:17PM

Progress...

Yes, sipping Irish Coffee through a straw while leaving both hands free to take care of business.

That's like the triple crown of righteousness.

Still can't do it after six months? Then you must confess to your bishop so he can give you pointers to improve your technique.

See, all things are possible with the help of the Lard's servants.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 11:02AM

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 11:08AM

It already is permitted, I know plenty of daily coffee drinkers who carry a current temple recommend.

I guess it depends on your tithing payments....

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 11:19AM

I was permitted to have a TR even though I "confessed" to drinking coffee when driving on trips. Encouraged to drink coke instead. Coffee works better. Not paying a "full" tithing? No TR,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2013 11:20AM by rhgc.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 11:47AM

Caffiene is now ok, depending on the temperature. So, in a sense, iced coffee is ok.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/01/mormon-caffeine-policy-cl_n_1848098.html

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 02:53PM

A TBM friend told me a story back in the 90's.

Apparently the prophet was dismayed at how many people weren't getting recommends because they were drinking coffee.

He decided to askGod if this particular rule could be lifted. So he fasted and prayed and prayed about it. The answer came back NO this cannot be changed. So, apparently God himself talked to his prophet and once again God has made it clear that he doesn't want Mormons drinking coffee.

I think this faith promoting story is a load of BS. I thought it was a load of BS at the time. I highly doubt that the president of the corporation went without a couple meals and talked to God about changing this rule. I do think he may have had a meeting with the rest of the cronies and it was discussed. They could instantly get more money if they lifted this ban. However it has been a great way to demand that members can be sorted out as good and not good. All these years the coffee drinkers have been demonized as the unrighteous. So suddenly make them righteous might cause a lot of resentments.It might cause a lot of resentment between the do's and don'ts. They took a vote. No! nothing is going to change. Now let's go get the story out there that God told the prophet NO.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 02:55PM

Easy. Either call coffee something else or deny there ever was a ban - it was "Mormon folklore." Doctrine will not be changed; it will be clarified.

:)

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 03:50PM

A coffee company somewhere is missing the boat. They need to sell their coffee to the church as being an ok coffee to drink.

Then the church could say ok only ABC coffee is ok to drink. No other. ABC then pays some royalties. Mormons can now righteously drink ABC coffee.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.