Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Widget ( )
Date: May 26, 2013 05:17PM

For many years, the summary read:

"Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Nauvoo, Illinois, recorded 12 July 1843, relating to the new and everlasting covenant, including the eternity of the marriage covenant, and also the plurality of wives (see History of the Church, 5:501–7). Although the revelation was recorded in 1843, it is evident from the historical records that the doctrines and principles involved in this revelation had been known by the Prophet since 1831."

With hundreds of thousands of Latter-day Saints going online since the mid-1990s and learning was an adulterous scumbag JS was and resigning from the Morg, TSCC has changed the summary for D&C 132 to:

"Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Nauvoo, Illinois, recorded July 12, 1843, relating to the new and everlasting covenant, including the eternity of the marriage covenant and the principle of plural marriage. Although the revelation was recorded in 1843, evidence indicates that some of the principles involved in this revelation were known by the Prophet as early as 1831." (Ref. https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/132?lang=eng)

Crucially, two of the "principles involved in this revelation...known by the Prophet since 1831" were, per D&C 132:61:

"And again, as pertaining to the law of the priesthood—if any man espouse [marry] a virgin, and desire to espouse another, and the first [wife] give her consent, and if he espouse the second, and they are virgins, and have vowed to no other man, then is he justified; he cannot commit adultery for they are given unto him; for he cannot commit adultery with that that belongeth unto him and to no one else."

Todd Compton's masterful and illuminating 1997 book, "In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith", revealed that JS desired to "espouse" not only "virgins", but other men's wives (i.e., non-virgins, each vowed to her husband). That habit, stupid as it was, alone made him an adulterer. For those not familiar with it, the list of the 11 married women is online at http://www.wivesofjosephsmith.org/

Another 'faith'-busting Mormon historical fact is that JS repeatedly did not ask "the first" wife - Emma, in his case - to obtain "her consent" if he could "espouse another" virgin. For example, Lucy Walker, a Mormon teenager in Nauvoo whom JS pressured to become his plural wife in the early 1840s, wrote: "Emma Smith was not present and she did not consent to the marriage; she did not know anything about it at all." (Ref. http://www.wivesofjosephsmith.org/23-LucyWalker.htm)

Why was Emma unaware that her 37-year-old philandering husband was marrying - illegally - yet another female in the Latter-day Saint community? "Emma was in St. Louis buying supplies for the Nauvoo hotel," says the LucyWalker.htm webpage.

The historical evidence is clear: the LD$ Church's so-called "prophet" of the Restoration", Joseph Smith, was a consummate liar, manipulator, and sexual predator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 26, 2013 05:36PM

Interesting that it isn't doctrinal anymore -- just a principle.

Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: May 26, 2013 06:53PM

I came back from my mission SOLELY for faith problems. D&C 132 was the first thing that I read after coming home that gave me FACTUAL evidence against the church as a fraud. Now they're trying to cover it up. I hate TSCC so much.

---- WAIT, what am I saying? The thing that stood out to me was the abusive language that JS used against Emma. They STILL aren't covering that up. PRAISE SWEET JESUS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2013 06:55PM by earlyrm.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: May 26, 2013 10:50PM

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: May 26, 2013 11:47PM

Prior to 1876, Section 101 in the doctrine and covenants prohibited polygamy.

In 1876, section 101 was removed and replaced with section 132. I don't know if the 1876 version had a chapter heading or not, but it might be interesting.

Just a quick look at the list of signatories in the Times and Seasons article shows a good number of Annointed Quorom members. To be a member of that Quorom they would have to practice polygamy or at least agree with the concept.

So even in 1842, the Times and Seasons article was an attempt at mis-direction.

http://www.mormonhandbook.com/home/doctrine-and-covenants-section-101.html

Good post Widget, this is the stuff that opened my eyes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2013 11:49PM by rutabaga.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 05:50PM

Intermarriage with the Lamanite women-1831:
http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/indianpolygamyrevelation.htm

Exhibit A:

April 3, 1836 - Elijah restores the sealing keys to Joseph Smith

Exhibit B:

Fanny Alger married to Joseph Smith "about 1833"

Exhibit C:

"The Prophet Joseph Smith and those closest to him, including Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball, were challenged by this command, but they obeyed it. Church leaders regulated the practice. Those entering into it had to be authorized to do so, and the marriages had to be performed through the sealing power of the priesthood."

http://mormon.org/faq/plural-marriage

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 06:10PM

done & DONE.

It w/couldn't happen else the LDS learned / KNOWS how to Spin Anything, wrap it in some pretty paper, etc.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 06:57PM

They essentially say, "No matter what you might read in the following material, or how plainly it says it, THIS is what it really means. Do NOT trust your own understanding. Believe what we tell you."

Posted by: Zap ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 08:50PM

A man needed his wife's permission to marry again, unless she refused to give her permission. If she did refuse, then she was out of the way, and he no longer needed her permission.

Makes perfect sense - for him.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 03:17AM

Wow--I hate to say this, but with my editor's green eyeshade on, I like the new one a little better--it's tighter.

I find the phrase "the plurality of wives" idiosyncratic and awkward.

As for the substance, Isn't "plural marriage" a more accurate description of what was going on, since Joe indirectly created "plural husbands" too.

Also, to my ears, "principal" sounds weightier and more eternal than "doctrine".

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 04:58AM

It's when the cult pulls crap like this that just really makes my shame response skyrocket because I had any involvement with it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.