Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exbishfromportland ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 08:21PM

When you give someone a heartfelt hug, both of your bodies release a little bit of the "feel good" hormone Oxytocin. When a mother nurses her baby, this intimate contact causes both of them to release this hormone and helps them bond to each other. When two people without garments hug, there is a lot of skin to skin contact. This releases a lot of oxytocin and promotes closeness with that significant other you are sharing that experience with.
To finish making love and hurriedly put garments back on because you think God is standing over you with a stopwatch...it short circuits the experience and you miss out on a lot. It perpetuates the guilt and the lie that God only tolerates sex; if you can get back into your garments fast enough.
Weirdly enough, over the years I've heard people say you can have sex with your garments on. I've heard of people swimming in their own outdoor swimming pools (while LDS guests were over) wearing a swimsuit over their garments. I've even heard of someone taking a bath while letting their garments hang off their big toe, because they didn't feel right about being out of contact with their garments.

Does it makes sense that God, who created the entire universe, really give a care in the world what kind of underwear you have on?

Bottom line: It's about control, pure and simple. The church wants to control what you do, what pictures you have on the walls of your home, what music you listen to, what TV programs and movies you watch, the thoughts inside your head and everything single thing you do with your body; from tattoos, to how many pairs of earrings you wear, to your hats, footwear and how much of your body you can show.
And it is all utterly, totally, completely wrong.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 10:59PM

Interesting. Any links?

Date: May 28, 2013 02:47AM

Good suggestion! Here's one from Wikipedia, always a pretty good place to start.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin

Posted by: alphonso ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 04:33AM

Can you feel oxytocin?

I know when I hold my newborn-toddler nieces/nephews against my chest, I feel an enormous rush through my entire chest passing through my body for the entire time. It can be intense and feels delightful. Its one of the reasons I love holding them other than they're so DARN cute and loveable. It just might be what people call "love" but its just incredible.

I just always wonder about that feeling. I also can feel it when I am hugging/holding a family member or other loved one.

Guess I'll read the oxytocin article now. hehe.

Posted by: epsynonia ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 10:36AM

Look up Kangaroo Care (my apologies if it's in the article) skin to skin contact between a parent and premature baby. I've done this with two of my babies who were born preterm. Holding my daughter like that while she was hooked up to a monitor I could see the change in her heart rate and respiration, for the better. She would go from being tachypnic with tachycardia and agitated to normal hr and respiration and calm/peaceful. The change was amazing. It has to be skin to skin. One of our NICU nurses told us you could tell the difference between a "kangaroo-ed" baby and one who wasn't.

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 10:59AM

One of the many deal breakers in my TBM Marriage. I just never wanted to put them back on after and she was about obedience.

Date: May 28, 2013 03:11PM

alphonso - that's it...oxytocin.
Whether you believe in God or not, this hormonal release is something that is definitely beneficial to people. Hugs feel good and they are good for you.
And the skin on skin feeling with someone you are in love with...your skin is the biggest organ of your body and this sensation is wonderful.

Posted by: alphonso(not logged in) ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 03:46PM

On the subject of oxytocin and stuff, this reminds me of Chinese medicine with the subject of Qi.

I have read what I can on the subject to understand how the flow of those energies affect our bodies and health. when I feel those rushes holding people/babies, I wonder about those energies and biochemical responses. you definitely can feel changes in your body.

For example, I used to be quite serious about meditation and could go deeply into meditative trances for an hour or longer. I would feel my body respond by deep relaxation, rushes of sensation passing through my body, feelings of bliss / peace, and sustained mental stability (not sure what to call it). But the feelings were awesome. I quit eventually cause I got to a point where I would feel surges of electricity pass through me when I meditated, believe Hindus call that kundalini energy. But it feels like someone touched me with a live wire, it's real annoying.

Something else related but strange. I had a friend who loved and worked with crystals, which I did not understand but did not judge. She was showing me her crystals and I was looking at them. I picked up a blue crystal called Kyanite. Immediately I felt sensations pass through my hand while holding it. She let me have it. At home, I experimented with it. At first just holding and feeling intense pleasure through my hands. Then I placed it on my chest and almost fell over at the rush. I laid down and while touching my chest with the Kyanite felt intoxicated. I put the stone down but the feelings of drunkenness continued for 20-30 minutes. the stone continued to have that effect on me over several days before it faded and became just another stone. what a trip. I would love to get drunk just holding a stone.

Anyway, in connection with this topic does anyone have insight on this? I have tried to understand this experience and fail. Have never found sources to explain it or give perspective. I know western science fails here, most likely, as they cannot explain acupuncture.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.