Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DonQuijote ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 11:15PM

Remember the black walnut tree that Hinckley had made into a pulpit when the conference center was built? Well, one of my friends helped build the conference center and spoke with the guys who built the pulpit. They told him that after they cut down his black walnut tree they saw that most of the wood was no good. They didn't want to let him down because he was so excited about it, so they didn't tell him. They said that maybe 1% of the pulpit actually has part of his tree in it, the rest is made of black walnut wood from other trees. It's kinda sad they tricked him since he afterwards made a huge deal about it in conference and even cried over it. But it just goes to show how incredibly easy it is to trick a prophet.

Story of the Conference Center Pulpit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb6hQueUK70

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoeTwo ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 11:28PM

Though I'd already left the church, that was one of the last talks I ever watched because my [now ex-]wife was watching conference. It disgusted me since it was so egotistical. Who gets up and brags like that? Even my TBM brother was disgusted by the talk.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 11:42PM

Comments should be left on youtube. Perhaps a questioning of why GBH had intensive cancer treatment at age 97 when he was allegedly having meetings with jesus every week.

Posted by: Jesus ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 12:56AM

At 97, he should have just let the whole thing go and accept death like a man. But he kept insisting on meeting with me to find some kind of way to beat it.

I finally just gave up. There wasn't a damn thing I could do about it, anyway.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:46AM

We are both stuck in outer darkness now for all our lyin and deception.

Fuck that Mormon religion.

It got me in alot of trouble with Jeezus.

Breedum

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 03:56AM

deco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Comments should be left on youtube. Perhaps a
> questioning of why GBH had intensive cancer
> treatment at age 97 when he was allegedly having
> meetings with jesus every week.

it might be hard to trick a prophet but its not hard to fool a dumb ass like Gordon BS Hinckley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIegG8Gi1Ng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMDK5hiPezY

MORmON could justify any expenditure for preserving their idiot leader's life. what they can not justify is why he is such a damn LIAR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khD0d4FB3kk

How about questioning why LDS Inc. hired a PR firm, IE deferring to a PR firm when they have The all knowing creator of the universe on tap for consultation.

.........try to script that one for me -when Jesus tells Hinckley that its over His divine head and that Gordon needs to go ahead and submit a big fat check to retain a PR firm, a Jewish PR firm at that.

leaves some comments that are critical of Gordon BS Hinckley at this video, where they will approved instead of deleted like at the LDS INC controlled sites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kkema-oqtM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 04:51AM by lucky.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:42AM

Wasn't it his chemo treatment that actually killed him? My understanding was that he insisted on chemo at 97 and couldn't handle the effects, dying within a week.

Date: May 28, 2013 06:05PM

perhaps that really is the case, he should have died of embarrassment years ago, but the idiot did not have enough sense for that to happen.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 11:52PM

Gordon B. Wrinckley is probably sitting there right now, flapping his flappy lips at the other ancient doddering con men about how they brought dirt from England to bury him in.

Date: May 28, 2013 04:46AM

munchybotaz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gordon B. Wrinckley is probably sitting there
> right now, flapping his flappy lips at the other
> ancient doddering con men about how they brought
> dirt from England to bury him in.

Gordon Hinckley is in MORmON heaven (HELL) with Joseph Smith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khD0d4FB3kk

Posted by: Brainfrees ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 12:34AM

I heard that talk while still a TBM. I thought it was a cool circle of life kind of thing but since I know a little about hardwoods and walnut, I thought, that must have been one amazingly large and above average quality tree. That pulpit is huge so I can believe the 1%. I just thought they probably did some inlays or veneers, rather than build the whole pulpit from his tree as he made it sound. So pile another debunked FPR on the stack that grows larger everyday.

Posted by: rusty123 ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 01:20AM

Hinckley probably knew but decided to embellish the story anyways because it would be more faith promoting for the members...I mean isn't that how the church works?

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 02:44AM

I hope the builders of the pulpit kept documentation on where they got the wood, and what they did. I think that's a hilarious story.

It shows how clueless the so called prophets are. Even when the veil is very thin.

Posted by: Brainfrees ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:17AM

I know my dW planted a few and her parents planted a bunch.

Not that I'm against planting trees, but baaa-baaa (sheep sounds).

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 05:22AM

I wouldn't be surprised if GBH did have an idea that the pulpit wasn't 100% sourced from his single tree.... but as in all things, only the faith-promoting element is mentioned.

Nice vaneer....rotten core....mingled with other things.....hmmmmm, I'm sure there's a good analogy there somewhere!

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:47AM

"Nice vaneer....rotten core....mingled with other things.....hmmmmm, I'm sure there's a good analogy there somewhere!"

LOL!

Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 04:31PM

Don, thanks for sharing that. It's always nice to hear inside stories! I believe I heard that it was a very thin amount of walnut wood but mostly veneer. I just don't remember where.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 05:01PM

The interviewer lady "This must have been a big tree!" as he's listing all of the stuff they made from it.

Posted by: mandy ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 06:24PM

Totally egotistical. Reminds me..... DH got a book about Elder packers art work that he does. His home is one big shrine to himself. There is a big ornately carved and painted sign hanging as you enter their yard that says, Boyd K Packer.
Not, The Packers, or The Packer family..... nooooo just Boyd gets any recognitions.
I cant stand egotistical men.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 08:48PM

That's enough to "gag a maggot".

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 08:41PM

His grandson told there was enough walnut tree left over that each grandchild received a miniature pulpit. I never believed there was enough wood for the original pulpit let alone enough for mini pulpits.

I always thought that maybe each piece had token piece of the tree? As with all Mormon stories, only partial truth, if any at all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.