Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 10:20AM

Quantum of the Seas is a new ship by Royal Caribbean that has amenities never before installed on a cruise ship. It cost just $936 million to build.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=705
The technology that went into this ship blows anything that City Creek provides off the map and again at ¼ the cost. When you look at the billions that was supposedly spent on City Creek by the LDS Church it just makes a person go WTF? This is all we get?

Compare the motives of the LDS men in charge of the Widow’s mite who stood in pride the day they opened the mall with big smiling faces as the Prophet said “Let’s go shopping” with real world Christian endeavors.

Why would God, who could have spent those billions building a fleet of hospital ships https://www.mercyships.org/s/index.php that could have provided a fantastic service to human beings in the world, spent it on a bland mall in SLC? What kind of cowardly, protectionist, greedy, selfish kind of God is that? How members can be so apathetic and yet so proud of such a thing is a testament to an organization that can mold a humans thinking from birth and rob it of its right to question and to act on those doubts and questions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 05:15PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 10:39AM

Makes you wonder if the mall was a front for siphoning expenses to another project or people. Maybe they're buying another mountain and turning it into a vault full of gold or something.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 11:16AM

Im pretty sure that the amount of church $ spent/'invested' in CCM is being exaggerated all over town, BUT TSCC opens themselves for it as they Refuse to be transparent, don't they?

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 11:31AM

The mall is an investment for the church via holding companies. The holding companies siphon money to church leaders and their families. This is part of the strong incentive for leaders not to go off the reservation by funneling money to them and their children/grandchildren. This is my guess and I feel I am probably correct. A floating ship would depreciate in value and require constant manintenance. The return on investment would be much lower, though the good a hospital ship could do would be enormous. The PR would be good also, but that is not the number one objective in this case.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 01:52PM

I just got off a cruise ship and all the frequent cruisers (which we are) were discussing this incredibly luxurious glass shopping emporium/entertainment complex being built on a new Royal Caribbean ship. (Thanks for the link!)

***SHIP'S AHOYYYYYYYYY!! I'M COMING BABY!!!***

(Fidget, you in?)

;o)

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 02:06PM

I spent four nights on the Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas, and it was pretty great. I don't think I could spend that long at the mall.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 02:24PM

The simple answer is Royal Caribbean is not a cult

Date: May 28, 2013 02:35PM

Though it's possible that CocoCay is the Celestial Kingdom.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 05:02PM

Oooooooo . . . yes it is! I was just there. My husband and I (celebrating our 20th anniversary) spent the better part of the day discussing our ideal celestial kingdom in the afterlife. *Our* heaven is most definitely a private beach in the Caribbean.

;o)

Date: May 28, 2013 10:21PM

It was better than I expected. They kept talking it up on the ship, and I was skeptical. But I had a great time. It was a little unnerving though, standing on an island with nothing but water to the horizon all the way around. I loved Royal Caribbean. It was a great time.

Happy anniversary!

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 03:23PM

reminds me of a post making its way around FB where a blogger claims the reason the church is closing a bunch of canneries is because of increased costs due to gov regulations.

Come on really? the gov is requiring regulations be met for food manufacturing and that additional cost is the reason for closing them?

It is just bizarre that a rational thinking person can look at that and think that the church has a hard time coming up with the money to meet a few food packaging regulations for less fortunate people and still have billions to spend on a mall!

The ability for the human brain to twist itself into a pretzel to believe things that don't make sense continues to amaze me.

Posted by: rose park ranger ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 10:07PM

I got my copy at Big Lots. But check out "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea".

It's a history of the cruise industry.

Royal Caribbean either got a big subsidy for that ship or it was built in a 3rd world country.

Yes, the Morg dodges taxes and probably hired undocumented immigrants. But the Morg are rank amateurs at questionable business practices compared to cruise lines.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.