Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: EvilBigHead ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 01:38AM

From an interview with David Silverman, president of the American Atheist's Group, on the O'Reilly Factor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XEgkViLbTk) at 1:51 in the video:
O'Reilly: I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that. You can explain why the tide goes in...

Silverman: Tide goes in, tide goes out...?

O'Reilly: Yeah, see, the water -- the tide comes in and it goes out, Mr. Silverman. It always goes in...

Silverman: Maybe it's Thor up on Mount Olympus who's making the tides go in and out...

O'Reilly: No no, but you can't explain that... you can't explain it...

Now, from The Teachings of President Brigham Young, Vol 3, 1852-1854, page 241 (12Feb1854):
I am not aware that any of the philosophers or astronomers have told you that the Earth is a living creature and breathes as much as you and I do. It is the breathing of the Earth that causes the ebbing and the flowing of the tides, and not the moon as some have vainly supposed. The moon has nothing to do with this natural phenomenon. The motion is natural to the Earth and independent of the moon's influence. It is the life in the Earth that forces the internal waters to the summits of some of the highest mountains which often gush out forming lakes, and springs. I am now exposing my ignorance to you astronomers, but I boast no, when I say I know as much about it as you so, and then a little more.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 01:51AM

The church has focused on Joseph Smith reinventing him to be this tall, blonde stud that was misunderstood but loved by his followers.

Brigham Young has systematically been reduced to the guy who led the treck west and said "This is the Place." That's it about Brigham Young.

Posted by: glad2bout ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 02:56AM

The tide comes in and the tide goes out. The sun comes up and the sun goes down. -Bill O'Really

And O'Really takes pride in his being a teacher in the public education system in his younger days?! I learned in elementary school why there is tidal flow and that the sun really doesn't rise or set, yet Bill is still ignorant even now.

Bill and Brigham exposing the ignorance of religion and its adherents.

Posted by: fmrly ExmoinCO ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 02:59AM

I'm actually more pissed off at Mr.Silverman for not being able to nail Bill O on his ignorance. Just because you don't understand how something works does not make it evidence for the existence of a god.

Posted by: glad2bout ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 03:10AM

From my perception, Mr. Silverman was blindsided by the gigantic flow of ignorance exuded by O'Really. A rational dialogue certainly allows for a more realistic conversation, something which O'Really isn't interested in having. The ridiculous response presented by Mr. Silverman merely matched the ridiculous assertion made by the host.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 03:22AM

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/category/ratings

If you have ever worked in the television industry you know it's about one thing. Ratings. For whatever reason FOX and especially O'reilly rank high in the ratings and that means $$$$$$$$$$. Simple as that.

It's all political theater anyways. It's showbiz for ugly people and has less substance than pro wrestling.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:00AM

...much in the same way that Brigham Young would probably explain; nothing to do with escape velocity and Newton's Laws--no, no, God is keeping the ISS in orbit.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:04AM

The night of the walking braindead.

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:08AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.