Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 09:21AM

Before you read this understand that the point of this post is not I repeat not a political position but a point based on recent news reports.

This morning on the local radio. On my way from the gym, it was announced that Mitt will be hosting several potential 2016 presidential candidates for big money donors at Deer Valley resort some time in the near future.

I will repeat at this point. What ever your political position is - great. Not where I'm headed here. But I digress.

It was revealed by one of Mitt's sons that he did not want to be president. When I heard this reported the bell went off. Mitt had been assigned a calling. Now after today's news I think Mitt has again been assigned a calling.

He can do what he wants.

It just frustrates me that LDS inc. is doing everything it possibly can too not only insert it's values (Read as system of public governance, it's stance on civil rights and freedoms, and it's overall view of humanity. Primarily it's treatment of all non members, non whites et al) and made up religion/history on the American people.

Further more if the political parties in this country continue to allow these people (Mormon corporate management) to set the agenda(s) for their respective parties this action will damage our nation.

What thinks you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 09:34AM

"It was revealed by one of Mitt's sons that he did not want to be president."

My interpretation of this has always been that it is an attempt by the Romney family to assuage its wounded ego and pride.

Mitt didn't want to be President? Baloney: he and the whole clan wanted to step into the (mythical) Romney Camelot. They were going to supplant the Kennedy myth with one greater and "truer".

Didn't happen, and now the family and some of their apologists are attempting to dismiss the whole notion of Romney Oval-Office lust.

Mitt, after all, is a modest man at heart...

<sarcasm>

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 10:17AM

Agreed. Pure sour grapes.*

*Translation for those who didn't read Aesop's Fables in school:

"The Fox and the Grapes"-- A fox sees a juicy bunch of grapes growing on a high vine and wants to eat them. He tries and tries, but cannot reach them. As he walks away, he says, "I didn't want them anyway. I'm sure the were sour."

So, "sour grapes" is when can't get something you want, and then you deny having wanted it, and say it wasn't worth having.

Posted by: alphonso ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 10:51AM

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: June 04, 2013 08:25AM

You're welcome. Many American expressions come from Aesop's Fables. Visit the children's section of your local library and check it out.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 10:56AM

This is why Mormons never drink wine...

The grapes are always sour.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 06:20PM

He didn't want it? Laughable. If he didn't want it then nobody
ever wanted anything in this world. There's no need to spend
more time on that question.

And only a moment more on why he would make these claims now:
sour grapes.

And now we're done.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 11:09AM

I knew Tagg at the MTC and at BYU, and my impression of him went from very favorable to extremely unfavorable over the course of the campaign.

His dad didn't want to be President? Mitt had been maneuvering in that direction for decades. He ran for the Senate in 1994 against Ted Kennedy. In 2002, he had the choice to run for Utah or MA governor, and he chose MA because he thought it gave him a better national stage.

In 2004, he flipped his views on gay rights to appease the GOP Right.

He had been actively running for President since 2006. That's 6 years of lobbying for a job he didn't want.

When people say things like that, it seems like an insult to my intelligence.

Posted by: I believed this all, once... ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 01:57PM

Axeldc gave a nice summary of MR's efforts to obtain the presidency. Too bad the White House is the only residence in the country that he didn't have enough money to buy for Ann - she thought she would be the next Jackie O.

I see Ann & Mitt's current PR moves as attempts to lick their wounds (like the world is clamoring for another cookbook) and trying to keep the Romney brand visible.

Posted by: Jumbo Jack ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 03:19PM

...even though Romney lost, I was hoping he would still be able to help his country. Mainly by re-introducing the AMC Pacer as an affordable Volkscar for the unwashed masses.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 07:08PM

LOL. I am just barely old enough to get that.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 11:41PM

Well we have the new Charger, the new Camero, the new Mustang, The new Javelin is long overdue. My second choice would be a new Gremlin--a cute hybrid maybe.

Posted by: amiwhiteyet ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 04:47PM

That doesn't jive with Mitt's recent statement, "It kills me not to be President". Hardly the words of someone who never wanted it in the first place... Not wanting to be President and saying something like that would be like me saying, "It kills me not to be a crack whore"...

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 05:08PM

The fun bit is that the mormons who supported the Mittster all had that "confirmation of the holy ghost" that he would indeed win.

FAIL!

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 07:53PM

That's what happens when you have the holy ghost masturbating!

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 11:45PM

They were confused.

The HG was telling them to give money to Willard and to vote for him, there was no promise of him winning.

Sometimes the Mormon god just likes to mess with them.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 05:16PM

Mitt is right were he wants to be, in his 1 percenter gated enclave. He's hosting influential Party pols and fat cats who can easily pay $5,000 for a weekend of being in a pampered bubble feeling like they're getting the inside info: Mitt's natural habitat.

I think he figured the White House experience would be just like that for him. The rest of us could go pound sand.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 07:05PM

Mitt wants to be seen with them, but the GOP big wigs don't really want to be seen with Mitt. Utah is a good place to be seen with nobody special.
Mitt is so devastated, grieving and self loathing that he needs to start therapy right away.

Him & Ann ruminating about the last 4 years is driving all of us nuts.

Posted by: fiona64 ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 05:28PM

Are you kidding me? Mitt R(m)oney thought the White Horse Prophecy had his name all over it. And now he's licking his wounds any way he can.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 05:37PM

I can believe that Bush, Sr. didn't want to run a second time. That was reported after he lost, and from what I could see on television, he didn't seem that enthusiastic during the 1992 election season.

I don't believe the idea that Romney didn't want it. The man ran for president twice. I knew he would never win, because his core base had to be religious conservatives, most of whom think he belogs to a cult. Never underestimate how much other Christian churches hate Mormonism. Furthermore, the better looking and more charismatic candidate always wins. Romney has a Mormon stick in his ass; Obama doesn't.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 08:00PM

I think that Huntsman might have a chance, because he comes off as a regular guy. His Mormon background doesn't hurt him very much at all. Whereas with Romney, his Mormonism accentuated his bad qualities. He came off as entitled and out of touch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2013 10:21PM by summer.

Posted by: weedo ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 06:50PM

Mitt will establish Utah residency and run for Hatch's seat...

Date: June 03, 2013 07:36PM

My whole point to this is that the Mormons are so scared to be marginalized out of exsistence that Mitt quite frankly is the least detestable of all the "public" Mormons.

The church has put him in be ideal spot. He has endless money (Read as a sponsor that can build a five billion dollar mall but doesn't have a single soup kitchen.) Their marketing team has him in a good spot.

Good cop bad cop. Glen Beck is the crazy one. And Mitt is the sane one. Palatable. But I really do believe what his was quoted as saying with regards to Mitt not wanting to run.

Posted by: fiona64 ( )
Date: June 04, 2013 09:07AM

Actually, I disagree that Willard was the only palatable choice. John Huntsman was the only person in the entire field of GOP candidates who did not come off as bat-crap crazy ... which is why he did not get the nomination.

If he were to be the GOP nominee next time around, this life-long Democrat would actually consider voting for him.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 09:23PM

Mitt didn't win because the American public wasn't ready for a Mormon president. It wasn't the Christian Right. They haven't got that much power over the average Joe and Jane. And it wasn't the tenets of Mormonism, most people really couldn't care less. They assume, it's Christian something, good enough.

It was the lying and then pretending that it was always that way. People could take a little of it, like Mitt's running away from his own programs, like Obamacare. That might've seemed like plain 'ole politcs. But from his 47% comments on it was unreal. By the time he debated Obama the second time, "flip-flopping" didn't even capture the magnitude of the about faces. The fact-checkers were saying ten times, "not true," and he didn't seem to care. He just went forward with the new story like the old one had never happened and facts didn't matter. Obama couldn't debate him on for example, Syria, because he, apparently, agreed with everything the Administration had done. Same with Egypt. The fact that Mitt had said exactly the opposite only a month or two before was utterly confusing to people not used to the Mormon BS machine.

We in Utah are used to this. It's par for the course. Everywhere else? No. It's still shocking to non-Utahns and non-Mormons. And it does NOT engender trust. It sets all of the "stay far away" meters pinging.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 03, 2013 09:36PM

I agree. He lost because he is out of touch, entitled, had no core values values or'm personality,was willing to change his views to please whoever he was addressing and he picked a scary running mate. Mormonism.was the least of his problems

Date: June 03, 2013 10:11PM

I don't disagree with the reason he lost. My point is he's running not out of a need to serve but because he is being ordered to.

He'll loose again. But the Mormon church will still try like hell to put a Mormon. Any Mormon. In the White House. Mitt simple reduced the ick factor towards the Mo's.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: June 04, 2013 03:31AM

Who didn't want to be Pres? Romney or the son?
I hope Mittens new calling is as head janitor in his ward. He could also be photographed as how to look like a smug Morg.

Mitt simple reduced the ick factor towards the Mo's. I totally disagree with this statement. Everyone I know think he did a lot of damage to TSCC.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: June 04, 2013 04:29AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.