Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eddie Jr ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 07:21AM

Anyone remember this piece of propaganda trash?

This was used to instill fear in me of the "latter days" when god is going to kill everyone except those who never fondle themselves.

When is this supposed to happen? What will happen to the Quakers on the moon? What circle of Hell is Joe Smith residing in?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 07:31AM

I am still learning to stand up for myself. ..

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 07:36AM

Yeah, I'm really angry about that control-by-fear bit now. During one of my year-long inactive periods, I had a dream where Jesus' Second Coming happened and I asked him where I should go, where I should stand, etc.

He looked me in the eye and said, "You're not coming with me. I'm not taking you."

Then I had a vision of my burned body on a field.

It was horrible. I woke up with tears on my face and for a brief moment in time, I knew what real hopelessness felt like. Needless to say, I headed straight back to church.

My first period of inactivity happened only a year after I'd joined the Church. I should have stayed away then, instead of putting myself through 30 years of it.

I'm sure that's how churches get some people to join as well. They think, "What if they're right and I get left behind?"

I hate religion. I really do.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:57PM

Posted by: Iwhisper ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 07:39AM

Both my husband, also an exmo,and I remember this vividly. As children we lived in fear of this. On those occasions when the moon had an orange hue, we were terrified that "the end" was near. It caused in us extreme anxiety and fear that continued into adulthood.

As I think back, I realize how cruel it is to scare children in this way.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:28PM

I was TERRIFIED of that. Turns out, there are quite a few different causes for the moon turning red.http://www.universetoday.com/19969/red-moon/

Once I knew why the moon looked red, I stopped having panic attacks.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 08:35AM

I was also taught to be frightened of stepping with my left foot first or reaching for sacrament with my left hand. Those are also old mormon superstitions.

Posted by: Lasvegasrichard ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 03:41PM

Funny thing about impressions . I never understood that the moon literally turned blood red . To me it meant a time when during the conflict of war , that men would be capable of fighting and killing each other en masse when it's dark outside . Hense the connection of the moon and blood .

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 05:05PM

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:31PM

They do have a hard time with symbolism.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:32PM

That's one of my mothers favorite scriptures. She's very hung up on end times. She scared the hell out of her kids. She's probably doing it to her grandkids now.

My kids don't know her. They were spared all that crap.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:50PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,916117

Edited 28 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 04:19AM by steve benson.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 07:01PM

I'm another one whose mother enjoyed terrifying with tales of how we will all die gruesome!

We would always wave goodbye to daddy going off to work as the sun rose, and often my mom would comment that a nuclear bomb would look just as bright. Only it would be to the north, in Seattle. And thankfully she said, we lived close enough we should be killed in the first blasts, not die lingering deaths of radiation poisoning with our skin melting off.
Or Mt. Rainier, visible near the sun, would be pointed out as a likely source of our destruction via eruption.

Sick mormon fear mongering. Why would anyone tell children things like this before they are even school aged? There's no pretending small children would be any use in a disaster that size, so "preparing them" is totally not a reasonable excuse. Just twisted mental games.
I think she's a cluster B of some sort, I really do.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 09:19PM

In the central valley of California, dust suspended in the post summer sky makes the "harvest moon" appear orange or red.

Posted by: diablo ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 01:02AM

Forest fires, volcanoes, dust storms, sand storms, eclipses, etc.

All these possibilities yet these morons would rather blame it on an imaginary tyrant who lives in the clouds.

Guilt, Fear and Shame.

The mormoon trifecta.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 01:08AM

Relax; they've substituted earrings, tattoos, and white shirts for a Moon turned to blood.

Posted by: leafonthewind ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 01:10AM

I remember when there was a wildfire near my town and the moon tuned reddish orange. My dad brought up that scripture and freaked the hell out of me.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 03:13AM

and hokus pokus, abra ca dabra, pay lay ale.... piss on MORmONISM !
there are all kinds of cryptic things that some one can say and pretend that they are really profound. and then there are examples of sayings that are not so cryptic.

human inhabitants on the moon, jesus returning soon.... to Missouri, claims of translating (PHANTOM) gold plates, a divine mandate for joe's philandering, post new testament temple worship, anti christian symbology as the apex of MORmON *christian* worship in MORmON temples,

Joe Smith pumped out a lot of crap in his wretched life time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTi8dq4KAeE

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 12:15PM by lucky.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.