Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brett ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 03:04PM

I still feel very blessed that I was able to make my escape just a year and a half after returning home.

I was fortunate to get into a college that wasn't BYU, and once I moved away, that was the last time I ever set foot in a chapel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 03:07PM

Home October 1991.

Learned the truth 2000.

Damnit. 9 years.

Formal resignation after BKKKP sneered October 2010.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 03:08PM

Around 17 years.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 03:13PM

Home: 1987
Left: 1997
10 blissful, glorious years. Um, not.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 03:23PM

I left 19 years and eight months after getting home. I'm a slow learner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2013 03:24PM by stbleaving.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 03:23PM

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 03:27PM

Apparently, I'm a slow learner...

19 yrs. 8 mos. to say, WTF just happened?
20 yrs. 2 mos. to lose 100% belief.
20 yrs. 8 mos. to 100% quit attending.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 03:33PM

Returned home late December, had some drinks on New Years eve

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:22PM

Wow. You hit the ground running. love it.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 07:01PM

Being a missionary sucked, but it sucked so badly I knew I had to run away fast so I would 't get sucked in any further

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 03:47PM

My "leaving" was a very long drawn out process that lasted about 5 years. Two of those five years I was on my mission.

I left for good about 1 1/2 - 2 years after getting home.

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 03:53PM

Only 30 years...and a lot of tithing.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 03:59PM

I was inactive within about 5 years, but in many ways, that was just because my marriage was more important that the church was... I was a "believer", still reading the BOM, etc, for about 10 -12 years after that before my head finally cleared and I realized how much time I had wasted.

Posted by: pathos ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 04:00PM

2006: got home
2008: attended church once a month to remain in good BYU standing
2010: no more contact with the church after graduation
2013: formally resigned

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 04:11PM

If I hadn't moved to Utah a few years after my mission I might still be LDS. But about 13 years after mission I was inactive and no longer believing. Working for CES accelerated the process. Six years more and I became totally disgusted and resigned officially.

Good gravy! Just realized it took 19 years to totally rid myself of the plague! I'm going to have a huge party on the day I have been non Mormon longer than Mormon. Unfortunately I have a long way to go.

Posted by: bubbleboy ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:19PM

It took me 2 years after my mission to secretly lose faith, and then another 4 1/2 years to build up the courage to leave and be public about it.

Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:28PM

About 25 years, but that was before the internet, took about 2 years after being able to read about stuff I'd only heard about, damit. I feel very fortunate that I did it all bymyself, asking the questions then following them up, I am sooo happy to be out!

Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:29PM

I lost faith 3 months in, found the courage to go home a month later, and now I'm on the 3rd month home. I don't believe, and I found out that I need to be more clear about things, because one of the priests asked for my help with the sacrament last sunday.

I promised to attend church until i go back to college in september. I'll probably resign around that time, or maybe even next sunday. Who knows.

I'm just lucky to be a NY mormon, not a UT mormon. People are far less judgmental and cliquish.

Date: June 05, 2013 06:33PM

That takes guts. Good for you. And yeah, it would be a lot different going home to Utah instead of NY. Lucky.

Date: June 05, 2013 09:01PM

I made the promise when I was still in the mission, basically just to shut up my companion. It doesn't take THAT much guts, because I'm still friendly with most of the people in the ward, and I haven't publicly announced my resignation. Soon enough, I'll find out who will treat me as a pariah because of resigning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2013 09:04PM by earlyrm.

Date: June 05, 2013 09:04PM

Much respect, earlyrm, I wish I had your courage at that point. But I still ardently believed. Keep us updated!

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:37PM

25 years. I still can't figure out what took me so long. I think I was a social mormon for the most part.

Posted by: Brian M ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:38PM

Two years and a few months from the time I got home I was sure Mormonism was not what it claimed to be and abruptly disaffected with zero notice to my friends and family.

My third semester of college blew my supernatural worldview away with cultural anthropology 101. Then I started wondering what else I might have been wrong about. I started noticing the similarities that Mormonism had with other 2nd Great Awakening organizations and one question led to another over the next semester until I was sure that disaffection was the right path for me.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:42PM

It was about five years after my mission that I was ready to leave the Church. But then I got a job working for a Mormon, and that kept me in for another five years. Finally, I started reading books like "In Sacred Loneliness," "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," and "By His Own Hand Upon Papyrus" and wild horses couldn't keep me in any longer.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:43PM

I am ashamed to say, forty years post mission to really begin my journey out and fifty years before I realized the restroom stank and why would I ever go into that building again.

Posted by: an991 ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:51PM

I got home dec 2011, I stopped beleiving Oct 2011... wait... I stopped attending in November... I literally would wander the halls and chat with another missionary, avoiding the church and everything in it

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:51PM

Semi inactive after about a year and a half, going only for social reasons for abou another year, made conscious decision to walk away about none months later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2013 06:52PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: Jonny the smoke ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:54PM

I was totally inactive before going on a mission, got active only a few months before going.

Post mission, I did about 2 years of being pretty active (was temple married, held some callings), then moved to attend BYU and was pretty much semi-active (attended sacrament now and then).

Then I read the Tanners big blue book and said "enough", I knew it was all made up and I therefore was not bound to follow it.

Dodged church, callings, and endorsments for 2 more years at BYU and graduated, and haven't been back to a mormon church except for my parents funerals.

Date: June 05, 2013 06:55PM

Just under two years. Realized the church was false, and split immediately, except for keeping up a necessary front at BYU. No Google back then, l973, had to go by my gut. MoF was the only anti mormon material I needed.

Date: June 05, 2013 09:13PM

It's amazing how much you can learn JUST from church literature. When Holland spoke to us at the MTC, he spoke about the blessings of modern technology. Well, YUP. Let's look at the blessing of RfM in particular, Jeff!

Posted by: Fred ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:55PM

Home in 2000
Truth in 2012
Resigned in 2103

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 07:06PM

TOO DAMN

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 07:34PM

Returned: 1992
Stopped Attending: 1998 (due to not being able to pray away the gay)
Found out the truth: 2007
Still haven't resigned, because I don't feel the need to; To me, resigning acknowledges that TSCC has any power over my life.
It does not.

Date: June 05, 2013 09:15PM

Not able to "pray away the gay" is correct good sir, same here. Although that was probably #90 on my top 100 list for reasons tr church was not true.

Though I find your reasoning interesting for choosing not to resign. I thought about that a lot for myself...and for me, it was my way of saying directly to them "you have no power over me" in addition to the fact I like records to reflect reality.

Date: June 05, 2013 10:05PM

In another board, somebody mentioned that you are legally a member of their church, thus you may be punished by them if they wish. You are actively destroying their LEGAL authority to count you as one of their ranks when you resign, not their claimed priesthood authority.

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 07:55PM

Three weeks to quit believing, and about six months to quit attending.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 07:56PM

Around 9 years counting the last time I went inactive. Twelve years if you count when I stopped believing.

Posted by: not logged in (usually Duffy) ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 08:43PM

Got home - Aug '84

Left - spring of '85

Less than a year! (Stupid homophobes.)

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 08:52PM

about 8 years (gone awol/inactive; not resigned yet for family reasons)

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 09:04PM

included- married in temple, EQP, bishopric counselor, 4 kids...I was fully believing until the very day, hour, and minute that it hit me.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 09:17PM

I basically lost my testimony on my mission reading anti-Mormon material, but it took me another 3 years to go inactive and another 2 years to finally resign after I broker the news to my family.

I would have left earlier had I not been so terrified of shocking and disappointing my friends and family. I just kept my doubts to myself and "tried to make it work" until I could no longer stand it.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 09:53PM

Home December 2005
Went semi-inactive throughout school. Left for good November 2012

7 years, then, for me.

Wife is now on her way out as well.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 10:05PM

But at least I stopped going and started screwing 2 years prior to losing my testimony.

Date: June 05, 2013 10:06PM

Talk about cognitive dissonance!

Posted by: noncompete ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 10:07PM

26 1/2 long years! Damn, I'm glad to be out!

Posted by: abinadiburns ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 10:12PM

10 painful years

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 03:22AM

21 years after I got home.

Posted by: jorhad ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 05:50AM

Home in 2008
Graduated BYU in 2012
Resigned in 2013

Posted by: mister ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 08:07AM

Returned in 1979. Read a lot of books. Figured out for sure that it was a fraud by 1993.

Faked it, raised family, walked away in 2007.

It can take years and years to escape a cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.