Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 03:55PM

We have all heard the story of Joseph Smith around the age of 9 having a serious leg infection & abscess as a result of having typhoid fever. The story goes that he refused to have any alcohol for the pain and told the doctors to proceed with the surgery without any pain medicine.

I continue to hear TBM's say that Joseph didn't partake of any pain medication because he refused the alcohol. On the other hand, I think it is very likely that the doctors that operated on him may have used opium or opium containing medicine to help with his pain. Opium was common and easily obtained in the early 1800's and was a major import to the United States. It was used for many conditions, including as an anti-depressant.

Joseph most likely suffered from pain in that leg on & off his whole life. I seriously think opium may have played a more important role in Joseph's life then we ever thought..

http://www.discoveriesinmedicine.com/Ni-Ra/Opium.html#b

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: whodat ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 04:07PM

My money is on ether but who knows. That lying piece of $hit probably never had leg surgery in the first place.

JS was a sex addict and serial masturbator. He had such a severe addiction to self-pleasure that he forbade it in his church and went after his friend's daughters to get off.

This is true. If you disagree you are a biot!~

Date: June 05, 2013 04:20PM

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 10:49PM

Ether wasn't used as an anesthetic until the 1840s.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 04:23PM

^Bingo^

Date: June 05, 2013 04:09PM

The Joy plant could possibly have helped Joseph "translate" the golden plates. It certainly helped Thomas de Quincey.
http://opioids.com/red.html

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 04:26PM

I guess he developed his alcohol habits later:

http://www.mormonismi.net/jamesdavid/postin13.htm

Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:33PM

Good find!

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 05:20PM

I don't see any reason to suspect such a blatant lie from Lucy's handwritten biography. She got so many other aspects of the fraud right.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:38PM

There's a possibility that a nine year old Joseph wouldn't want anything to do with "Daddy's Angry Juice."

Posted by: southern ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 11:49PM

I agree. I knew a nine year old girl who's parents were both alcoholics. She was essentially terrified of alcohol and had very little real understanding of it at that age. She just knew that it made people do awful things. I could easily see a kid that age with an alcoholic dad having a gut "No!" reaction at being offered alcohol.
An opioid seems likely.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:39PM

Let's exhume him again and see what his leg bone looks like.

yeah, i'm bored this afternoon......

Date: June 05, 2013 09:19PM

No, let's just get the RLDS church to release the photographs of his full skeleton they took in 1928.

I had wrongly assumed (I guess) the abscess (osteomyletis) was in his femur but according to a more recent article I read it was his tibia.So now I am not really sure.

And then Joseph's hair clippings..........well you know what we can measure with those....

.....Sorry, but Wednesday nights are my criminal mind and CSI nights:)

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 09:29PM

I bet he would have asked for painkiller, had the supposed "anti-Mormon mob" followed through with their plan to castrate him. Luckily he was only tarred and feathered.

Mormon folklore states unequivocally that Joseph took an 80 mg tablet of baby aspirin following the incident.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2013 09:30PM by senoritalamanita.

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 11:37PM

I have always hated that bullshit faith promoting story about joey refusing a drink before surgery on moral grounds. Every damn TBM in the country, even the big 15, gets anesthesia when they go in for surgery and super powerful pain meds in recovery. Every one of those drugs makes a shot of whiskey look like milk.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 04:49AM

We've all seen cowboy movies where the hero takes a swig of whiskey and bites on a leather strap or something while the doc digs a bullet out of him. . .but seriously, especially from the doctor's point of view, how are you going to keep a little kid - even one with exceptional self-control - from wiggling, even involuntarily, during a terribly painful surgical procedure?

Any parent can tell you, it's not easy to remove a deeply embedded splinter from a little kid's foot unless you have at least a couple of grown-ups to hold the kid still. Better to go to the ER and let them numb it, if possible.

It's too easy for the knife-wielder to make a mistake if the patient is moving - and with a little kid, it would be all but impossible to keep the kid still.

Posted by: diablo ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 04:57AM

They would tie off the limb, restricting blood flow, causing it to fall asleep.

Then they hit you with the opiates and what not so you don't go into shock.

I read this on the intertubes so it has to be true.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.