Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: diablo ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 12:14AM

With the internet dealing a hammer blow to recruitment efforts of the morg in the US, it appears their logical strategy would be to penetrate less technologically literate areas.

This could cause the future morg to resemble an antebellum plantation with the rich, white master lording over their unwhite, lesser humans.

Perhaps the morg will become the preferred faith of third world goat herders just like the original dupes in the bible.

The plan of salivation will have come full circle.

What are your predictions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 12:35AM

The morg will become more and more a fringe cult. What was once supposed to be a world religion will become a very limited (they already are) sub-culture. They will continue as a social club for a while, but will eventually sell off all their assets, go bankrupt, and become a curious remnant of history. Future generations will no longer believe in peep-stones or magical beings. Good riddance!

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 12:42AM

The church hasn't changed THAT much in the past 10 years really, and the Internet has been practically fully mainstream for a few years now.

I know this is not what everybody wants to hear, but don't see any major changes in the next 10 years either.

However, I think the church will slowly weave more apologetic teachings into its curriculum, as precautions so that the members are less shocked if they stumble across a website like this.

Also, I think the church will become more tolerant with regards to gay rights. It'll have to be eventually, to keep up its public image.

I think the biggest changes of all will probably be with their missionary work strategies. I think the Internet will become a dominant part of it. Missionaries will probably start using Facebook, Twitter, etc. to gather information about their investigators.

Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 12:55AM

The amount of internet users is no longer increasing, but the rate of internet use by each person continues to rise.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 02:35AM

I totally agree. With a smart phone you can call BS right in the middle of a lesson. You don't have to go home or even to the foyer to pop open your lap top.

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 03:14AM

LDS, Inc. will continue to be a real estate holding company. It will succeed as long as its tax-free properties are maintained for free, and as long as the properties bring in incomes, such as tithing for temple entry, money for the mall stores, a good price for beef, sugar, and oil. The religion part of things will become an exclusive club, and they will admit the importance of business, secrecy, exclusivity--much like the Masons. Women and children will continue to be micromanaged. Members will escape when they graduate high school, and feel a need for a higher education, or a good career, or an opportunity with the Government. Business and money-making potential will be more appealing to these New Mormons than missions and slave-labor wastes of time.

Posted by: diablo ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 04:13AM

Will the cult remain an "American" cult? Not sure of the real numbers (who is) but it seems the bulk of the membership could reside in foreign countries. I know their retention rates suck but since they need an ignorant populace to dredge suckers from I would posit that undeveloped countries provide a fertile source of dupes.

I just think these assholes are so evil they would actively exploit their fellow humans in any way possible.

It will be an interesting next ten years for our favorite cult.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 10:02AM

Diablo wrote
"...for our favorite cult."

"OFC"?

I like it...

RG

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.