Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: amiwhiteyet ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 05:26PM

Not that the number gives any more validity to either position, but I recently learned that it's estimated 2.3% of the world (myself included) claims to be atheist with another 11% describing themselves as non-religious. If you apply that number to the world population, that's 144,000,000 atheists worldwide. Contrasting that with the 14+ million worldwide Mormons, I find it peculiar that atheists currently outnumber Mormons by 10 to 1.
If the church is true as they assert, it seems clear Satan is certainly winning the battle for hearts and minds!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 06:07PM

If you are counting the non religious religiously get that number ,it may be high. Non religious does not necessarily equate with atheist. I am non religious and no atheist. So are many people.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 06:16PM

Please see this:
http://mormonprobe.com/world-religion-infographic.jpg

The number is specifically for atheist - secular humanists number over a billion.

(Also this is from 2004 so likely the numbers are higher, especially since there is a trend towards atheism.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 06:16PM by The Oncoming Storm - bc.

Date: June 06, 2013 07:44PM

Okay and thanks for the link,but my point was that many people who claim to be non religious and who don't identify with or attend a church are not atheists.Mixing then two groups together has happened before on RFM RFM and it is not accurate

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 07:49PM

Fair enough don't let me knock you off your soapbox ;) (Said in fun, not to be insulting.)

Date: June 06, 2013 07:56PM

LOL, NO soapbox.

Posted by: orange ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 10:48PM

That's a different thread

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 06:12PM

A lot of it is thanks to China. Huge population, huge atheist population... gives the whole world a bump.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 06:12PM

Does that make atheism the world's fastest growing religion? If so, then it must be true!!!

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 06:32PM

As a complimentary observation, there are more living former Mormons than practicing Mormons. Of course the Mormons count former Mormons as Mormons so this confuses the matter.

Mormon accountants, not beholden to the ways of man, but the ways of God. Think Noah's ark accounting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 06:43PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 06:50PM

You forgot to mention that Mormons count dead Mormons. Do Atheists count dead Atheists?

Posted by: orange ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 10:51PM

Yes.

In fact I count everyone as atheist because really deep down, they are in denial.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 08:09PM

Although it is difficult to be sure of the number, various calculations on this board have estimated the number of active Mormons world wide at about 5 million.

Munich Octoberfest - 6.4 million visitors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktoberfest

Beer must be true.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.