Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:30PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41225595/ns/us_news-life/

The WoW does contain a few nuggets of good advice--the best probably being to avoid all consumption of tobacco--but is obviously lacking on several fronts! (Maybe the "missing passages" are to be found somewhere on the damaged papyrus ... or something!?!?! ; )

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:41PM

We would watch him on TV and laugh because we thought it was so funny, all those exercises he had people do using chairs and stuff. What an inspiration, though, and what an influence for exercise and healthy living.

May he rest in peace.

TG

Date: January 24, 2011 12:10AM

I grew up in the 70's, toward the end of his big popularity--for me he WAS physical fitness, itself. I thought "jumping jacks" were named for him (or maybe for my dad, also named "Jack").

Posted by: wardbecks ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:42PM

Please bless the donuts that they might nourish us. LOL

Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 12:39AM

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 12:49AM

Chopping wood. Washing clothes by hand. Working on the farm. Walking most places in town.

But that is what continuing revelation is for.

Date: January 24, 2011 02:53AM

JOSEPH SMITH HIMSELF!

Once he had all his lackeys doing his bidding, he certainly could have used a kick-in-the-lazy-butt revelation on "physical education!" : )

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 05:43PM

the fun way to exercise lots ... Ooops. ;-D

May Mr. J.L. rest in peace. Nice guy with morals.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:21AM

One of my earliest memories was watching the old black and white Jack LaLanne show and seeing his dog walking around on the set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2QgqbIdwu4

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 03:19AM

Jack, and Gypsy Boots, and Paul Bragg, all had an influence on me. I became an athlete, and chose natural foods, because of them. And I still work out hard most days.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 04:03AM

...but the average 19th-century Americans did hard work for most of the daylight hours. That's natural--and productive--exercise. I think this artificial hopping, lungeing, running around in circles, and monotonously lifting pieces of metal up and down in the name of health is a crazy aberration of the past 30 or so years (sorry, Jack!). Why? because it is merely self-serving if not narcissistic. Better to join Habitats for Humanity.

I know some people make a self-mastery discipline of it, but it still seems like it's "cocooning."

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 09:48AM

In 19th century America the average person lived and worked on a farm. That provided plenty of physical activity and additional exercise was not needed. But today the job held by the average person involves almost no exercise.

So doctors (people who know how to keep the body healthy) recommend at least 30 minutes per day of vigorous exercise. That helps prevent many serious ailments such as obesity, hypertension (high blood pressure), diabetes, high cholesterol, heart and artery disease, etc.

When you reach senior citizen status is when you will know if you kept physically fit over your life time. If yes, you will still be healthy, active, and strong. If no, then your general health is a lot more likely to be not so good.

A quote for old age: "If I had known I would live to be this old I would have taken better care of myself."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 09:49AM by saviorself.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 06:05PM

Yes it can be seen as selfish cocooning (does this refer to the movie?).

But it can also be seen as a person doing his duty, in love, to the flesh.

Or as "sharpening the saw" (as Covey would plagiarize), so that the person can be fitter, happier, and can do better work in general.

For a yogi doing meditation dharma, life extension makes sense, as important progress in the liberation process can best be accomplished in a physical body.

Good works that benefit the world at large are not limited to only physical labors.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:11AM

Mom worked nights so she slept in late and I'd get up early (as kids do), turn on the t.v. and there he'd be, doing jumping jacks and pointing his toes in his ballet slippers. I think it was the bulge in his pants that fascinated me the most. Anyway, he'd say "Boy and girls, I want you to go wake up your mommy and tell her Jack LaLanne wants her to get up and exercise." Of course, I'd go into my mom's room and shake her awake (I mean the poor dear got home at 2:00 a.m.) and tell her to get up. She'd mumble something unintelligible, roll over and go back to sleep.

Date: January 24, 2011 05:24PM

"The bulge in his pants." I think that "fascinated" a lot of his viewers! ; )

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:11AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 06:06PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 05:30PM

Did you know that when he was 60, they tied a little rowboat to his waist, then handcuffed his hands together and he swam pulling the little rowboat from Alcatraz to the mainland?

Amazing. Jack was the man!

Ron

Date: January 24, 2011 05:38PM

(From Wikipedia)

"# 1975 (age 61): Repeating his performance of 21 years earlier, he again swam the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge, underwater and handcuffed, but this time he was shackled and towed a 1,000-pound (450 kg; 71 st) boat.

"# 1976 (age 62): To commemorate the "Spirit of '76", United States Bicentennial, he swam one mile (1.6 km) in Long Beach Harbor. He was handcuffed and shackled, and he towed 13 boats (representing the 13 original colonies) containing 76 people.[30]

"# 1979 (age 65): towed 65 boats in Lake Ashinoko, near Tokyo, Japan. He was handcuffed and shackled, and the boats were filled with 6,500 pounds (2,900 kg; 460 st) of Louisiana Pacific wood pulp.[19]

"# 1980 (age 66): towed 10 boats in North Miami, Florida. The boats carried 77 people, and he towed them for over one mile (1.6 km) in less than one hour.

"# 1984 (age 70): Handcuffed, shackled and fighting strong winds and currents, towed 70 rowboats, one with several guests, from the Queen’s Way Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary, 1 mile.[31]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_LaLanne#Timeline:_Jack_LaLanne.27s_feats

He was BEYOND amazing!

Posted by: LOL ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 06:42PM

Exercise would take the peons in church away from having their noses to the grind stone. Can't have that.

If they want to get exercise, let them clean the chapel and scrub toilets. Or landsacpe chapel and temple grounds.

The rank and file might get uppity and question our fake authority if they have too much leisure.
Keep them busy and keep us in $$$$$$$$$s

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 07:52PM

"And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint."

Sounds like execise to me :-)

Date: January 24, 2011 11:09PM

should have COMMANDED us to "run" and "walk" to achieve good health, rather than just blessing us with the ability to do so if we eat just right and avoid certain things. Now THAT would have been a remarkable insight for the 1830's! : )

Posted by: Coffeemachtspass ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 09:14PM

Knowing quite a few RMs, there should have been something in the WoW about not eating donuts.

Goodbye, Jack, I'll do some squats in the gym in your memory.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.