Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:47AM

As of yesterday, my wife is aware that I no longer pay tithing. I pay on her earnings, at her request, but she understands that I will not pay into the black hole that is the Mormon church.

Yesterday we also discussed the fact that the church is not really a church, but actually a corporation with only one member/owner. She found that interesting.

Progress - slow, but still progress.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:55AM

It is progress. Tithing is just the worst kind of scam.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 12:08PM

when I decided not to pay tithing on my half of our combined income is that I promised to donate some of the money formerly alloted to tithes to a charity. That way he still felt "God" was getting his fair share, even if it's not filtered through Mormons Inc. It's been fun choosing between World Vision, Girl Scouts, a Native American charity, the local food bank etc each month. It is also a good way to point out how to do real, tangible good in the world rather than to simply write a check to a faceless corporation with no accountability. And to show him that I research these charities that DO insist on accountability and are rated as to how well they use their money to help others. Hopefully, it's showing a contrast between how the church handles finances and service and how others do.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 12:47PM

Thanks, CA Girl. My wife knows that we donate to lots of different organizations, schools, etc. And, she realizes that the joy of giving is not limited to a single organization.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.