Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: June 15, 2013 09:56PM

How many of you men went on an 18 month mission? The time was reduced to 18 months right before I left, then changed back to 2 years after I returned. I served from August 1982 to February 1984 (Peru).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: June 15, 2013 10:23PM

They changed it back to 24 months when I had just several weeks left. We were given the choice to stay the extra 6 or go home as planned. I already had my flight information and I was going to be home for Christmas. No way in Hell I was going to stay in Hell for another six months.

Posted by: Hermes ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 09:07AM

I had just less than two months left when the change was made. My companion and I both had our travel plans when Prez called us to tell us the news and that we could stay an extra six months.

We hung up the phone looked at each other and burst out laughing. I had been dreaming about this day, we had a calendar marking off the time with red "X"s, I made my decision when I said "yes" to an 18-month mission.

When I got home, I didn't think that I was shunned too much, but now that I look back on it I know there were some who thought less of me.

My family was cool. They were happy to have me back. The ward members were a little frostier to me. I was the only one out who had "the choice" and apparently I chose wrong. One chucklehead member used to ask me how I liked my "girl mission".

Didn't matter, as I was already on my way out the door, and I was happy that I was off the radar for talks and such.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 09:49AM

koriwhoremonger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They changed it back to 24 months when I had just
> several weeks left. We were given the choice to
> stay the extra 6 or go home as planned. I already
> had my flight information and I was going to be
> home for Christmas. No way in Hell I was going to
> stay in Hell for another six months.

A friend of mine did the same thing. They gave him a choice, so he went home early.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 15, 2013 10:26PM

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: June 15, 2013 11:28PM

I did 18. I was in the field about a year in when they announced the return back to 24. I enthusiastically declined.

Date: June 16, 2013 12:11AM

GQ Cannonball Wrote: "I did 18."

You make it sound like you were in prison. Oh wait, you were!

Date: June 16, 2013 12:54AM

Yes, I was! A prison of immaturity and arrogance.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: June 15, 2013 11:30PM

Makes one wonder if or when they will announce a policy change back to age 19 for the males. I would gladly have taken 18 months, even though I was willing to serve.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 12:24AM

I was called to 24 months, but they changed it to 18 months before I entered the MTC, so I was automatically made an 18 month-er.

The best thing about my mission was that it was 18 months, not 24.

Another inspired move by CultCorp.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 01:40AM

To those of you who opted for the shorter stint when you were given the choice: were there any repercussions from friends and family, implying tht you were less valiant? I know that happened in some instances.

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 12:01PM

There were six of us that were in the MTC together and we would have all gone home together. Three of the six opted to stay. I felt guilty for about ten minutes but the Joy of making my escape over powered it.

After I got home I don't think it was ever mentioned.

Date: June 16, 2013 12:11PM

My Dad brought it up once (he was disappointed in me). No one else ever mentioned it.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 02:25AM

I had the option, in the army, of being active four months or two years. Guess which I chose? It was in 1971 and we were winding down in Vietnam but the two year option would probably meant going there.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 07:14AM

The last 6 months of my mission were the worst. My sisters from the MTC left right before Xmas and I was so jealous. If I had left then, I would have been a lot happier about my experience.

The last 6 months were nothing but disappointments and problems. I really grew to dislike our mission President. The last area I was in had so many problems and I was there 4 months. It really left a bad taste in my mouth. From January until I went home in July I was only looking forward to one thing: getting the hell out of the mission.

Now if only I had been smart enough to transfer to UTexas instead of going back to BYU.

Posted by: not logged in (usually Duffy) ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 07:25AM

Being female, of course I served an 18 month mission. But I have always thought I was very lucky to serve during the time that the elders also served for 18 months. It put us on a slightly more equal playing field. I would've really been irritated if elders who had to serve 6 months longer tried to lord it over me that they were more dedicated than we were.

Posted by: builder ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 09:40AM

Me Me Me '82-'83

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 09:57AM

Does anyone remember the time frame these missions were announced. I turned eighteen in 1983 and was under alot of pressure to go "while the missions were still just eighteen months". I joined the Navy instead.

Date: June 16, 2013 11:22AM

If my memory is correct, the reduction to 18 months was announced at the April 1982 GC and the increase back to 24 months was announced at the April 1984 GC.

Posted by: Hermes ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 11:27AM

The policy shifted back to 24 months in December 1984.

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 10:50AM

Was into my Mission (Indiana) a few months when told it was going to be cut short 6 Months with the new policy. Then I was asked to extend an extra month as a Z.L. Just went with the flow.

Posted by: Scully ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 11:07AM

I'm a girl. Served in mid 90's.
I remember working my guts out and being burned out. There was NO way I could have kept it up another 6 months and stayed out 24 months like the guys. I developed a lot of empathy then towards the elders who were sentenced to 2 whole years instead of 1.5.

Posted by: regularguy ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 12:40PM

Left in May of 82 and was very happy to have only 18 months AND not having a choice in the matter.

Back then, my level of "faith" would have kept me out for 3 years if asked, even though I hated tracking with a passion.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 01:30PM

I was called to the 18 month mission. We could only serve for 18 months because that is what we were called to by the lord.

We did not have a choice to stay longer..

Guatemala city mission

Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 08:03PM

I absolutely LOATHED my mission. I was pissed before I even put my papers in because I served 86-88 and they had changed back to 24 months the year before.

I finished in the mission home and had lost any desire long before I got there. We still had to tract and what not but I had breaks when I had to do the assigned mission home duties.

We all had the option to go home on time, leave a month early, or stay an extra month. I left early and would have left even earlier had I had the option.

Loved Korea but absolutely hated the mission.

Posted by: Spud ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 02:46PM

Very similar experience. I left in Aug '99 and was asked if I would like to leave in July or September '01- I wouldn't have stayed for September if they would have given me every dollar my parents payed for the mission back. Holy crap being a missionary sucked.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 01:04AM

I got very sick and come home early at just about 18 months. When I got home my stake president told me I was going to hell because I did not have enough faith to serve a full mission. A little while later missions were cut to 18 months.... boy did I have mixed feelings about the Church.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 01:07AM

I was out about six months when they changed it, and I was automatically changed to 18 months and not given the option of keeping it at 2 years. In retrospect lucky me, but I kind of felt less "valiant" at the time.

Posted by: yolinda ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 01:09AM

18 months. It was like being on a leash Oct 1982 - Apr-1984. I didn't not have a choice in the matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2013 01:09AM by yolinda.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 02:51PM

I served my mission a few years later, but I was accidentally sent home a month early. Then I took another month off in addition to that so I could get into fall semester at BYU. So, I only served a 22 month mission. :)

I don't know why my I got my walking papers a month early, but I didn't say a word.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 02:51PM

Like you, just before I sent my papers in, it was changed to 18 months. And you exmo's don't believe in miracles. Ha. That was a miracle.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 03:55PM

What was the reasoning behind the 18 months in the first place?

Posted by: Ten Bear ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 04:13PM

Went out in November '82 and came back May '84. It was a foreign mission so I spent two months in the MTC which means I was really out in the field for only 16 months.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.