Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BananaPancakes ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:37PM

Other than nevermo's who are around Mormons due to marriage or living situations,do nevermo's really give a damn about what the Mormons are doing?

When I mention some terrible things the Mormon church does or belives in, my nevermo friends kind of just shrug it off or don't seem affected by it. I guess on the personal side of things they AREN'T affected becuase they have never had to experience Mormonism first hand, but I would at least think the financial shadyness and Prop H8 would have gotten them to think about the damage that Mormonism does to people/society.

Do your nevermo aithest, agnostic, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, Wiccian, etc. friends seem to care about the LD$ church and its activities?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:42PM

Most of my nevermo friends had shrugged it off. And TSCC has done an amazing job at being a gigantic political guerilla. When my friends find out exactly how much they are involved in politics, then they care.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:56PM

How much do you really care about the doings of other small wanabe christian groups with less than 3% of the US religious market share?

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:56PM

I would agree with RaptorJesus. Most non-Mormons know very little about the inner workings of LDS universe. I didn't know much even though I'm from the SW USA, had Mormon friends in school, dated Mormon guys, etc. You know about the dietary laws and the holy magic Mormon underwear, something about Jesus appearing before the Aztecs and that's about it. Just another religious denomination like Jews, JW's, Catholics, and you don't think more about it than that. I think they have overplayed their hand with the Prop 8 campaign though. Once people find out that secrets are being kept they want to find out just what the secrets are.

BTW, the whole Raptor Jesus meme is hilarious :p

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:59PM

Yeah, I care. My church doesn't own income generating property. What assets it does have are all about serving the poor and the surrounding community. It is not incorporated.

And never once has a politician been allowed to speak from the pulpit, nor has one been endorsed, although issues matter. Never have we been told to vote for someone.

Corporations should pay taxes. Period. Especially when they dictate to their rank and file how they should vote.

Posted by: OSU ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 02:16PM

I am a nevermo and I was curious about a lot of relgieons so I studied a lot of them, not just Mormonism. Mormonism just seemed so weird I was in awe studying it.

When I was 16 a Mormon boy really liked me. (I shouldn't have asked him to Prom...led him on...oops!) I had NO idea what it was about. I just herd things. I asked him "um so like what is it with these golden plates? And special underwear? and what is this seminary thing you go to every school day during 1st period?" He kinda would half-answer my questions or DENY IT!!! He was embarressed to be talking about the details. Milk before Meat anyone?!

So yes, I care about the LDS and its wrongdoings.

Oh and the boy who liked me in high school, 3 yrs later wrote a letter to me on his mission and asked if I was married.

fast forward one year and he FB messaged me with the same question. *DELETE*

WOW.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 02:22PM

Then again, most of those people don't care about the atrocities committed by Jehovah's Witnesses or Church of Christ Scientist or Scientology either. I think few people are really interested in the general good of other people unless they are connected with them in some way.

Posted by: Only when ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 02:23PM

my siblings and I heard that two nice young men were coming round and spending a lot of time with my parents.

Now those mishies think jolly good prospects were anti'd. Our version of the story is that we spent some times illustrating to my parents some of the things mormons believe and do. My parents were genuinely startled by some of the stuff the mishies probably forgot to mention.

To hell with them.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:19PM

Nice. I love to hear stories like this. And who gives a damn what the mishies think? You saved the parents loads of grief.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 02:27PM

I am a never-mo. And I care ... a lot.

TBMs affect everything around me, from the quality (or lack thereof) of local poetry slams, to opportunities for women, to equal rights for gays.

TBMs negatively affect business ethics, political ethics, and worst of all, the potential for creativity inherent in the human brain.

The few good aspects that can be listed in the "Positive" column do not come anywhere near balancing out the harm they do.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 02:32PM

very territorial and other churches get upset when they loose their power.

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 04:26PM

Mostly no. I agree with luckychucky... why would anyone care about what a very very small group of people are up to?

Then I moved to Utah and the insidiousness, poor behavior like defensiveness, passive aggressiveness, treatment of the elderly, not to mention lack of ethical behavior, blurring church and state lines, prop8, hypocritical yet judgmental behavior etc has turned me from having a "live and let live" attitude to being really wary of the entire organization and it's supporters.

For friends and family--all nevermo and not in utah or the jello belt... they could care less what a small group of weirdos do.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 04:32PM

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 04:35PM

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 04:46PM

All long time adult volunteers in scouting have a problem with TSSC to some degree.

Telling me the composition of my troop.

Branding me a hate group.

Precipitous lose of funding that affects inner city scouting.

Crappy scouting program and leaders

false advancement and paper Eagles diluting the pool.

The fact that they segregate themselves from the rest of the scouts.

the segregation of scouts by age, therefore eliminating the basic premise of scouting of teaching leadership.

The arrogance and lack of scoutcraft of marment leaders,

yes, the list goes on and on.

75% of scout fatalities occur in marment troops. Because marment leaders are not required to take the basic training the rest of us are. I guess we realize magic underwear isn't going to save us from stupidity.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 04:55PM

Unless you live in their theocracy in UT (as I do) or have relatives that have been assimilated by the Morg (as I have) then the only people that give Mormons a second thought are those that they offend.

Gays as in Prop8, and Jews in dead-dunking would probably be the largest groups that don't fit the above two categories that even think about the Morg or care who they are.

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 05:10PM

We were told everyone was watching, but no one is. No one cares.

Posted by: Nevermo in KY ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 05:14PM

I'm fascinated by the LDS church. I try to discuss some of the best, juiciest (craziest) details with my friends, but none of them know anything about the Church and I end up spending more time explaining the back story than the actual anecdote I was trying to share.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 06:39PM

Before I was Mormon I knew absolutely nothing about them and I didn't care.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 07:18PM

I hate it that my big sister is throwing 10% of her retirement into the trough. I just hope that she decides that the cost of admision to the temple is too high. My younger brother? He just doesn't know any better.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 07:44PM

I care because I live in Utah. Enough said. :)

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 08:45PM

Nevermos simply don't know much or care much about the group called Mormons. I know it is hard for Mormons to believe but living back east for such a long time I KNOW most have never run into one....saw them on a bike maybe and even given them an old bike....my mom did.

People like their own religion -especially back east-and don't have time to listen to missionaries trying to change their faith. They begin to care only when a family member marries one, or they hear about dead dunking or Prop 8 is a factor for them, or they learn that Mormons keep people from attending weddings. Stuff like that would make them listen up. That's about it though.

Posted by: Badger john ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 10:29PM

I'm a nevermo. For various reasons, living in northern CA, I rub elbows with mormons quite frequently. I talk to those that want to talk about mormonism, and to the extent they permit it I try to get them to think about what they believe and why they believe it, AND whether any of it is true. I am a believing Christian, so I have a message to convey for those willing to listen to it.

One of my mormon friends referred me to this site after deciding she was not interested in discussing religious matters after all. A little too close for comfort for her.

At this point the whole mormon thing is far worse than I ever could have imagined. The real damage it does to real people just trying to do their best in life. It is just such a tremendous waste to live life as a mormon. Terribly obvious that God's grace becomes a bunch of stupid, demanding meaningless rules. If their is a GOD, and I believe there is, is that why he created life? To constantly yank our chains? To make us little robots? No, that is not it.

Date: January 24, 2011 11:13PM

Date: January 24, 2011 11:12PM

When I was a Nevermo the only thing I ever thought about Mormons was how kooky they were to fall for a golden bible story. I mean it was an obvious case of fraud. Beyond that I never thought about Mormons or cared about what they did or who they were. Just a fringe group heading historically in the wrong direction.

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:40PM

I like to read this board because I learn new things about these deluded but otherwise nice people.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 12:18AM

I have often thought the same thing...does God want to constantly yank your chains, belittle you, make you a robot? Well said. And of course God does not wish this at all. But Mormons think the answer is yes.....we must obey, we must conform, we must not use our brain. Mormons grow up to be nothing but a band of followers- and not of Jesus.

Posted by: Hane ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 12:27AM

Like Rose Park Ranger, "I like to read this board because I learn new things about these deluded but otherwise nice people." The more I read about the history and belief structure of LDS, the more my mouth hangs open.

Here in Connecticut, I have met exactly one Mormon family. The husband ran for local government, and, in an interview, went on and on about the missionary work he and his father had done in the Mormon church. Needless to say, he lost. In a whitebread Connecticut suburb, we tend not to go for politicians who go trotting out their religious credentials--particularly those that aren't particularly mainstream.

As a longtime Catholic, I find it hysterical that some Mormons believe that the Pope "really KNOWS that the Mormon Church is true." I'd bet you this week's paycheck that Mormonism doesn't even register on the radar of any Catholic higher-up outside Utah.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 12:33AM

One of my colleagues is Mormon (he told us), and was leaving early to go to an activity. It sounded like fun, and one of the girls sounded interested. He invited her. He was rather smooth, I have to admit.

But when she asked him how he heard about the event, he said that his church had rented the venue. She quickly backpedaled.

"Oh, I just remembered I have to do something."

So when he left, she started telling the rest of us how she knows he's a Mormon and she finds it creepy how they try to recruit people with activities like this.

She did not use the word "lovebombing" but she described it perfectly. I think she fell for it once before, and learned her lesson.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 01:05AM

and have never met or seen a Mormon the whole time I've been back. Not a missionary, not a member. Nobody talks about them, the paper is devoid of a Mormon word.

It's Monterrey, then the East Bay. Yeah, it's paradise. When I tell people I was Mormon for quite a while, they react as if I had said I used to work as a contortionist in the circus and can still kiss my own ass.

Like...why?

Anagrammy

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 01:26AM

I don't know about Monterey and the Central Coast, but I'm quite surprised you haven't run into any Mormons in the East Bay. They are certainly far outnumbered by Catholics and other mainstream faiths, but there are actually quite a few Mormons...at least three LDS churches (is that the right term?) within a 10-to-15-minute drive from my East Bay neighborhood. And isn't there that huge temple in Oakland?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.