Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: moira ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 08:23PM

Is it true that in an illustration on page 40 regarding the "martyrdom" of Joseph and Hyrum in the Carthage Jail, that there is a pistol shown protruding out of Joseph's pocket? I could only find the text of the article on the church website and it doesn't say anything about Joseph shooting in self defense.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 08:33PM

Here is the link to the digital June 2013 issue. Just click the download button for "two witnesses, three days and the aftermath of the martyrdom.

http://www.lds.org/ensign/2013/06?lang=eng

While the picture does show JS with his pepperbox pistol in his pocket, they fail to mention the wine drinking or the masonic distress call.

And all sources are linked to a book called "Nauvoo: A place of peace, a people of promise" by Glen M. Leonard. (Deseret book)

Posted by: Gelaendewagen ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 10:59PM

I remember writing in college a great term paper on the French Revolution, but I used only my textbook as a source. I got a D. She had some pity for me for writing a good paper, but that's the only reason she didn't outright flunk it.

Do BYU professors allow you to cite only one source for term papers nowadays?

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 10:48AM

I have a history BA from BYU and was a TA for World History there. I graduated in the 1990s, and there was no way a prof would accept one source for a term paper.

I still have nightmares about being surrounded by a pile of books for a history term paper that I have to read and write about for the next day. I averaged 100 pages of reading for every page of paper that I wrote.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 05:28PM

My sister was a teacher at BYU for some time. I watched her grade term papers once. She didn't read them. She scanned through the footnotes on each sheet, read the bibliography, and graded the papers based on information alone. To her, it was the amount of research that was important, not necessarily the content.

Posted by: mindog ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 08:40AM

Also the issue features an article "Dear are the sheep that have wandered"....

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 12:25PM

So the church cites only one source, which is also something published by the church? Seems legit.

Posted by: nailamindi ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 09:00PM

Wow! I totally missed that. It should be noted that the entire incident is described pretty much blow by blow, with a detailed note that "willard richards used a long walking stick as a weapon to stop the mob..." but no mention of the pistol. Stuff like this can make you wonder if you're totally crazy, but then there it is in the painting, Joe's pistol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2013 09:01PM by nailamindi.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 09:02PM

God, these people are weasels.

Posted by: anon for this comment ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 09:04PM

Anyone know when that painting was done?

Let the inoculations begin! Those slimy sobs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2013 09:05PM by anon for this comment.

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 10:12PM

The date on the side of the picture says 1986. This is the first information I found that got me to looking into what else I did not know. The obvious gun in the pocket was not so obvious during the time I had church history lessons, in fact no gun was ever mentioned. Inoculate a little at a time and they can claim they never hid any information, see there is the gun you say we hid, right there in plain sight. They are truly scum.

Posted by: mandy ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 05:05PM

Exactly.......

Posted by: mindog ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 06:49PM

The image at the top of the article was done in 2011, when it showed at the Springville Museum Of Art Religious and Spirituality Show. Casey would have been way way too young to have done it then...I know the artist on a professional basis. While there are some drawing errors among some other issues with the picture as a picture, he went all out for this, even built a small set in his studio to enhance the veracity.

Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 09:27PM

It's true, John Taylor says that Joe shot 2 men dead in that incident.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 09:28PM

Like an armed lamb to the slaughter.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 12:31AM

the article still fails to mention the discharge of the firearm, (which is from John Taylors account if I remember right.) the very account they are quoting from.

in that account when they are press up against the door is when JS fires the shots into the hallway.

This history has been known to me since I went on my mission, thanks to an MTC teacher that felt we should know about it.

It alone wasn't a deal breaker, but it is only a smidgin of the whole misleading that has been going on.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 08:18AM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 08:23AM

Isn't it ironic that most of the beliefs and practices that got Joseph martyred have subsequently been revoked by the Church.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 11:29AM

I like asking mormons what the circumstances were about Smith's incarceration and death. Most respond that evil people did it. Lamb to the slaughter stuff. They have no idea.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 09:15AM

Every faithful member has seen the various versions of the "approved" movies, and they never show the the pistol(s).

Plus they they have the Heartsell(r) music that lets you know it's true...

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 09:37AM

Heartsell.

The day I learned they patented the jerking of emotions to manipulate human beings is the day I realized just how deeply evil the LDS church is. The upper echelons know exactly what they are doing to fleece the flock. They and their families enjoy a level of prosperity that is almost unknown to the rest of us thanks to the emotional rape of the widow to get her last mite.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 09:50AM

Add "martyred" to the list of words mormonism defines quite differently than the rest of the English-speaking world...along with missionary, calling, and (temple) worship.

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 01:01PM

overheard the night before by helen mar kimball

"say joe, is that a pistol in yer pocket, or are you just glad to see me"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2013 01:02PM by wowbagger.

Posted by: antimarkite ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 02:14PM

TBM's ought to know about this if they are paying attention in GD class (a small percentage to be sure). I recall teaching a GD lesson some ten years ago that contained the account of Willard Richards. Just a second I'm going to find it...

"...Joseph looked towards him (Hyrum) and responded 'Oh, dear brother Hyrum!' and opening the door two or three inches with his left hand, discharged one barrel of a six shooter (pistol) at random in the entry."

"...Joseph continued smapping his revolver round the casing of the door into the space as before..."

"...When the revolver failed, we had no more firearms, and expected an immediate rush of the mob, and the doorway full of muskets, half way in the room, and no hope but instant death from within."

It's right there in the manual and has been for years, though they conspicuously avoid any mention that a couple of those shots were deadly. In fact I'm fairly certain that in the church history museum they have on display either the very same 'pepperbox' pistol in question or one akin to it. I recall seeing it when my family visited temple square when I was in high school. I seem to remember that a great deal of emphasis is placed on how ineffectual and unreliable the weapon is in order to downplay any murderous intentions and highlight the futility of any defensive attempts.

Maybe it is a sign that I had let myself be innoculated to it, but I have never felt like this is a very damaging issue. Any TBM burdened with the fit and proper amount of adoration for Mr. Smith can easily dismiss it as a human reaction to a desparate situation. Heck, for a tme there, I think it even sucked me in further as one of those things that connects you to the prophet as a fellow human. This is one of those issues that acts as an 'of course' moment only after you have figured it all out.

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 06:00PM

the problem is that firing the pistol is the act of a human being. We defend ourselves when attacked. There is nothing wrong with it except that they don't want to portray Smith as being a human being. Gods like Jesus go quietly to their death because of their conviction. You cant sing praise to the man with a straight face if you think he was really JUST a man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2013 06:00PM by jesuswantsme4asucker.

Posted by: amiwhiteyet ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 04:56PM

This perfectly demonstrates the church's new tactic of revealing just enough in order to claim they're not withholding anything. When someone claims the church never talks about Joseph Smith dying in a gunfight, they can now show this picture and say, "Yes we do! See! It's even in the history of the church"...
I wonder when they're going to finally show a picture of Joseph Smith with his head buried in a hat. My guess is, it will be something similar to this where it gives the impression of full disclosure but only discloses as little as they can get away with.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 05:50PM

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 05:41PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.