Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tilliegilman ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 02:25AM

I know if you're still on the church rolls the church has the right to use and distribute your info as they see fit. As I understand it, my info is currently accessible online and maybe on paper to ward members. I don't know but I assume that info like my birthday, past addresses, parents' names and so on are available to the bishopric and other higher ups. If I resign, I know HQ will store my info forever. But will it at least prevent ward members from having access to my personal data? Does anyone else find the amount of info on us that has been available to other members a bit unsettling? Or am I way off base, and my personal info is actually quite secure with the Mormon church already?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 02:34AM

I would assume that the wards would no longer have access to your records, but who knows if a Bishop called HQ and specifically asked for your record, maybe he could still get it if he asked.

I doubt a regular member could get it though.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 05:08PM

Your records will no longer be associated with a particular ward or stake--supposedly, your data will just be stored in in SLC until the Second Coming or whatever.

However, when I was still a TBM I regularly got calls from Member Locator Services about my siblings who had resigned and then moved, so it's possible that, if you have TBM family members, they may get called and grilled about your whereabouts occasionally. (I got these calls maybe a dozen times per year about my various exmo siblings.)

Posted by: orange ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 05:24PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2013 05:25PM by orange.

Posted by: DonQuijote ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 05:48PM

Once they processed our resignation I noticed that me and my family were removed from the online registry that members have access to. But the ward members still have copies of the old registry if they ever wanted my info.

Posted by: burnned ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 06:08PM

Heck no, and look at all the very personal info on church records, if one creative con-man gets a hold of your SSN plus church records , your identity could be stolen or used to assess what of yours SHOULD be private, like email. The church has TOO much personal info.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 06:33PM

I think it depends on where you resigned and how. I resigned via e-mail and no one has bothered me since (except my own TBM family) so I'm thinking I must be completely off their radar now because it was over a year and a half ago. They have traced my address for years and sent missionaries, VT's and RS to my home previously. Nothing since I resigned though.

Posted by: LEELA ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 08:07PM

This IS VERY DISTURBING TO ME!!! I didnt know they could use it as they see FIT!! When i was a kid i worked at a bank & realized very quickly how important personal info. was!! Then I saw my family dutifully filling out and turning in their 4 generations! My first thought was what if it gets abused? I knew I couldnt say anything. That would mean DOUBT!! Cant DO THAT!! Ive Been trying to get my name removed for yrs!! NOW IM REALLY WORRIED!!!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 11:12PM

I really don't give a shit what they do with mine...and mind you, mine are relics because I did nothing in the church after I was ordained an elder in 1970...I also have no fear of any Mormon or what they perceive they could do to me. I might have to find another doctor or dentist....but that would be about it...
Ron Burr

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 12:13AM

In my case, the name they probably have is one that never existed legally, since I never bothered to go through the paperwork of taking on my ex-husband's last name after we got married. As far as I know, TSCC is the only place that changed it once the ward knew we were married. Besides, my divorce was final for over 10 years now, so they have a fictitious person on their rolls.

I resigned shortly before the divorce was final, and TSCC has managed to leave me alone, even though the missionaries do live in an apartment a block away from me. The name I used to resign was the only name I've legally had, which is the one I was born with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2013 12:13AM by adoylelb.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.