Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 07:19PM

is a 'revelation' to TSM that homosexual persons will receive equal treatment in the LDS church, including temple marriage, and access to adopt children through LDS adoption services...

And after Mitt and other TBMs stop honking their car horns in concocted celebration...

How would this be accepted by the hardcore TBMs? Would it be swallowed by BKP type hardcores because it was a 'revelation' from a sustained prophet?

Or would there be a genuine backlash?

Even though LDS Inc is remarkably behind the times, equality is an unstoppable freight train.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2013 07:28PM by deco.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: foolmoon ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 07:34PM

Hah! I've been telling DH and some close friends to expect that announcement for anytime within the next 10 years.

There will be no backlash. Hardcore TBMs will accept anything from the FP.

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 07:36PM

I think TBMs would follow the revelation. Those that view homosexuals very negatively would still hold those views but be quieter about it. Eventually they would act like acceptance was no big deal.

That would actually be cool.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 07:56PM

Exactly what I saw in their attitudes about blacks after the 1978 memo came out.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 08:31PM

...I am waiting for SCOTUS' decision(s) coming soon on Prop 8, and DOMA. This is what I think is the deal breaker. Power Player attorney Jonathan Turley is waiting in the wings, as his case with the Browns/polygamy could have BIG merit if their (SC) decision is favorable to the plaintiffs.
...if that happens, wait and see. All the Fundamentalist splinter groups/sects will be screaming to high heaven, "See,the Salt Lake Church was wrong all along!!"

....more viewing fun for the kiddies!!!

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 07:51PM

It would be a good step.

But it will be something like polygamy and blacks obtaining the priesthood and temple privileges that raises an important question for Mormons. Why should people be obedient to the prophets if they just go changing their mind in a few years?

People really had their arms twisted to donate to the pro-proposition 8 campaign. What would that sacrifice amount to in the end?

Just as much as the person who went to jail for polygamy--only to have the church renounce it.

Standing for Something?

My core problem with the LDS church is not the fact that it is and has been racist, sexist, anti-gay, and its promotion of other equally absurd agendas. These are just symptoms of the "follow the prophet" mentality that assumes the leaders are "inspired" and "know best"--absolving the membership from any moral responsibility to decide what is right themselves.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 08:00PM

Another etch-a-sketch moment. Like the other poster mentioned, I remember the racist comments and jokes (some over the local pulpit) after the 1978 change.

LDS throughout its existence has survived to the changing of history, and the 'aw shucks' I don't know that we teach that.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 08:00PM

If LDS INC. were to place gays on equal footing as all others, then why stop there?

Why not announce gambling is O.K. and that you are now expected to pay 10% tithe on all "ill-gotten-gains?"

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 08:05PM

Maybe they will allow big weddings in the chapel and a sealing can happen anytime after that, but it will probably be money related whatever it is.

Posted by: LEELA ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 08:16PM

The words may change but the melodies the same...hate-judge-hate judge...They made polygamy passe (but still practsed it). They said blacks were accepted but still have a caste system. They take blood othes out of the temple but people r still scared & secretive,(oh ya sacretive")

Posted by: Oncewasblind ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 08:47PM

Big announcement my ass!!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.