Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 12:56PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/apr/28/facebook-loses-users-biggest-markets

"In the last month, the world's largest social network has lost 6m US visitors, a 4% fall, according to analysis firm SocialBakers. In the UK, 1.4m fewer users checked in last month, a fall of 4.5%. The declines are sustained. In the last six months, Facebook has lost nearly 9m monthly visitors in the US and 2m in the UK."

From what my nieces and nephews tell me, they don't like their parents tracking them on Facebook so they are finding other sites to connect with their friends, like tumbler.

When your grandpa has a facebook account and even your church is encouraging facebook, I think facebook becomes very uncool to use. It becomes another chore. Facebook may be the next myspace.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 01:00PM

Not to mention all the bad press about facebook giving whatever info the NSA wants. I know if you've got nothing to hide blah blah, but screw them for caving and keeping it secret.

Posted by: ramonglyde ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 03:56PM

Whenever I hear that "nothing to hide mantra" I want to ask, (starting with all information generated by the idiot using the mantra) so - let me have every phone conversation of every politician and business man employing over 10 people for the past 10 years and from hence into the future. They don't have anything to hide do they?
Talk about inside information - no wonder these dolts are all rich.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 06:31PM

It's an extremely similar strategy to shaming/blaming victims.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 09:12PM

Agents of a foreign government wrote the software and set up the systems for the NSA. A foreign intelligence agency has all this data about powerful people's kinks, quirks, investments and corporate R&D.

The scope for industrial espionage and blackmail of elected representatives is off the charts.

This info is also now for sale to the highest bidders among other, not friendly nations by the industrial/political spies hired by the NSA.

It's got nothing to do with "I have nothing to hide". When people say this type of thing, they are just proclaiming that they are naive and uninformed.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 01:01PM

Poor facebook - the lds church getting aggressive on facebook and aggravating people is just going to make more people leave...

Posted by: al-iced ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 11:12PM

How is the LDS church getting "aggressive" on facebook? Are they promoting missionary work via facebook?

I've already filtered my family and friends due to their abrasive, offensive politics. How do they expect to reach me with their Mormon propaganda?

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 03:43AM

Then the members' kids will be encouraged to have their NoMo friends friended and taught by the mishies. This will be awkward, because kids, Mo or NoMo, want to stay in the group. Tit could all be done without the NoMo parents' knowledge.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 01:03PM

Inspiration usually works best if you don't wait a few years to clear it through marketing.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 09:06AM

It's the same inspiration level that erected an overblown mall the same year that two big mall companies went bankrupt.

Always a day late and a dollar short.

Never ahead, always sampling and focus groups because not only are they not "inspired," they literally have to feel for what's going on despite all the traveling.

Probably it's because they do all the talking and don't listen when they visit a stake or branch.

Thank goodness they asked members to not send them letters any more. Cut off that possible conduit of information and have a warm, personable, loving PR department conduct focus groups instead. You know, like Jesus would do.

Anagrammy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2013 09:09AM by anagrammy.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 01:04PM

You have a good point there.

Besides, young people looking for more "private" sites, you have adults concerned over security concerns, who are taking a second thought about displaying their "stuff" on Facebook for the entire world to see.

People are so dumb, especially when they post birthday, including month, day AND year. I had to warn several friends and relatives from doing this. I could barely believe it ...

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 11:06PM

Or, replying to the "Find out your [fill in the blank] name" which is based on your birth month and day of month. There are lots of places that knowing someone's location and name, you can find their age. They just gave their exact birth date, by replying that their Viking name is Thor (born in October) Hammersmith (born on the 10th), when someone looks up their age.

Or, the people who announce they are going on vacation and will be gone for two weeks. Some people just don't think.

Posted by: anon for this comment ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 11:15PM

The church has always been a day late and a dollar short. They miss the mark over and over.

That's what happens when all the leaders need naps everyday.

Posted by: diablo ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 10:42AM

Not entirely.

How much is a Kirtland Anti-Bank Note worth now? I haven't bothered to check but it has got to be worth more now then when it was first issued.

That's all I got.

Posted by: flybynight not logged in ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 11:15PM

Facebook WILL be the next MySpace. Sure, it's fun and addicting, but now that anyone can use it, it's just become the new favorite internet marketing tool. Then there are stalkers, friends of friends of friends of friends, crazy relatives...and, yikes, Mormons trying to convert everyone. Few of my students or others I know still like FB, and I'm sure the numbers will continue to drop.

People can only handle so much marketing.

Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 11:29PM

I think it's all the fake Indian accounts posing as hot college girls saying they went to school with you, or just straight up copying your identity. I'm astounded at how many fake profiles I see.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 11:32PM

When Facebook first came out and you had to have a college e-mail address to have it, it was awesome. Then they just sort of opened the flood gates and let everyone in, and all of the sudden Facebook was like watching a TV channel with a lot of commercials. Sure, I still really enjoy getting on to stay connected with friends, look at pictures of random strangers, and play games, but soon another social network is going to come along and it'll be more like Facebook was when it was new. Google+ was supposed to be like that, but it fell flat. You know once churches are calling "facebook missionaries," it's time to find a new network.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 07:45AM

I don't think the timing is coincidental!

"F*** the Mormon's are coming, let's just text each other..."

Posted by: Erick ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 08:46AM

Marketing idiots of all stripes have been drooling over Facebook for the last several years. Facebook is marketing mirage, ie, it looks like an opportunity, but it really isn't a place for direct marketing. What the suits should begin exploring is that social networking completely changes the game. If you want people to start talking about your products, you don't do it by inserting adds into Facebook, you do it by making quality products that people have reason to talk about. In other words, because people are so well connected, it's likely becoming time where the marketing budget can largely be redirected towards product development. If the product is good enough, people will talk.

As for marketing religion...I don't know how Mormonism fixes it's product? That's the problem with selling the "one true Church led by God". If it isn't perfect the first time, it will always be seen as generic.

Posted by: ramonglyde ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 04:12PM

You nailed it. Even giving products away to people with a large "real" group of friends may well be the best marketing of the future.

Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 10:22PM

Funny that Google thought Facebook was a threat to them when businesses start signing up, so they created Google+ and are now forcing people to use it for some of their other products.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 09:17AM

Facebook will seem like AOL in a few years

Posted by: Home Skooled ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 10:36AM

I had to chuckle when the church declared in its 'historic' announcement that they would be using Facebook for missionary work.

It seems like it would have been historic if they announced it 10 years ago in 2003! Only a decade behind the times...

Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 05:37PM

Haha. I chuckled too. Coincidentally, I closed my fb account last month because I was tired of the brag fest, Mormon quotes, mlm stories, etc.
Like someone mentioned here, there are indeed too many commercials for this stupid show.

Posted by: Chloe ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 10:53AM

Most of the people in our family have closed down Facebook by now because we do not like our privacy invaded.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 04:23PM

My Facebook is still going up in requests, not down. I know people who do not use it much, but they still have it. They have not closed their account. I know of only a couple of people who closed their FB and it was for specific reasons.

Posted by: Hasteningthework ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 08:21PM

I'd be pissed if I was Facebook, 70,000 mishies posting an average of 100 post,s a day over two years =$5.2 billion post's'
The tscc as a group will be the largest spammer on earth and this doesn't count all the Huber tbms posting as well.
I just don't think they have thought this through. Old men running scared and crying wolfe,.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 12:27AM

If it becomes an issue, FB will just start charging TSCC, at which point they will either pull back the program or pay. Either way it will be quietly so no one notices.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.