Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 03:42PM

http://nevinpratt.com/groups/workgroup/wiki/a3125/images/7b9f1.jpg#874x654

My removed observations are that the stake and ward/chapel count is making it very difficult to prop up the membership numbers. Maybe only in the Moridor are chapels full.

Somehow Mormins need to get the message that they are only about 3 to 5 million strong. Might not change the TBM count, but they cannot deny their leaders maliciously lie and deceive their followers. Then the conversation about Mormonism can really start with a TBM.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dit ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 03:52PM

What's interesting is how the active member graph line peaks at right around the popularity of the internet. Coincidence? I think not.

Date: June 24, 2013 03:52PM

And why did the membership start taking an upwards rise aroung 1960-ish?

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 06:16PM

Just a guess: that was a period of social upheaval and protest against authority. I suspect many people turned to strict religious groups to protect themselves and their kids from the loosening of social convention, changing of women's roles and opportunities, anger against Viet Nam and the government. I think it was pretty scary for lots of Americans. The morg offered a return to the good old days of the fifties.

Posted by: rbtanner ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 06:57PM

Adult of god has a huge point. One of the reasons I was attracted to the LDS Church, was that it represented a tranquil throwback to the 1950s from the chaotic 1960s. I know I wasn't the only one as two of my close friends joined the LDS church in the early 1970s.

For those who hated the crazy of those times, the interest in the LDS church was also reflecting a backlash from conservative groups. In addition to that, was the popularity of the Bill Gothard seminars with the swelling numbers of Conservative Christians.

Both Ronald Reagan in California and Richard Nixon nationally, rode the conservative wave to public office. There was a wave of nostalgia with the playing of 1950s-'60s music that led to 'American Graffiti' in the theaters. How could the LDS church NOT benefit?

Today, the conservative movement is peaking, including interest in religion. The writing is now on the wall for the LDS church.

Posted by: ramonglyde ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 05:16PM

I only wish a freedom and liberty movement were the replacement.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 06:41PM

Spot on, adult.

I joined in 1972 because I was a single mother and the world was in great turmoil. I had four little boys and was afraid I might make mistakes raising them. I thought I needed help and they offered it.

It was a stable society within the unstable society.

I thought I was doing the right thing.

Anagrammy

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 03:53PM

The graph is great news. Thanks for posting it. I'd seen it before but forgot to bookmark it.

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 06:27PM

Is this really from PEW?

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 07:07PM

I think, too, that the United States was riding a wave of popularity around the world in the 50s and 60s and that opened a lot of doors to "missionaries" who were seen as a reflection of that. Europe was finally growing out of its post WW2 pit and standards of living and such were booming after the American pattern. Today the world at large is a lot more cynical about things American and two pre-emtive wards have not helped. That doesn't account for 60s growth in the US but I think "good times" had a lot to do with it here.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 07:49PM

On the graph, does "Official Members" refer to GA's and such?

Posted by: sha'dynasty ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 07:52PM

What is the difference between actual members of record and official members?

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 11:58PM

Not sure, but one possibility, TSCC keeps people on the records until they are something like 110 even if they die at age 50. The dead person would not be an actual member because they are dead, but they are still considered an official member.

And please do not ask me to reconcile this with the whole dead dunking thing.

Posted by: Fishy fishy ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:47PM

There's a lot of number fudging going on in the church right now. Where I'm from they've closed a number of long established wards due to insufficient priesthood numbers and yet, inexplicably, they've created more new stakes with no where near the required PH numbers to do so. Probably in anticipation of the windfall coming from their new missionary drive...yeah, right.

Posted by: MariaB ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:52PM

The rise in membership in the 1960s could also be due to the popularity of Mormon singing groups such as the Osmonds. I occasionally attend their concerts and there is a group of women who joined the church because of them. Type in Osmond on mormon.org and it will bring up the profiles of people who joined the LDS church because of the Osmond family.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 12:01AM

Well, it certainly explains why reactivating people is so important. Spending so much effort into getting new members, which skyrocketed, and active membership dropped? It is a waste of time and money to recruit so many if you don't keep them.

Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 12:13AM

Huh... I see a decline start happening about 1997, when the internet was taking off.

Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 06:04PM

It's actually a direct correlation to when I served my mission, '96-'98. I was very persuasive.

Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 12:24AM

Where did you get this? I can't find it anywhere on the interwebs. In fact, cumorah.com says this stuff hasn't been published for years.

Date: June 25, 2013 12:35AM

See the bottom of the page...I don't have time to read this but looks interesting....

http://nevinpratt.com/groups/workgroup/wiki/a3125/Decline_of_the_LDS_(Monson)_Church.html

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 01:15AM

It is a good read. It takes on some key issues in the head count done by the LDS church. There is comment about how Mormons still count people that have gone to the effort to remove their name from their organization in their total numbers.

My favorite quote is "The church is "cooking their books"!"

Mr. Obvious agrees and says "Potato chips are salty"

Date: June 25, 2013 02:13AM

Chips crumble, don't ya know?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.