Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 05:49PM

I live in the Idaho desert where it doesn't really get very hot. We will max out at about 85 in the rooms of our house where we don't have AC, so it's not horrible most days. But, even here where it's not melting, the "heat" is so much more tolerable with out that extra layer and clothing length restrictions. In past years I'd be wanting to turn on the AC and feel like I'm melting, but I'm totally fine this year. Ha! My DH comes home from work and strips down to his garments, so obviously he's hot... cheers for weather appropriate clothing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 05:57PM

Enjoy being cool and comfortable all summer.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 05:58PM

Hooray! You can wear so much more cool and comfortable stuff now :)

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 06:04PM

+1 out of hot Texas

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 06:07PM

Another +1 from Texas!

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 06:10PM

We went on a cruise through the Panama Canal last April, when I was TBM. I wore garments the whole damn time, and denim capris. I'm demanding a do-over.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 06:15PM

Take your do-over. Go on another cruise!

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 06:18PM

They are digging a new canal that is supposed to be opening in 2015. We plan to go after that. Next year, two week Hawaiian cruise with as little clothing as possible.

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 06:13PM

I bought a sleeveless nightgown for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. I don't know how I ever lived without one! Summer nights are so much cooler this way! I think I must have been crazy to spend so many summers sleeping in garments and a nightshirt. I mean, sleeping in layers during the summer? Who does that?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 06:21PM

How wonderful! I hope you have a great summer. :)

Posted by: liedtomywholelife ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:06PM

A TBM friend here in Texas made the comment that it was so hot that it felt like she was wearing Saran Wrap. So glad I don't have to wear garments anymore!!!

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:22PM

I wore garments for like 8 years after moving to Phoenix. What was I thinking? Oh yeah. I wasn't.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:23PM

People don't have it so bad anymore. Back in the 1960s and 1970s many of us lived in hot, muggy climates and had to wear one-piece solid nylon garments. You were a walking fire hazard, sparking any time you reached out to touch something. The garments were always clammy, but the fabric never gave a millimeter. When you bent over they would cut you off at the pass and make you yelp out loud.

The other alternative was all cotton jersey garments. They would soak up every drop of sweat and hang to mid-calf by the end of the day. One missionary I knew in Italy would change his garments only once per week. He was a skinny little guy and his one-piece cotton jersey garments would be down toward his ankles by Friday, and stained with urine at the crotch. Good times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2013 09:25PM by cludgie.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 01:09PM

I've heard about those long one-piece garments. But be thankful for living profits who received the revelations to move on with the times. =)

Seriously, the things I wish I had known before joining the lds church.

Posted by: anon for this comment ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:32PM

It's amazing that a church can talk people into wearing long johns day and night in hot humid weather.

Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 12:22AM

The magic garments don't keep you cool?

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 09:56AM

Garments are a wearable Slip N Slide.

Posted by: Lydia ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 12:39PM

Not to get off the point, but how I would love to know what 85degrees felt like on a regular basis ( gotta love a Uk summer) :) x

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 12:44PM

Cooler, or warmer, they are a very powerful religious tool. The idea of a religious reminder of some sort that is worn, is ancient, of course.

I eventually realized I didn't need a religious reminder and was capable of choosing all of my clothing.
I was an adult - with all my teeth. No such thing as "milk before meat" either that would ever apply to me again.

Several decades ago, in UT I was aware that they made a nice warm white, cotton "Union Suit" of sorts that many men wore, (ignoring the markings), as it was the best thing available at the time. (At Penny's-!) And people wore it that were not LDS or had not been to the temple, because it kept them warm in those really cold winters! Before Distribution Centers, we bought our garments over the counter at Penny's!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2013 12:45PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 01:13PM

Sikh men also wear 'religious' undershorts; I have No Idea where they get them, who makes them, or if they're 'off the shelf' with a special significance / blessing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.