Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 05:19PM

In Dissenting DOMA Rant

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/26/doma-scalia_n_3503706.html?&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl2%7Csec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D336539

The subject is still one of widely opposing opinions.

This is only one opposing article making the news.

This decision could easily have gone the other way.

On the one hand, some are rejoicing, on the others, people are loudly dissenting.

This subject will continue to be polarizing.

I'm for Equal Rights. Always have been.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elee ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 05:22PM

I haven't seen anybody here suggest otherwise.

The point is, that some of the legal battle has been settled and the people who fought for it are thrilled with the outcome.

I'm not sure why you are posting this.

Date: June 26, 2013 05:31PM

I am posting it because the polarizing opinions are not settled and in my view, never will be just because same sex marriages are accepted by the government.

This is just one example of the extreme opinions that will continue to be voiced. Notice who he is???

Antonin Gregory Scalia is an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. As the longest-serving justice currently on the Court, Scalia is the Senior Associate Justice.

It's just one opinion and one reason why the voting was so close.

The subject is not closed. Watch for more polarizing opinions.
I find this subject brings out the most adamant, angry, dissent opinions.

It's just an observation.

Again, I'm for Equal Rights.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 05:42PM

Actually, you need to look at the numbers Squzie. Opposition to Gay Marriage comes from old people with old ideas. Your ideas are an embarrassment to young people. Opposition to Marriage Equality is a losing game. Every year, thousands of those on your side die off, while thousands are born who will, when they come of age, look at your ideas with disgust and horror.
Have a nice day!

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 05:44PM

I'm 23 and I am appalled at the older generations views on equality.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 06:05PM

Been fighting this battle since before you were born. Don't even get me started on racism and sexism. They are the reasons I left the cult back in the mid 1970s.

Be advised that SusieQ's opinions (so-called) do not, by any stretch, represent the views of the "older" generation.

The reason younger folks are more accepting of homosexuality is because some of us old f**ks were out there arguing for the cause.

And it wasn't as close a call as suggested. I predicted that DOMA would go the way of the Dodo by a 5-4 vote and that Kennedy would be the tie-breaker. Watched and listened to all the arguments. Its was painfully obvious how the individual justices would vote. Keep in mind that every justice currently serving is an old f**k. Given that, I'd say us old f**ks have come a long way.

Timothy

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 06:14PM

Timothy, I didn't mean to include you in that statement. My generalization was too broad. I'm sorry.

My grandparents generation(76+) has a harder time with this in my experience. Also I live in Utah and the Mormon thought process on all this makes me sick.

Again I'm sorry for including you in my sweeping generalization. I rather like you.

I hate isms of any kind. I deal with ageism at work, because I'm training people twice or more my age.

I can't understand people who bang their drums for the constitution one minute, while denying equal rights the next..

Date: June 26, 2013 06:29PM

Hey Timothy. I'm a brand new 50 something. It's people in our generation that actually reconsidered their views on Gay Rights and Gay Marriage when challenged, and made a change. It's the change in attitudes by the 40 and 50-something's that brought such a rapid change in society. Had they not been open to reasoned arguments, it would have been just a waiting game for our generation, and the ones before us to die off.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 05:48PM

"Your ideas..."

Wait a second. What are her ideas?

I'm not sure she has expressed an opinion here.

Edit: I am REALLY looking hard for a homophobic message from her and I can't find one. There certainly isn't one here either. Are you inventing her opinion for her and expressing rage at the invented opinion?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2013 05:52PM by snb.

Date: June 26, 2013 08:15PM

snb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Your ideas..."
>
> Wait a second. What are her ideas?
>
> I'm not sure she has expressed an opinion here.
>
> Edit: I am REALLY looking hard for a homophobic
> message from her and I can't find one. There
> certainly isn't one here either. Are you
> inventing her opinion for her and expressing rage
> at the invented opinion?

Exactly!!

There is no other message other than:

1 - an observation
and

2 my opinion is, again, over and over and over, I am for Equal Rights. I say it dozens of times in many of my posts.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 05:49PM

Actually, SuzieQ#1 is absolutely correct. One need only look at what happened yesterday to the 1965 Voting Rights Act to see why. Nobody on either side of this fight is going to give it up, especially not with the 5-4 decision that came out today.

Date: June 26, 2013 05:35PM

Thank you Squzie and Scalia for showing us what Dinosaurs sound like as the go extinct!

My, what an awful noise!

Bloviators, Adieu!!

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 05:36PM

Are yiu trying to say that this is yes, a victory, but it will still be an uphill battle, because millions of people like Scalia still exist?

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 05:47PM

We know you oppose gay rights. We know your passive-aggressive tactics.

You don't like gays and you have made that painfully clear. Go spread your bile somewhere else.

Move on, your kind is no longer interesting.

Date: June 26, 2013 05:53PM

Again, I'm looking hard to try and find homophobic or anti-gay right comments from the OP and I can't find them.

Is this from a discussion that started before today and that I did not read?

Date: June 26, 2013 06:06PM

It started a LONG time ago, snb.

Date: June 26, 2013 06:18PM

Okay, if you say so. I saw nothing of the sort today, but if you claim that she has been anti-gay rights before then I will believe you.

Posted by: wings ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 06:30PM

Were you around RfM in 2008 snb?

Date: June 26, 2013 07:37PM

That long ago? I was around. Could she have changed at all?

Date: June 26, 2013 07:46PM

Could she have changed? Theoretically...

Alas

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 06:37PM

Being on this board long enough, I've seen her tactics.

She knows not to say anything that would pin her down ala Paula Deen.

Instead, she posts 20 times "questioning" and posting "opposing opinions". It's insidious and designed to get reactions like yours, "I don't see anything wrong".

Mormons know how to dance around an issue and still make their point.

Date: June 26, 2013 07:38PM

I get what you are saying. If it existed I likely wouldn't even have noticed it.

Sorry guys.

Posted by: wings ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 06:03PM

Yes, but did you read how eloquent Justice Kennedy was?

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/06/doma-justice-kennedy-children

As a long time, equal and human rights activist, today proved to me yet again one thing. This 200 year American experiment continues to slowly evolve for those of a minority class.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2013 07:44PM by wings.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 06:04PM

I'm gay and I have never engaged in sodomy. Heterosexual mates of mine and their girlfriends however.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2013 06:16PM by ozpoof.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 07:13PM

I'm a straight old married lady, almost as old as Susie Q, but I am just so happy today for all my gay and lesbian friends and have no need to quote a miserable old bigot to bring everyone down. Yeah, as they say "haters gonna hate", but no need to give them the time to quote them.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 07:14PM

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 07:17PM

The only thing I saw when I read this title was "Homosexual Sodomy in the D.I."

which I am all for btw...

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 07:20PM

Hahahhaha!! Me too!

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 07:29PM

lmao, Tupp.

Thanks for that link, Wings.

Amen, Quoth the Raven.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 07:27PM

it's a numbers game. Old farts don't like equal rights for gays. young people believe that gays deserve equal rights because they are their friends and family. Old farts die and take their hateful opinions with them to hell. Problem solved.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: June 26, 2013 07:35PM

Perhaps this is wrong of me but when I see older aholes ranting about gay marriage I just think "shut your hateful mouth and just die you useless bag of meat". Seeing old farts in newsreels from the 50s and 60s about desegregation in the south especially made me think that. And those old farts are moldy bones, may they never rest in peace.

Date: June 26, 2013 08:13PM

My OP is an observation.

My opinion is clear, always: Again, I am for Equal Rights.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.