Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: habiff ( )
Date: June 28, 2013 10:55AM

I know I may be a little behind the count, but I realized why TBMs always turn to ad hominem attacks when confronted by "anti" material. I turn to my favorite movie, The Matrix, Morpheus tells Neo that those walking around them are so reliant on the "system" they will do anything to defend it. So it is with TBMs, their whole reality is based on the church being true. If they really look objectively at material presented to them it will "pull the rug out from under them". If they attack the messenger, their belief system remains intact, because the church isn't at fault it is "antimormon Joe" and they can continue to function as normal. It is a defense mechanism

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Green Potato ( )
Date: June 28, 2013 12:06PM

Habiff, I allege that you drink coffee, therefore anything you say is a vicious lie ;)

Posted by: saintdorothymantooth ( )
Date: June 28, 2013 12:12PM

hahaha +1

Posted by: theGleep ( )
Date: June 28, 2013 03:14PM

Not just their reality - but their *IDENTITY*

I had a friend throw a hissy-fit when I posted a facebook comment related to "Mormons being Christian." Later, she explained why she reacted so strongly - she said that church was such a part of her identity that she felt *personally* attacked.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.