Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 12:25PM

I watched this over the weekend. I had heard of it. My Mormon acquaintance knowing I was a descendent lent me his copy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigham_Young_%28film%29

What a disaster of a movie. One would have thought Mary Young was his wife and the others only concubines. They barely were mentioned and only in the context of showing how saintlike Brigham's first was was in "sharing."

Also, how many non-members went with the Mormons to settle Utah?

I need to look it up but where there an Angus Duncan? The name doesn't ring a bell.

And Porter Rockwell came off as some kind of guardian angle cowboy.

But vincent Price wasn't too bad a looker back in the day and a big man. He played Joseph Smith terribly. One would have thought he were playing Jesus Christ.

So, which of the elder "apostles" was actually alive in 1940? These men need to take Hollywood to task for rewriting their history. Oh, wait, they want to lie and deceive. My bad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 12:32PM

How ironic. I have "Brigham Young" in my Netflix queue. I am anxious to see it. I shall view it for the "comedy" (or shall I say tragedy) it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2013 12:32PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: Exmo Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 12:39PM

I was at a flea market with my wife and kids and my wife bought it for $1 thinking it would make me laugh. I still haven't found 2 hours worth wasting on it.

Date: July 01, 2013 01:46PM

He was talking about "The Restoration." He sounded like this movie. He probably was involved in it. I would like to know.

As a former Mormon and a descendent of Brigham Young this was very entertaining. It encapsulates the "ignorant bliss" someone recently posted about Mormon History and it is also commentary on the 40s. It is how people back then, "Ah, shucks"-ed themselves with information instead of going for accuracy.

The movie was a dud. There is a Special Feature about how many theaters in Salt Lake they had to show it in to keep up with the demand. Apparently, after the first showing it went flat even there!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 02:02PM

I always thought it was hilarious that Vincent Price, later king of cheesy horror flicks, played JS.

Date: July 01, 2013 02:32PM

To people like William Law and the people who rebelled against Smith whom they considered a fallen prophet, Smith probably came across as a "king" of horrors.

Now that is some real history. Vincent Price trying to talk a married woman to marry him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.