Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 10:50PM

I was thinking back on a conversation I had with a TBM friend a few years ago. She was concerned that I had stopped going to church and asked me - sincerely - what the reason was. I didn't feel like it was a re-activation attempt, or an attempt to get ammo to take back to the Ward council, she was just curious.

I told her that in my opinion, the LDS god just seemed so petty and immature that I couldn't justify my faith in him anymore. This is a god that will prompt his "servants" to ramble on and on about the evils of coffee and buttsex, but things like polygamy, the emotional abuse of women, and bullying of members is alright. That portrait of God seems so limited and so pathetic - rather than the grand God who painted the universe with a stroke of his hand, Elohim needed to have a meeting to discuss how the universe would be created, and then send a committee down to do the foot-work.

And once you open your eyes to that, it's like a loose thread that ends up unraveling the whole shirt. You start to see how man has started to create god in their own image rather than the other way around.

I'm not saying that I don't believe in God - there is nothing that I would like more than to believe that there is an all-powerful, perfect creator out there who loves all his children completely and unconditionally - but there is something so weak and helpless about the Mormon version. A god that will track down your car keys, but is suddenly weak and helpless in the face of disaster, war, and hunger.

Mormons like to claim that they have the answers to all of the universe's biggest questions - but once you start to ask the wrong questions, the answer becomes "Well, that isn't important right now - it'll be sorted out later." That's code for "we have no idea, but we know that you are defenseless against this answer." I know, because I used that answer more times than I care to count.

Last night I was enjoying "The Avengers," and I felt like a lot of us here have sort of become The Hulk in this scene that I hope you all get a chuckle out of like I did!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdH8_MIIEpQ

Anyway, I've rambled enough. Time to step away from the keyboard and contemplate the great mysteries of the universe for the evening. I'll return tomorrow...possibly with chips...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 10:56PM

Haha I love that Avengers scene. And now that I'm apostate, I can see it from a new perspective! Wonderful!

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 10:57PM

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 11:30PM

Loved that scene - thanks

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 11:38PM

Small minds believe in small gods. Joseph Smith was a very small mind, and created a small, pagan god.

Genesis 1 says, "And God created man in His image and likeness." Huckster Smith figured that since Man is flesh-and-bone, God must be, too. Interestingly, Mary Baker Eddy (Christian Science founder) took the same verse and reasoned opposite--to equally pathetic results. She figured that since God is a non-material spirit, Mankind must also be non-material, and thus, the material body doesn't really exist--it's an illusion! Both failed to grasp that an "image" and a "likeness" is not the same thing as ontological substance.

My guess is that Smith and Eddy had the same amount of education--very little.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.