Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 02:43PM

Brother-in-law posted some quote from GC about how women have procreative power and men have priesthood power so there is basically a balance of power and both edify and exalt each other.

Seriously?

So women are wombs and men are magicians to help wombs and I suppose other magic men as well as possibly men lacking any real reason to live? God should just kill everyone who doesn't have a womb or magic and let those blessed with either access to magic or the magic itself to posthumously save them, right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 02:49PM

So, does the husband of an infertile woman have his priesthood power revoked?

Date: July 02, 2013 02:56PM

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 02:57PM

God bless, uh, god for that.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 02:49PM

Now you have that 1976 song by Heart stuck in my head... "Mama, he's a Magic Man"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoZUQ0QC19c

Date: July 02, 2013 02:54PM

Except to be a Mormon Magic Man you need a little tiny tool filled with holy oil.

Posted by: johngaltspeaking ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 02:51PM

That apologetic is getting a bit tired don't you think? I can't believe women (or men for that matter) buy it. Men have the power to procreate too. As long as you don't think about it i guess it works.

Date: July 02, 2013 02:56PM

johngaltspeaking Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That apologetic is getting a bit tired don't you
> think?

I'm tired of it.

Posted by: 8thgeneration ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:00PM

Yep. Men have procreative powers as well. So men get twice the blessings than women who only get 9 months of pregnancy and a life time of nurturing.

Sounds like a fair balance to me. /sarcasm

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:05PM

that allowing your body to be occupied, expanded, and then violently vacated by a baby is not a power. It's a sacrifice that can take a permanent toll on your body. There are a few women that love being pregnant, I've heard. But I haven't met any.

For many women, it starts with 3 months of sickness, moves into 3 months of a little relief, but weight gain and loosening ligaments and muscles, and ends with 3 months of feeling like a beached whale, followed by a painful delivery and weeks (or months) of recovery to get back to normal. Once the baby is born, it's very difficult to do ANYTHING but care for that child, including sleep. How is this power? In fact, keeping women pregnant is one way men have of controlling them.

When every female creature on earth holds this "power", it's really a just standard feature of being female.

But I gotta say, if he wants to call it a power, at least it's a real ability. Priesthood power is pretend. But we all know the "priesthood power" is the excuse many men use to say they get to call the shots. "You women get to have the babies, and WE get to call the shots. See? Separate but equal abilities." It's pretty twisted if you ask me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 03:07PM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:24PM

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 11:24PM

imaworkinonit Wrote,in part:
--------------------------------------------------

> When every female creature on earth holds this
> "power", it's really a just standard feature of
> being female.
===================================================

Scuse me... NOT every female creature has or had this power!
Some of us, I suppose, according to your reckoning, are just substandard, eh?

:::::::wandering off in search of my emergency chocolate supply:::::

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:09PM

Why do these morons think that women want to steal their "power?" It has nothing to do with power, darn it! It has everything to do with being allowed access to God, to expand and express our personal spirituality, as we see fit.

It's not a contest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 03:10PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:49PM

Senoritalamanita Wrote:
> Why do these morons think that women want to steal
> their "power?" It has nothing to do with power,
> darn it! It has everything to do with being
> allowed access to God, to expand and express our
> personal spirituality, as we see fit.
>
> It's not a contest.

This. Women just want access to God, and it has nothing to do with power. In fact, it's a major reason why I'm not Mormon, Catholic, or part of any church that won't ordain women. I think those who fear women's ordination in the LDS church the most are those who use their priesthood as an excuse to abuse women.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 03:49PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:27PM

And another thing - men get to choose whether or not they receive their "power". They get to decide whether or not they want to join the priesthood. Their "power" is dependent on their actions, and they are responsible for choosing what those actions may be.

I, on the other hand, did not get to decide that I can never have biological children. My shite ovaries made that call on my behalf. This has nothing to do with my actions, or my choices, or my responsibility. It simply has to do with biology. So how in the hell is those two "powers" equal?

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:38PM

So, women get to risk their lives and health popping out babies and that justifies men being given authority in all things? Bullshit.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:44PM

It takes a man and a woman to come up with a baby, but it only takes a couple of dicks to come up with the priesthood.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:49PM

Heh.

Posted by: DishyDoodle ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 04:15PM

Hahahaha!!

Posted by: anonforthisone ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:58PM

I could only buy that line if every woman had a nice, comfortable pregnancy. Hyperemesis gravida is a real thing. Puking for 9 months straight isn't a freaking blessing.

Date: July 02, 2013 04:06PM

anonforthisone Wrote:
> I could only buy that line if every woman had a
> nice, comfortable pregnancy.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 04:12PM

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 04:16PM

blueorchid,

That was priceless! Thank you for the hearty laugh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 04:17PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: Belle ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 04:22PM

My cat has a womb. What is the big freakin' deal about mking babies? Female TBM does the same as my cat.

Posted by: kokaubeammeup ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 04:56PM

Belle Wrote:
> My cat has a womb. What is the big freakin' deal
> about mking babies? Female TBM does the same as my
> cat.

But clearly your cat will not reach its true potential happiness without a companion magician cat. that's obvious.

Date: July 02, 2013 06:00PM

Or they won't have a "God-in-the-making Soul."

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 11:11PM

If you are as a good as a cat, then you are a special person.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 07:36AM

There's a reason why cat's won't develop an organized religion.
http://bobbiblogger.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/god.jpg

Posted by: anon for this comment ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 06:12PM

Then there's the tricky little problem of women who aren't having babies. You know the ones. They might be your grandmother, your aunt, even your mother. The baby making factory has closed for business.

Apparently once a woman has reached menopause, had surgery that ended her power, or just plain can't have a baby, her power is gone. Now there's some dark ages thinking for ya. I can't believe mormon women fall for that tripe.

Men get to keep their power no matter what's going on with their hormones, age, or whatever. A lot of times it's just a matter of how good they are at lying.

So here we have a couple that's been married for 40 years. She no longer has her power. He still has all of his. In fact it may even get upgraded once in a while.

What a silly religion mormonism is. The more they talk, the less sense they make.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 11:18PM

We're missing the most important point here. Every female species on earth can birth children, but why do only human males get special priesthood powers? My old dog was a much better being then Thomas S. Monson, wouldn't he be more priesthood worthy?

Posted by: Fluhist ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 02:03AM

When I was having my sixth child in the early 1980s, my doctor told me I must stop becoming pregnant or he could not be responsible for my health. I went to the Bishop who showed me the apostle's advice on contraception that Church members (especially those with Temple marriages like mine) who curtailed the birth of their children would experience 'disapointment'. Disapointment sounded better than dying in my early 30s leaving 5 children (I had lost one at birth) so I ignored the instuction. Now at over sixty I want to yell "If this isn't dissapointment I don't KNOW what is!!". I had obeyed for so many years and yet my marriage broke up and my children were swept in many directions. NOT what I had planned. But they are all fine and I am okay, but I certainly am NOT listening to any more 'advice' from Church leaders or anyone else. My decisions at least now are MINE. If I blow it, I blow it, that is my responsibility. But NEVER again will I ever do what any church leader says I should. Motherhood was NOT the blessing I thought it would be. It was YEARS of unappreciated hard work and criticism. I don't want the
'blessing' of the priesthood either, so I guess I am just a renegade!
Give me disapointment anyday!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 05:53AM

Female dung beetles have the power to procreate, does that mean male dung beetles have the priesthood?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.