Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 09:20AM

We had the apostate lesson yesterday. It was very sad to be in a room with people that actively wanted to remain ignorant.

A member actually said that people are leaving because of historic things not adding up. She said that people need to stop criticizing the leaders, because they are human.

Then it was pretty heavy on pray and read your scriptures. It was all pretty sad to me. The Pint of Cream story was told, it sad to me that they don't realize that they telling the lies because the lesson manuals support the lies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kj ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 09:26AM

Posted by: bizquick ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 09:36AM

From: https://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?locale=0&sourceId=bc6f9207f7c20110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=32c41b08f338c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

"Some members are deceived because of their pride. The following story illustrates how pride led Thomas B. Marsh, who was President of the Quorum of the Twelve, and his wife, Elizabeth, into apostasy.

While living in Far West, Missouri, Sister Marsh and Sister Harris decided to exchange milk so they could each make a larger cheese than they otherwise could. They agreed to send each other both the milk and the cream from their cows. But Sister Marsh saved a pint of cream from each cow and sent Sister Harris the milk without the cream.

A quarrel arose, and the matter was referred to the bishop. When he determined that Sister Marsh had violated her agreement, she and her husband were upset and appealed the matter to the high council and then to the First Presidency. Each council approved the original decision that Sister Marsh had been in error.

Thomas B. Marsh declared that he would sustain the character of his wife. Soon afterward, he turned against the Church and went before a government official to declare that the Latter-day Saints were hostile toward the state of Missouri."

Posted by: theGleep ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 05:16PM

If someone can back that, I'd *LOVE* to post it to Snopes :)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 09:37AM

Because they find out the BoA papyri have nothing to do with the published scripture, are being petty?

That'd wake everybody up, but I'm not sure there would be much discussion. The teacher would probably have a coronary!

Posted by: bizquick ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 09:43AM

Ah yes, Lesson #24 "Be Not Deceived, but Continue in Steadfastness". The Pint of Cream was mentioned in our lesson and pride was discussed extensively. There were a lot of comments about being offended, or wanting to leave church because you want to sin or are lazy.

When the instructor brought up debating points of doctrine/disagreeing with church leaders, the room got a little quieter. It still doesn't compute with many TBMs that people aren't leaving for petty reasons. The BIG problems with church history and leadership aren't being addressed...because addressing 200 years of fiction and lies are problematic.

Date: July 08, 2013 09:59AM

The teacher did give a shout out to RFM (kind of). She said she knew exmormons and they were a sad and angry bunch of people.

Date: July 08, 2013 10:02AM

The bishop said that people were leaving because they weren't reading their scriptures and praying enough.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 03:20PM

I'm sad and angry that my life was less than it could have been. That I have dumb ideas in my head that nail my feet to the ground.

Date: July 08, 2013 09:45AM

Mormons like to tell the story of Thomas Marsh as someone who left the church because his wife was accused for stealing a pint of cream.

He actually left because of a dispute with how the Danites were treating dissenters (ran them out of Far West with threats of death) and because Mormons were looting and burning non-Mormon areas.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 10:53AM

What difference does it make? He left because he was offended.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 09:48AM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,42220,42220#msg-42220

Years later, in 1864, George A. Smith claimed in a sermon that Marsh had left the church because of a dispute between his wife and other Mormon women over a milk cow. Although this tale has made its way into Mormon folklore, Smith’s statements are not supported by any contemporary evidence

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 03:21PM

Is this the same George A. Smith that riled people in Southern Utah against a certain emigration train?

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 04:36PM

Yep. Him and Heber C. Kimball

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 09:55AM

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 10:20AM

a pint of cream ? -A TON OF MORmON BULL S-H-IT!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQTQLsOL5t8

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 02:54PM

David Jason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We had the apostate lesson yesterday. It was very
> sad to be in a room with people that actively
> wanted to remain ignorant.
>
> A member actually said that people are leaving
> because of historic things not adding up. She said
> that people need to stop criticizing the leaders,
> because they are human.
>
> Then it was pretty heavy on pray and read your
> scriptures. It was all pretty sad to me. The Pint
> of Cream story was told, it sad to me that they
> don't realize that they telling the lies because
> the lesson manuals support the lies.

Anyone paying attention is hopefully thinking:

Wait! There are historic things that don't add up? What?

Posted by: Leo Walsh ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 03:33PM

Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 03:52PM

It makes you think of the old pioneer days when you had to make your own butter. It has that romantic feel to it. Much different than a modern story would be about a gallon of milk. The romance distracts from the absurdity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.