Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 11:33AM

...I'm a grand-standing bunhole and from time to time become a drama queen. So, bite me, it happens. Apparently, having my posts just up and disappear pisses me off, but I guess I don't understand what the criterion is for redaction. I blame it on hemorrhoids and too much hair growing in my ears. Since I stomped off with my hair on fire, I've had people stalking me on Facebook. Keep up the good work! I'll always talk to dudes that used to own a Goat and gals with sparkley eyes.

RfM is like the velvet Elvis painting you see in Mexico. You know it's gaudy and downright ugly, but you want to buy it anyway because you can't help but stare at it.

That said, I apologize for being a dipshit from time to time, but I still adhere to Dorothy Parker's admonition: "If you don't have anything good to say, come sit down next to me on this little pillow." Oh, and "#uck you" is a perfectly acceptable reponse to someone like me. However, my response is something like "Ya? Best piece of a$$ YOU'LL ever get!". So, as well as being a dipshit and a drama queen (not very often, however), I laugh at everything and anything because some things are so ugly, repulsive and sad that I don't know what else to do. I, myself, can be ugly, repulsive and sad so I find myself laughing at myself quite a bit. Very therapeutic.

And to GetHerDone: Pttttttttttttthththththtffftttt! Here's your raspberry for the day. :D

Carry on.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 11:37AM

We need some stability round here!

Timothy

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 11:38AM

Ron, your message here is exactly why I posted this one here:
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,92847,94420#msg-94420

Your apt analogy to the velvet elvis is somehow self-projecting.

You are the reason we can't stop staring at RfM. lol

(hope you realize I am ribbing you here)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 11:38AM

And, I think a good laugh with a cup of coffee is the all time best way to start a day.:-)

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 11:39AM

I almost wished I was on Facebook so I could have contributed to the stalking!

You have a lot of fans here who love your nasty old man humor! ;)

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 11:39AM

Don't ever change, Ron.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 11:54AM

ExMormonRon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...I'm a grand-standing bunhole and from time to
> time become a drama queen. So, bite me, it
> happens. Apparently, having my posts just up and
> disappear pisses me off, but I guess I don't
> understand what the criterion is for redaction. I
> blame it on hemorrhoids and too much hair growing
> in my ears. Since I stomped off with my hair on
> fire, I've had people stalking me on Facebook.
> Keep up the good work! I'll always talk to dudes
> that used to own a Goat and gals with sparkley
> eyes.
>
> RfM is like the velvet Elvis painting you see in
> Mexico. You know it's gaudy and downright ugly,
> but you want to buy it anyway because you can't
> help but stare at it.
>
> That said, I apologize for being a dipshit from
> time to time, but I still adhere to Dorothy
> Parker's admonition: "If you don't have anything
> good to say, come sit down next to me on this
> little pillow." Oh, and "#uck you" is a perfectly
> acceptable reponse to someone like me. However,
> my response is something like "Ya? Best piece of
> a$$ YOU'LL ever get!". So, as well as being a
> dipshit and a drama queen (not very often,
> however), I laugh at everything and anything
> because some things are so ugly, repulsive and sad
> that I don't know what else to do. I, myself, can
> be ugly, repulsive and sad so I find myself
> laughing at myself quite a bit. Very therapeutic.
>
>
> And to GetHerDone:
> Pttttttttttttthththththtffftttt! Here's your
> raspberry for the day. :D
>
> Carry on.
>
> Just sayin'...
>
> Ron

Ron, it is a random process.

Susan deletes the offensive stuff, but a little computer, just culls what it fancies to. ;o))

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 12:22PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 12:29PM

We like you just the way you are. Glad you are back!

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 12:32PM

Welcome back.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 12:39PM

Posted by: Rob ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 12:50PM

The scissors are for your ear hair.

Just sayin'

Posted by: Voce d' Sicce ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 01:16PM

The board just isn't the same without you.

S

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 01:19PM

The whole point of RfM is being a home for drama queens, isn't it? That's why I'm here. ;)

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 01:29PM

As Matt says, from my observations over the years, some of it is "a random process", I think especially now with the new-ish spam filter. Who knows what the filter will shunt to spirit prison from our posts that may be completely innocuous. It may change based on what spam is out there at any given time or how we combine our words or who knows what else. Definitely if I get the spam message to indicate why my post is being blocked I will email Admin to ask them to check it out. They do a brisk business in releasing all the little spirit prison detainees, I understand. But with so many posts and so much action, they often don't see it themselves - you have to contact them each time - and/or don't always see their emails right away, I'd guess. I know it is a big priority for us to get our posts up as soon as we write them but strangely that is not always a priority for Admin. I had one post I was particularly anxious to get out there just before Christmas but it took a week or more to give Admin time to look at it and once they released it the subject matter was stale, so that is also something we have to shrug off as time goes on and life keeps happening and keeping it in perspective (the world will go on even though my post didn't fly) is where I try to focus.

As far as actually getting deleted, I hate that. It's happened to me on occasion with my own threads but even more so with reply posts I write on others' threads. It's hard sometimes to figure out what and who it is appropriate to respond to. It took me a long time to figure out the troll thing around here and even then sometimes I don't realize it's a troll or don't care, sometimes just wanting to respond anyway if something irks me mightily. Most often I can guess in these cases why I got deleted but if not I do email Sus I/S. Sometimes my post may reappear but most often in this case it doesn't. I used to take it personally but I've got over that after all this time.

So, bottom line, which I know Ron knows, but for other readers who may not, if your post gets nuked, don't take it as a personal slight (it could be coming from a machine!) but rather email Admin. They can determine if your post can stand as is, needs editing, was deleted accidentally, was collateral damage or whatever and in some cases they can reinstate it. It certainly never hurts to ask. Patience is required because as I mentioned, on any given day we may not be as much of a priority to Admin as we are to ourselves and these things take time. :)

I'm glad you came back Ron. I don't like to see anybody leave due to problems (or perceived problems) with the board. I hope it's always here for everyone's benefit and that everyone who is sincere gets what they need from their interactions here.

Posted by: anon for this one ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 02:01PM

Very smug of you all, but I call it bullpucky. Don't pretend there isn't someone deleting posts. Last spring a regular poster who was supposedly very popular with some of you was hounded off the board by the local b**** brigade and within two days every last one of his posts on the entire "Message List" was deleted. Now everybody posts that they miss him. Right.

I know all the excuses: this is a private board and all that other stuff. Whatever. Just don't pretend this is neutral or democratic. In alot of ways it is just as biased and small minded as your average ward.

Date: January 26, 2011 02:05PM

Other than you, I mean.

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 02:06PM by Timothy.

Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 04:17PM

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 04:41PM

If this individual is talking about who I think they're talking about, nobody I know is missing that person... My e-mail box started to accumulate stuff the moment that one returned, and I took a neutral view and just observed for about, oh, a week...

To add to what Nightingale said below, others that indulge themselves in the do-it-yourself-crucifixion operations are the crazy-makers... They're fond of double-binds, disingenuous shell games, and unsupported attacks and control moves on broadly held points-of-view (just like this poster did).

I try to engage in some cognitive restructuring from time to time with these sorts, but sometimes they just won't quit hollering and hold still while I draw them a few diagrams... Reminds me of customers who try to give me directions on the shortest way somewhere, only with those idiots at least I have the meter working for me (plus, oh, forty years of getting around the Salt Lake Valley).

And very occasionally, I've been privilege to some behind-the-scenes peeks (often when i look at what's being said on other boards), and the behavior of the nasties-portraying-themselves-as-victims has to be seen to be believed...

And it's a simple task to avoid getting shot; if there's gunfire around and you don't like it, stay in your foxhole and watch it through your periscope...

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 02:13PM

Nobody says posts don't get deleted. In fact, this whole thread (pretty much) is about deletions. But to suggest that some malevolent presence goes after targetted posters is sounding a little eensy bit paranoid (and hey, I can be paranoid with the best of 'em but I try not to get too far out there).

Who said this board is neutral or democratic? In fact, it demonstrably is not. There are types of people not welcome here, which is clearly stated (i.e., active Mormons who want to defend the Mormon Church, Mormon apologists en bloc without mercy, and religious folks who can't help but preach at us, those who consistently cannot follow the simple board guidelines, and obvious trolls, to name a few groups). This board is for ex-Mormons and questioning Mormons and others with an interest or association with Mormonism. What is neutral about that?

Most often, when Admin makes a rule or exercises its judgement, that is all she wrote, which is also not "democratic" but that's the way the board works best, I assume, for Eric, Board Guy.

I find that often, here, as in life, it is our own expectations that let us down. Not having our expectations fulfilled can be disappointing or even disillusioning (like how we expect "the one true church" not to lie, for instance; disillusioning when it does eh?) Expecting this board to go the way we think it should 100% of the time and taking things too personally (including the replies we receive or the way our posts get modded) are two things almost guaranteed to decrease our enjoyment here.

Again, I agree with the frequent recommendation to courteously approach Admin if there are any problems or questions with one's posts. I have never observed that they DON'T want as many people as possible to post. What would be the point of that?

Good luck to all who venture here. :)

Posted by: puck ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 04:12PM

I agree with anon and know exactly what he's talking about. But I also think threads are closed too quickly in addition to some censorship going on from time to time. Miss an old regular poster? it might be because their IP address is blocked...

Date: January 26, 2011 04:28PM

... you do realize RFM is privately funded?

Its not nor has it ever been "nuetral" or a "democracy" and no one pretends otherwise.

Anon acts like its a secret that censorship or exclusion come solely at the discretion of admin. I'm not making this stuff up. Its just the way things are all by themselves.

Timothy

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 04:19PM

anon for this one Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very smug of you all, but I call it bullpucky.
> Don't pretend there isn't someone deleting posts.
> Last spring a regular poster who was supposedly
> very popular with some of you was hounded off the
> board by the local b**** brigade and within two
> days every last one of his posts on the entire
> "Message List" was deleted. Now everybody posts
> that they miss him. Right.
>
> I know all the excuses: this is a private board
> and all that other stuff. Whatever. Just don't
> pretend this is neutral or democratic. In alot of
> ways it is just as biased and small minded as your
> average ward.

I wasn't being smug. But for you, I could do offensive, if you like. But I won't. YET. ;o))

OF COURSE there's people who delete posts, here! There is on every board worth its salt.

Date: January 26, 2011 04:26PM

I doubt there are many people here who haven't had at least one of their posts taken down. It happens to me all the time.

And as Nightengale so eloquently put it, no one is claiming this board is neutral or a democracy. It's anything but. A lot of us have days when if we get a post deleted for whatever reason, we take it personally, I know I do. But saying that certain people are singled out for no good reason is complete bullshit.

Date: January 26, 2011 04:28PM

I'm singled out for no good reason.

:P

Ron

Date: January 26, 2011 04:30PM

Tell ya what. Let's see if we can get singled-out together!

Timothy

Date: January 26, 2011 04:35PM

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 04:59PM

Man-crush whore!

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 02:05PM

You're leaving,...you're staying,... I can't keep riding this emotional rollercoaster with you. You have to commit to this relationship, if we are to move forward...

To sweeten the pot, I did own, and had to milk twice daily, a goat as a teenager.

Just sayin'

Date: January 26, 2011 02:12PM

"Goat", in this diatribe, means a vintage Pontiac GTO.

:)

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 02:19PM

as Tim says..
who gives a s@@t!! :)
i started a thread in your honor yesterday Ron!! and it promptly got
DELETED!!! :)
it was about who gets deleted most.... anyway i better shut up before Susan deletes this one!!! Hi Susan!! :)
dont forget i gave you that crab dip recipe!! :)

Date: January 26, 2011 02:21PM

It got deleted? Bad boy!

I bet Susan's HOT, hot! But that's just me.

Ron

Date: January 26, 2011 02:22PM

oh, and she has a dog which adds to the heat!

Posted by: George Bailey ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 02:25PM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 05:10PM

Welcome back curmudgeon. I was all ready with an Exmormon Ron sighting at the dog park near Albany--

There are few posters who so regularly give a belly laugh--but where else would you find so many people who GET you?

I'm sure after two days you were sick of being offered farm animals and being invited to virtual pillow fights or (such fun) being asked to choose between a pirate and a fairy...

This is one of the few board that is sanctimony-free. It's why I love it...your raw humor over piety ANY day.

Cheers

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.