Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: al-iced ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 06:19AM

Saw "The Book of Mormon" on Broadway in New York. Bought tickets the same day for $299/ ticket. Got the last two seats in the house. Outrageous price, but I wasn't going to miss it.

Hilariously funny for non-Mormons, but while everyone around me was laughing, I was crying. Crying because I used to believe all those crazy things, and I used to be those missionaries. Crying because my family still believe all the ridiculous things that the whole audience is laughing so spontaneously about. Crying because my ancestors believed and followed a tall tale telling "Arnold" by the name of Joseph Smith. Crying because normal people can see straight through the BS but, my family can't.

Thought it was over the top as far as profanity goes. And admiring the official LDS non-response. If it had been about Islam, someone would have a death threat on their heads. If it had been about Judaism there would have been an uproar over intolerance. Taking it in stride is their best option, but I know if any active LDS person saw it, they would be highly offended.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Deja Boo ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 06:46AM

My experience too. I cried the first half of the show. Laughed the second half. I understand some TBMs have seen and not walked out. Some have. It was joyful for me to view it from where I am today but very humbling to face where I have been and how gullible and naive I was. Still, even at the outragious prices, I would encourage those who can to go see it.

Posted by: al-iced ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 06:51AM

What price did you pay, Deja Boo?

Glad to know someone had the same emotional response that I did.

Date: July 09, 2013 07:16AM

I don't know. The trip to NY and to the Musical was a gift from our kids. One of them admitted that they paid through the nose for the tickets but I didn't push to know. (Sort of like looking a gift horse in the mouth. lol) Very memorable experience. (We have some very generous and wonderful kids.)

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 09:46AM

Trey Parker and Matt Stone have angered Muslims, Jews, Catholics, Scientologists, you name it, but Mormons have been a frequent target of their satire for years. The first time I heard about the seer stone in the hat was from an episode of South Park.
I have tickets for a performance in October. I missed it the last time it was local (the tickets sold out almost instantly), so I planned ahead this time.

Posted by: moronistrombone ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 01:24PM

Same for with South Park. I had no idea whatsoever about the stone and hat before that moment. Thought they were just BSing.

Date: July 09, 2013 10:31AM

Sometimes people become so vigorus in their telling how good a movie, or a show is that when I finally see the actual thing, I come a way a bit disappointed, thinking maybe it was good but not that good. I am usually careful when the prasies seem too high and try to not over praise a production myself.

However, in my opinion, no matter how glowing the report is in regards to The BofM Musical, it will still be an understatement. For me it truly was an experience I will never forget.

Posted by: brian ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 11:15AM

Paid $350 for my tickets in 2011. Laughed during the entire movie. Mormons deserve all of the ridicule they get. This musical is simply brilliant. Stone and Parker get Mormonism. I don't watch their TV show, but the "dumb, dumb, dumb..." song on the one Mormon episode captured its essence.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 11:47AM

I know exactly what you mean about the crying while everyone was laughing. Several parts of the show really hit me and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

In the end I found it to be very cathartic and was able to laugh and let go of a lot of the resentment I had building up.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 12:06PM

For West Coasters, it's coming back to LA (the Pantages) next January. I saw it twice when it was here last year - paid about $160 for one ticket and $50 for the other. Had to get them early, though!

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 01:10PM

I thought it was funny, and the profanity was over the top to the point of being a junior high skit, but since it does not portray mormon beliefs or the missionary experience accurately, it sort of lost it's impact - the church can claim it's a total piece of nonsense. I did however love the Scary Mormon Hell scene.

I think part of the reason I was not so enthusiastic about it was that my mission was far from a funny joke, and a play about the kinds of things Mormon Missionaries really endure might be more important, perhaps someday an Exmo will write a broadway hit about the experience.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 02:24PM

al-iced Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And admiring the official LDS non-response.
> Taking it in stride is their best
> option,

Well, yeah. Because the crazy isn't really exaggerated very much to make it humorous. Bringing any additional attention to the musical would be like recommending MormonThink to everybody.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.