Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 06:49PM

These are a few of my favorite tidbits from the last 48 hours

1. Hey, did you know Joseph smith was a mason and that some people think that that is where he got the temple ceremony from? Didn't anyone stop to think that maybe the masons got it from Solomon? I mean, there IS a book about it...

2. (After looking at a coexist bumper sticker) nice thought, but don't they know that we can't coexist until the millennium?

3. I wish the ACLU and Obama would leave the Boy Scouts alone. It's just a matter of time before they sue the church!

4. (When I was pretending to have a migraine) do you need a blessing? If you have even enough faith like a mustard seed the priesthood can heal you

5. Last Friday night when we were cleaning the temple...

Okay, now you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: emma ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 07:50PM

In laws do not talk about religion to my face, but from what i understand they talk about me behind my back. There is a consensus between them and dh that he needs to be the example in the family (apparently to make up for evil mom).

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 08:00PM

My MIL said a couple of months ago "Well, you know, eventually all good people will accept the gospel." She doesn't realize DH and I haven't been active for years because she lives half an hour away and is pretty self-absorbed. She also told me about a very successful reactivation program her sister helped with in Salt Lake City that reactivated 18 people in one stake in one year. She said it would soon be church-wide. She said that her brother was inactive for years, then one day someone said "Why don't you come to church with us next Sunday" and he thought "I don't know why" and answered "sure, I'll come." He's been active ever since apparently. She thinks that if people are good, all they really need is to have someone ask them back to church and they will come.

Posted by: procrusteanchurch ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 08:44PM

I love number 4 - put the pressure on the person getting blessed. That thinking keeps faith in priesthood blessings. When it doesn't work, it's because the sick person didn't have enough faith, not because the blessing was a farce.

Posted by: m ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 08:48PM

Honey pay on your gross earnig so we can get gross blessings

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 09:08PM

1. You got dehydrated from wearing so much clothing they wouldn't guess you weren't wearing garments.

2. Your brain almost exploded from smiling politely through all the stupid s**t they were saying.

3. God was punishing you. (sorry, had to throw that in ;-)

Posted by: woodsmoke ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 09:16PM

LOL forever at #5.

Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 09:31PM

Yesterday and day before:
Dad: I've seen a dowsing rod work. It's about electricity running from the ground to the rod.
Mom: [power surge occurs while she's doing genealogy online] Satan's trying to stop me! (I told her that maybe God's just giving her a challenge.)

Other gems:
Dad: I'm not so naive to think that Jesus wouldn't visit the Americas.
Dad: It's crazy - they have evidence to show that mermaids may indeed be real!
Mom: I left the church, and came back.

Posted by: Spud ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 02:25PM

If you haven't seen a mermaid it is your fault-did you pay tithing on your gross or net? I plead with you, EarlyRM, to come back to the fold and know of unicorns, mermaids and Cain the sasquatch and to truly know happiness.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 09:45PM

my husband has in-laws like that. ;-)

Posted by: ananke ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 09:48PM

My aunt took one of those Holy Land cruises with some BYU "expert." As she was showing me the pictures, she kept telling me all of these outrageously specific and unsupportable stories about Jesus, as though she had seen him there. The best part was when she kept telling me that he was persecuted as a child because he was blond. My nevermo husband was speechless.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:02PM

Blonde? That would have been difficult to keep a straight face.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 01:23AM

My wife was doing scripture stuff with the Ida giving her commentary about what the world accepts. She follows up with questions like, "does the world say it is ok to lie?" Kids say yes. Then does the world say it is ok to steal, cheat, and commit adultery? Kids say yes. Then does the world say it is ok to murder? Kids say yes.

I have not gotten around to calling her on her bullshiz and explaining the Danites yet.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 02:54PM

Yes.

And the world lets us know their acceptance of those things by throwing you in jail if you do them. The church is true.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:21PM

My TBM parental units are visiting me in Florida. I take them to a former plantation that is just a state park with a bunch of cool gardens. Near the entrance of the park/gardens, there is a time capsule buried under the sidewalk. There's a plaque that says that the time capsule will be opened in 2035. My dad stops, reads the plaque, ponders for a second and then said,

"Well, I'm pretty sure the Second Coming is going to happen before that!"

At first, I thought he was joking and almost laughed out loud. I glanced over at him, saw how serious he was, and stifled it. I still laugh about that now and then. When they do open that thing, I plan to send him the newspaper article about it. ;>)

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 02:16PM

"Your relative who hears voices is NOT schizophrenic... she is being tormented by Satan."

Seriously.

Posted by: charles, not logged in ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 02:45PM

1. TBM guest turning to my TBM host who had just introduced me and pointing: "Is he a member?"

2. TBM waxing sentimental: "I almost lost my house because I had nothing to pay the mortgage for 2 months. So I call up (no-MO sister) and she helped me...blah blah blah..."
(1 minute later, and with no credit given to no-MO sister who helped)
TBM: "I got a client last week."
Me: "Good for you."
TBM: "That's the blessing of tithing!"
Me: (noting the contradiction and rolling eyes inwardly)

3. TBM relative upon learning of my apostasy:"You have to attend church again, the Second Coming is very near!"

4. TBM friend upon learning of my apostasy:"Oh my! That's because you think too much!"

Posted by: Brainfrees ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 02:46PM

Before I leave after visiting for the 4th.

Mil: did you see my new picture over the mantle?
Bf: no, err, which one
Mil: the one that says no EMPTY chairs?
Bf: ok
Mil: (restates the painted board while wagging a finger) no empty chairs.
Bf: (bites tongue and hugs mil goodbye)

This is the new "family motto"

Posted by: ironmann ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 03:03PM

Gosh, gee-whillickers, the adversary doesn't like Mitt Romney, dontcha know....

Posted by: pathist ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 07:37PM

This was a conversation with my uncle rather than my in-laws, but I feel it applies. This was also when I was in my apologist phase.

We were having a discussion about the age of the Earth and I say: "I believe that the earth is a couple billion years old and that no one really understands what God's concept of time is. I mean, how else would you explain dinosaurs?"

My uncle replies: "Nope. The Earth is six thousand years old. I can show you a verse in the Bible that talks about a dinosaur sighting."

I left the conversation at that. I love my uncle, but knew that arguing wouldnt get me anywhere with him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2013 07:38PM by pathist.

Posted by: anon1234 ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 08:34PM

That has nothing to do with the 6000 years... Archbishop Usher did the math and came up with Oct 23rd, 4004 BC.

if you read the bible, then do the math, and see what you come up with.
Then repeat, and do it again... isn't that what JS did ;)

And I bet he gets a different number. Should not be hard, it was done in the 1600's

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 07:58PM

My TBM mom tries to act like a biblical scholar, & she absolutely believes that the Bible & BOM are 100% real. One night, there was something on TV having to do with the OT, & she was explaining stuff to my inactive dad, like she knew WTF she was taking about, when really it was a bunch of Morg cult bs. I nearly went into the living room & told my dad that if he had questions regarding the OT, he should email a local rabbi about them.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:15AM

My TBM sister has lots of faith and is still fighting breast cancer. Hey you priesthood guys, get with it. Heal her NOW. I dare ya!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.