Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pewsitter ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 06:58PM

Three (3) little boys (Elders) rang my doorbell today. I believe they were tracting and did not know I am EX-Mo. I asked them if they still believe their god lives on a planet near Kolob. Such deer eyes in head lights. The leader of the group told me their Church has NEVER taught that, they only teach about Jesus. He went on to tell me that I must have heard about Kolob from some Anti Mormon source. I told them their church used to teach it.

I asked them if they knew about JS sticking his head in his hat and reading a stone. More deer eyes in headlights. Told them they could read about it in the adult magazine (Ensign) on their official web site.

They had never heard about Mountain Meadows Massacre.

I told them they should learn the truth before they go around teaching made up stories to people. I told them a God does not need their church to make up lies and feeling good does not make something true.

Their leader was frustrated I did not want to hear their stories about Jesus and decided I was just trying to argue with them so he made them march away to my catholic neighbor. I could tell the Greenie in the group was having a hard time with the information he had just heard.

I wonder what will happen when they look on the internet and learn the truth TSCC has hidden from them.

I hope a new set rings my doorbell. I will only get better with practice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 07:05PM

They haven't read the PoGP apparently.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 07:05PM

They carry one around.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:30AM

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 07:06PM

They have not read the Book of Abraham in the PGP if they believe the "God lives near Kolob" idea is from anti-Mormons instead of their own scriptures.

Poor missionaries. The church is so cruel so send them out with so little knowledge and preparation.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 07:06PM

Missionaries are not taught deep doctrine. There lies tygers.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 07:13PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q6brMrFw0E

about half the comments are MORmONS denying that this is MORmON doctrine as presented in the video

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 07:17PM

and show them in the Pearl of Great Price where the teaching comes from. Seriously ...I can't believe these kids are that uninformed but instead were being dishonest. I know as a missionary I would twist things semantically in my mind to be able to say what I knew sounded less weird.

I get so tired of LDS dishonesty while the integrity and honesty of critics are questioned.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 07:17PM

OH MY GOSH. These kids never read the Pearl of Great Price:
Abraham -- it is about Kolob.

Here you go kids.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/abr/3?lang=eng

1 And I, Abraham, had the aUrim and Thummim, which the Lord my God had given unto me, in Ur of the Chaldees;

2 And I saw the astars, that they were very great, and that one of them was nearest unto the throne of God; and there were many great ones which were near unto it;

3 And the Lord said unto me: These are the governing ones; and the name of the great one is Kolob, because it is near unto me, for I am the Lord thy God: I have set this one to govern all those which belong to the same order as that upon which thou standest.

4 And the Lord said unto me, by the Urim and Thummim, that Kolob was after the manner of the Lord, according to its times and seasons in the revolutions thereof; that one revolution was a day unto the Lord, after his manner of reckoning, it being one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest. This is the reckoning of the Lord’s time, according to the reckoning of Kolob.

And that is just the beginning of the Fun Stuff!

PS: I just posted my Sunday School lesson on Kolob... a bit of parody... :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2013 07:23PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 09:10PM

It further explains why TSCC reduced the age for mishies - to be sure they would sell TSCC as Christian and about Jesus. When I was willing to really answer questions of investigators I got thrown out of the class.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 09:38PM

If you really want to elicit a "deer-caught-in-the-headlights" look from the Missionaries here's another great question to ask them...

"So Elders, according to your 8th Article of Faith can you tell me which parts of the Bible that you are carrying there are translated correctly?"

Works like a charm...Every. Single. Time!

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 10:18PM

I've noticed this a lot lately, the kids (including my peer group) are taught the milk version of the gospel because of all of the correlation. When someone mentions something that they weren't taught, they quickly jump to the defensive thinking that (1) it's an attack and (2) assert that the church has never taught that. A lot of them really do think that if they weren't taught it, it must not be true. They don't realize that they are taught a very censored and abbreviated version of the doctrine.

Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 10:34PM

I doubted it, but not enough to say it's not true.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 10:36PM

I feel sorry for these young kids who are being sent out. They don't know anything. The church is just throwing them to the wolves in the hope that they survive rather than having them fall away from the church before they turn 18. I bet a bunch of them are hearing the most shocking things ever. The church is panicking and not thinking.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 10:39PM

Sending kids at 18 is child abuse in my eyes.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 10:40PM

The independent LDS bookstore I went to as a young kid was called Kolob Books. No joke!

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 10:49PM

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 11:12PM

I remember when I was a teen, maybe about twenty years ago, we sang it neither me nor my piers knew what it meant except one stuck up TBM Molly Mo.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 10:59PM

In my experience, most mormons don't read their own scriptures. They may read the ones that are picked out for lessons, but that's about it.

I don't know anyone who has read completely through the D&C, and the Pearl of Great Price. They only pick through and read the assigned scriptures. Most have no idea what's taught in those books. Especially the 17 year olds that are months away from going on missions.

If you mention Kolob, they won't know what you're talking about. It's not something that's talked about in classes. In fact, i'm surprised the church hasn't done away with those scriptures. I guess their hoping nobody will read or notice them. It's the mormons who are really searching for truth and deeper knowledge that read the scriptures in detail, and then form questions about what they're reading that cause trouble for the church.

The church tends to lump these seekers of knowledge into a category they label as intellectuals. Apparently intellectuals are any mormons that ask questions the church doesn't want to answer. The boys in charge have worked overtime to keep membership in the dark. How dare anyone read all of the scriptures and then come up with questions. Questions that the church leadership does NOT want to address. They want to decide what people should or shouldn't question. If you start thinking for yourself, you will be in deep trouble. Being mormon means that you should remain stupid, or at least put on a good show of remaining stupid.

Some people make the mistake of thinking that it's their own particular ward that doesn't want to address the questions. That's not the case at all. You can go to several wards in diverse places and ask the same exact questions. You will be met with the same response. Stop digging for trouble. These are things you won't know until the next life. Never mind there are scriptures that give information in detail. They sound crazy because they are. If you question them, you'll be the one who the leaders point to as crazy. Not the scriptures themselves, or the so called author of the crazy scriptures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2013 11:04PM by Mia.

Posted by: ananke ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:30AM

and even believe they have. I imagine it's all too common to read by moving one's eyes over the page in a reading like movement, picking up a word here or there, but comprehending nothing.

Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:36AM

Posted by: smithscars ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:05AM

Too funny

Obviously if they haven't heard of kolob then they haven't heard of shinehah or kokubeam

Posted by: Truth Matters ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:25AM

Jebus wants me for a kokubeam?

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 08:03AM

Go to any ward now and look at the 16-17 year olds who are maybe starting to prepare for missions. They are completely clueless when it comes to the deeper doctrine stuff / historical issues with TSCC. These are kids that have grown up on milk in seminary & Sunday lessons - even more significantly watered down milk than I had 20-25 years ago. It's not their fault - they've simply been brainwashed on the glossy veneer stuff that you'd see on lds.org.

On my mission there were at least a good proportion of elders that would read stuff like Journal of Discourses, Teaching of Prophet JS, Farms, Nibley and Orson Pratt. I can't imagine very few nowadays having any interest in this, let alone even knowing about it or being allowed to look at it.

It's very sad really. They are so ill prepared to talk beyond the correlated party line that they're heads really must be spinning whenever they talk with an exmo. I served pre-Internet so investigators pretty much had to either trust or disbelieve us. Now most investigators will check stuff on Google. It's like setting little lambs free in a lion's den. Carnage will ensue.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 08:24AM

Mormon missionaries must be anti-intellectual dullards these days. There was nobody in my mission in the 1980s who didn't know about Kolob. That's right in the Book of Abraham, and it's mentioned about five times. Most of us had read Teachings of Joseph Smith and Discourses of Brigham Young too. In fact, it was frustrating to have to teach such watered-down discussions when most of us knew so much more, and our mission president was a doctrinarian who eagerly taught us whatever he knew. It's shocking if three out of three elders have not even read the Book of Abraham, and almost as shocking if they've been instructed to lie about it. I think my mission president would have recalled them to the mission home for further training.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.