Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:52AM

My sis is mid-fifties. Widowed two years. Working hard to support herself Getting her business off the ground.

Gospel Doctrine teacher twice a month.
Temple worker EVERY Saturday (1 hour drive each way)gets up at 5 AM gets home about six PM.)
Relief Society pianist.
Organist twice a month.
Visiting teacher.

She just got called to be in the choir for the temple groundbreaking ceremony.

AND..she just got asked to house the sister missionaries.(because of large influx)

LEAVE HER THE F ALONE!!

The happiest I've seen her in a while was last Saturday when the temple was closed...she had a free day. God, I wish she could see how she is being used.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 01:09AM

I know a single woman in that age group who has to support herself. And some people seem to think that if you have your own business that means you have free time. She's had people get miffed at her because she set some limits.

The sad thing is that your sis can't recognize she needs a break, or feels like she's required to work herself to death because GOD expects her to do it.

She's GOT to say no to something.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 11:53AM

Oh, you're home all day, you're not at work so you are available anytime during the day --> because apparently people who work 3rd shift don't need to sleep!!!!!

Some women would actully ask me how I do it (like they think there are people who don't need to sleep!) Crazy dumb cultests!

and you could just seem them doing your thinking for you, well OK then, we'll do this when it's convient for me, because you're available anytime. The elevators do not go to the top.

I however, did know how to say no and set boundaries, which they didn't like.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 05:52AM

Mormonism makes us think no is a bad word. It's actually one of the most liberating and positive words in the any language.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 06:59AM

When I was young and single, I was treated that way. It was like my personal time or money were expendable, and after all "didn't have anything else to do." Of course, I was TBM and went on to even do a mission. God, how I hate this church.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 07:00AM

Well, there's indexing to be done...reach out nights...letting the missionaries teach in your home...helping hands...Sacrament talks...she pays her tithing though, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2013 07:01AM by Stumbling.

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 09:45AM

They'll keep asking her until she says, no. And that will only stop them for that calling. Members are expected to give 10 % + of their money and 100% + of their time.

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 10:22AM

THAT ExACTLY what it is!!!

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 11:45AM

I have learned to keep my mouth shut about it.

If I suggest they are asking too much of her, she defends it as "making her happy", or it's really not that much.

But, she was absolutely upbeat the Saturday she didn't have to go to the temple. She had the time to paint her bathroom a color she loves, and then go out on the town with another (single non-lds ) lady.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.