Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Observer ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 11:40AM

Something I dislike about the church members is their idolatry for leaders. They either do it because they like it or per request. For instance, when members of the 12 or first presidency arrive to their seats prior to a conference meeting, everybody stands up and shuts up until the leader allows them to go back to whatever they were doing.
It is my impression that both leaders and members enjoy this and even local leaders like bishops and stake presidents enjoy some idolatry here and there.

Maybe it is that I don't like pride but any kind of over admiration, reverence or awe towards other person doesn't go with me, as I have never required, demanded or wanted that kind of reaction from anyone (not even my children) and I don't think anyone should expect to receive it or give it.
I know in our society that kind of affection (or whatever it is) tends to be common towards the military, the police or government leaders... well, there is a lot of fanfare when someone dies in combat or when a police man gets killed. In both cases, it was possible that would happen in such career, career that actually they choose, so how does dying doing your job (a job that you know you can be killed on and that you chose) makes you a hero?. In no way I am demeaning the loss of any human being, just trying to explain myself here.

I think that no one should give or receive idolatry. In fact, it is one of the things I don't agree with the concept of God. If I was the creator or father of my creations I wouldn't expect them to adore, revere, admire or else. I don't even expect a "thank you" for the things I do, and in fact, I only thank others when I really feel like doing it.
To revere in such way the leaders of the church it makes them feel special and more important than they should be.

Because of this, it is the fault of many members that those leaders think they can do or say whatever they want and that they believe they are so special.
It is the members fault that their leaders have ZERO humility.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:26PM

Standing when a GA walks in the room is one of those "little" things that drove me crazy. The fawning was especially bad at the MTC. ETB spoke to us there while president and the cult atmosphere really made me scratch my head in bewilderment.

Posted by: fakemoroni ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:36PM

If a Military man dies in duty to his country, he DID choose that career, but he chose to die to protect you, his country, his family. He didn't choose his job to become rich with a random chance of being killed. And showing him/her honor is hardly idolatry. It's pretty basic respect.

Same for policmen/firemen/first responders who are killed in the line of duty. It is a selfless act for their fellow man.

A little respect and acknowledgement isn't too much to ask, and hardly rises to the level of reverence and idolatry.

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:56PM

I remember everyone in the Marriot Center at BYU standing up when Hinckley entered to give a talk. I would like to say now I regret doing that with everyone else there, and that Hinckley was not a man of high moral character and was not worth standing up for. Maybe a group of soldiers or other people who risked their lives for others would be worth that honor, but not Hinckley. I don't think Hinckley deserved a building named after him at BYU, either. It was narcissistic of him to build a building for himself on the University campus of a corporation that he was the de facto CEO of, and definitely inappropriate for a religious leader to encourage his own praise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2013 12:59PM by raiku.

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 03:16PM

I've seen an air of entitlement among military people. I work with them daily and hear whining all the time about their benefits and such. None of these people ever heard a gunshot or left the US of A, but they sure as hell feel entitled. The ones who die in battle or are wounded, yea, they deserve a big thank you and we need to be there for their loved ones. The desk warriors, which most of them are, are just civil servants who wear a uniform.

GAs don't deserve jack crap. They are just old entitled white guys with a superiority complex. They are nothing special. Alot of them are wearing adult diapers and are senile. I pity them for that. But that's as far as my "worship" goes.

Posted by: burnned ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 03:24PM

They are lucky I'm not throwing stones!

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 04:39PM

On the bright side, the Dukes of Deseret have probably not had any fun in the last 50 years

Posted by: woodsmoke ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 04:46PM

I totally agree with this--the idea that HF would create us basically just to worship Him forever and ever through all eternity makes me think that that "God" is a total asshole. I'm surprised more people don't feel that way. God is the most benevolent, completely selfless, pure being in the universe, and He wants us to be "as little children" in our faith and humility, and turn the other cheek--but He created a bunch of beings who have to go through starvation, mental and physical illness, divorce, depression, loss, poverty, and discrimination every day just so we can turn around and worship Him forever? Insane.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.