Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 01:13PM

I have six grandchildren who won't be going on missions. We are also encouraging them to become independent adults before they marry and have children. My little family of just two daughters will have an impact on future member numbers.

How many missionaries can your family keep out of the field?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tmac ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 01:51PM

Four. My two young boys will not be Mormon missionaries, and my husband and I will never be senior missionaries.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 02:44PM

I'm going to take a trip next year to the country where I served as a missionary. I'm going for some hiking, kayaking and surfing but I am also going to do some penance. I'm designing a flyer that has my picture when I was 20 and an apology for bothering people late at night, while they were sleeping or having dinner with their families, and include a list of ten reasons why the Mormon Church is a fraud with internet links they can use to look up information if the Missionaries come calling. I plan to do this in the three cities where we actually managed to baptize anyone.

Date: July 11, 2013 10:33PM

I bet you'll have much more fun this time around.

Posted by: saintdorothymantooth ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 02:44PM

So far, 1 son who will NOT be raised in the church or sent on a mission. 2 more if you count DH and I never serving! In fact, he came home after 1 day in the MTC and never went back.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 03:02PM

I'm at the missionary age and I don't have kids yet (and I wouldn't want them going), but I can definitely account for 1 less missionary being sent out there -- myself. Thank goodness for that.

Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 03:08PM

Basically, you got a perfect A++, and I got a B. Although I could be doing more with my time right now, unemployment is better than serving the cult.

Date: July 11, 2013 06:38PM

Hey, a high-five and an A++ to you too! You're out now and that's what matters. And best of luck in finding some employment. I hope it works out well for you :)

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 08:39PM

what work would you like to do, and would you consider relocating? A few friends near Austin and phoenix have said that they can't keep up with the demand for air conditioning service and have been begging everyone for some guys who don't mind learning and working and moving to the area. They usually start off hourly at $14-22/hr, and there's a heck of a lot of overtime possibility there. I'm just saying, if you're looking for a fresh start and a pretty low-responsibility job with great pay, you could consider it. I especially recommend Arizona because: a) I live here and that automatically makes it exponentially more awesome than anywhere else. b) no matter what point you are at in your life, it is incredibly easy to make a fresh start here. Help, we've been married forever and have a bunch of kids and just decided to scrap it and start all over again. A whole two weeks later, and we're on the move again, changing everything except the family structure. This is a wonderful place to transition or to to settle, if you don't mind a ton of exmos who hate Utah...and a ton of TBMs who think its great...and a ton of Mexicans who dgaf.

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 08:42PM

7 and counting...

Date: July 11, 2013 09:04PM

Basically, i just need to find something to do for another month and a half. It's been 4 months already, I think I can wait the rest out if I have to.

Date: July 11, 2013 03:03PM

....ANTI-MORMONS!!!! (Imagining a superhero with Mormon crossed out on his chest)

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 03:13PM

I saved myself from going on a mission, so 1.

(I don't have any kids, for those that don't know.)

Date: July 11, 2013 06:47PM

For anyone with 1 missionary not sent:

Start with 1 missionary and you'll end up with a gaggle of converts eventually. Start with 0, and you'll finish with nothing.
I've read in so many places about how the difference between 1, 2, 3, etc pales in comparison to that between 0 and 1. Multiply 0 as many times as you like -- it's still 0.

It's a huge leap, so congratulations :)

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 04:11PM

Myself, my husband, my two kids, and any grandchildren I may have in the future.

Not only will we not be going on missions, but we also won't be giving money to those old buzzards in Utah.

Posted by: amiwhiteyet ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 04:18PM

3 boys. My oldest son is going off to college at Texas A&M in the fall. My next son is a senior and has made it clear despite the admonitions of his great-grandmother that he has no intent of going on a mission and plans to go to college as well. My youngest son is 15 and a professed atheist so there's not a chance in hell he'll go either. My parents have 36 grandkids nearly half of which are adults. Thus far, not a single grandchild has gone on a mission which secretly makes me quite happy.

Posted by: HopiBon! ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 04:25PM

There's no chance my two boys will go. They will also not marry a Mormon girl so I've cleared the slate. My family are converts, and with all of my siblings out of the church, it looks like they lost my family within a generation.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 04:47PM

Only one missionary. My brother who is disabled went on a mission and he went from a very confident, well adjusted person to a complete mess. He wast treated so horribly by the other missionaries--he's never been the same.

My other 2 brothers are inactives from teenage years.

My sister's 2 sons went inactive as teens--have 3 boys between them. None of them are mormons.

My other siblings' sons are also not mormon (3 in number).

My son is 27--he obviously didn't go.

My dad didn't go as it was. Neither did any of his BILs or his brother. There were SO FEW who went in his family.

My mother's siblings--all their sons went. One was sent home and excommunicated. Two are no longer mormon. One is converted Jew.

Not many missionaries in my family or extended family.

My daughter is the only TBM of all the grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 04:56PM

2 hubby and I wanted to go as senior missionaries but this is not going to happen anymore.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 04:56PM

I'm hoping five. Four sons and one daughter.

Already my two oldest sons are out! They passed missionary age this past year and have zero desire to be mormon. I'm very confident that at least one more son (12 now) is out -- never got baptized against the wishes of everyone else but me. Another son still isn't baptized, but he's 9, and he could go back to it. The daughter, she's more prone to obedience and guilting, so we shall see. But she's now a teenager and could begin the rebellion.

Posted by: pewsitter ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 04:58PM

10 so far and more as they are born. What STUPID UNINSPIRED LEADERS TSCC has. It would have been so easy to keep us tricked and paying.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:04PM

10!? I hope these are grandkids... haha

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:09PM

My three boys didn't go, nor will my 3 grandsons nor my 5 granddaughters. My daughter didn't go and will not marry a mormon so no worries there. My youngest son isn't married so who knows how many kids he will have and all will be raised OUT of the morg. I'm doing my share to populate Happy Valley with non-mormons.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:14PM

So far, just 1: me.

Converted to the Morg when I was a freshman in college - after my first year in the church, the constant pressure started. I left shortly after. SOOOOOO happy I didn't waste two years in the service of the Morg.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 06:50PM

Two - a son and a daughter. I know my daughter would want to go under other circumstances because she always thought teenage marriage was dumb, wanted a degree and because her favorite cousin is serving.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 07:38PM

I spilled the beans to my dad that my mom really wanted to serve a senior mission and he said, "Pff, oh I don't think so...". So while she may have planned to talk him into it, I let the cat out of the bag. He has to live with her, but they have separate bedrooms now, so I don't think she has any leverage on him. :)

If I can in any way talk my niece and nephews out of it I will, but their parents are turbo TBM, so that seems kind of doubtful. I will be offering them free room and board if they decide not to go at any point. Although sometimes knowing there is a place to land safely makes unbearable situations more bearable, just to know you can go at any time, rather than marinating in the frustration of "no options!" until you explode in frustration. I'll be planting tiny seeds where I can.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 07:44PM

My son is a nevermo and lifelong atheist, so obviously he won't serving a mission for the Mormon church or any other religion. After my own mission experience, I would not have sent any son or daughter of mine on a mission anyway.

Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 08:24PM

My two sons, my husband and myself...and future generations!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 08:40PM

So far that's about 70-80 missionaries that won't be missionaries. That's a lot! Not to mention the children that aren't born yet that won't be missionaries.

That could add up to thousands of converts in the future that will never be converts.

Date: July 11, 2013 10:37PM

As Mia said, those are some nice numbers from just 24 people.

Posted by: Nomo8 ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 08:54PM

My 3 boys will never go! And we'll never serve a senior mission. So add 5 more to the party:)

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 08:59PM

My own two children and the children of those friends who left after us:

3 more,
another 2,
1 more, and
2 more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.