Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 06:21PM

Has there ever been a more vapid phrase created from words in the English language? Don’t TBMs see the irony in proving their lack of humility by declaring their humility?

And think about if you use “I say these things humbly” in a prayer, and you truly believe that you are speaking to deity. Either you’re truly humble or you’re not. I you ARE truly humble, I doubt you need to point that out to the Lord. If you’re NOT truly humble….well, maybe you’re better off not bringing up the subject.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: crom ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 07:30PM

Elect. As in better than others, not democracy.

Valiant. Showed up.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 07:40PM

Very rarely is it humble at all.

Date: July 11, 2013 08:06PM

My humility is what I'm most proud of.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 07:47PM

there is no problem or contradiction whatsoever in affirming such sentiment.

I can state this, having achieved highest honors at the Institute of Higher Humility, where I received the "Master of Humility" degree.

;-/

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 07:57PM

Equally vapid:

- I know the church is true (What does that even mean???)

- With every fiber of my being

- "We come before thee" (Where else can we be?)

- "Even" (As in "We close in the name of our savior, even Jesus Christ...")

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 08:14PM

I find that use of "even" to be odd.

Posted by: GenY ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 09:21PM

I noticed my Dad began using "even" in his prayers about 10 or so years ago. His prayers also became more GA like with that special lilt and language that is usually reserved for the higher ups. It still bugs me. What bugs me more is that he asks me to bless the food at times when the fam gets together when he knows I don't give a lick about the church or religion in general. I think he's just imitating those he sees as spiritual giants. His prayers were essentially the same each time too, I could mouth exactly what he was going to say each time.

Posted by: MelzWhimzy ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 09:25PM

GenY posted "His prayers also became more GA like with that special lilt and language that is usually reserved for the higher ups."

Yep! That's the voice!

My dad doesn't ask me to pray ... which is good because I'd probably say something along the lines of "Rub-a-dub dub, Thanks for the grub!"

Date: July 11, 2013 10:02PM

One Thanksgiving my Dad started to do a holier than though prayer. Mom suddenly cut in and gave a truncated prayer at lightening speed. Everyone yelled "Amen" and started laughing. From then on it was always, "Mom says it, we want Mom." Never let Dad give another prayer.

Date: July 11, 2013 09:48PM

I think the use of "even" is a King James linguistic relic, and is used as an intensifier. I use the KJV fairly often, and haven't paid close attention to it. (I guess I will now). A quick search of "even + Lord" shows both (1) grammatical use,

"...the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as we do toward you" (I Thessalonians 3.12).

...and also as (2) an intensifyer or signifier,

"And (Ananias) putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee..." (Acts 19.17b).

JS mimicked the King James style with BoM. It follows that his followers do, too. I majored in English, and regard this as highly affectatious. This is annoying, but if the "thee's" and "thou's" start coming, then the Mormon is in really deep.

Date: July 11, 2013 08:53PM

Also when people end testimonies, lessons, and talks with "in the name of thy son, Jesus Christ, Amen." I don't know if it's habit or if no one ever taught them to only say "thy son" in prayers, but so annoying.

Posted by: MelzWhimzy ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 08:56PM

My dad goes one word further ...

"in the name of thy son, Jesus The Christ, Amen."

always in this mock humble voice that he only uses while praying or signing off on talks. This has always annoyed me but more so since I've resigned.

Date: July 11, 2013 08:51PM

One Sacrament meeting a couple of years ago (I can't even remember what the theme was, journaling maybe?), a lady talked about how she is a descendant of Martin Harris the entire time. This was a huge source of pride for her and her entire talk was about how much value and worth she has because her ancestor played such a crucial role in bringing about the restored gospel. Not an ounce of humility in there at all.

Date: July 11, 2013 09:56PM

rainwriter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
... a lady talked about how she is a
> descendant of Martin Harris the entire time. This
> was a huge source of pride for her and her entire
> talk was about how much value and worth she has
> because her ancestor played such a crucial role...

The horse thieves, train robbers and claim jumpers of 150 years ago often become the revered pioneer forebears of the current generation.

When I was young, I was proud that I was descended from a Mayflower Pilgrim. There were a few wrinkles in the record as it was explained, but I didn't confront them. In Middle Age, I figured that what counts in America, of all places, is not where you come from, but what you are doing with your life, and and where you are going (spiritually, especially). In my mature years, I learned that the geneologist who produced such an august ancestry was known for giving people great pedigrees. Did my ancesters come in First Class or Steerage? Don't know, couldn't care less.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.