Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 12, 2013 09:43PM

At the risk of being flamed by all my RFM friends in Texas, I never could understand Texas laws ...

Tampons and maxi pads were confiscated earlier today by the Texas Department of Public Safety ahead of a debate and vote on a controversial abortion bill in the Texas Capitol.

Apparently, these personal items can be used as projectiles and can potentially harm the senators/government representatives.

However, guns are allowed in the Capitol and are not being confiscated.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/12/tampons-confiscated-texas_n_3588177.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/12/tampons-confiscated-texas_n_3588177.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2013 09:44PM by Senoritalamanita.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 12, 2013 10:07PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: July 12, 2013 10:08PM

Ok, first thing we need to do is get rid of all the Texas men except for Timothy.

Date: July 12, 2013 10:09PM

You mean all the Texas men on RFM??

Oh bloody hell! LOL!

Date: July 12, 2013 10:15PM

NO! All the Texas men in Texas who are trying to control women's reproductive rights.

(if I say the "R" word, this thread gets pulled)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2013 10:20PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 12, 2013 10:30PM

I say throw Texas out of the Union. I mean, do they really want to be part of us anyway?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 12, 2013 10:34PM

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I say throw Texas out of the Union. I mean, do
> they really want to be part of us anyway?

I heard a thought on this very idea. Per the quote, Texans want to secede- but they don't want anybody else to want them to.

Date: July 12, 2013 10:17PM

Men have always been afraid of women. That's why they took charge, so we wouldn't have power over them and make all their fears come true. (I'm thinking castration)

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 12, 2013 10:28PM

wine country girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Men have always been afraid of women. That's why
> they took charge, so we wouldn't have power over
> them and make all their fears come true. (I'm
> thinking castration)

Women only let men think we are in charge. ;o))

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 12, 2013 10:31PM

Saturday Night Live is going to have a good time with that one.

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: July 12, 2013 10:34PM

A friend of mine and her daughter are in the Senate room now and have been all day twittering and blogging on FB. She reports they are hungry, cold and tired but wouldn't give up being there for anything. They can hear the chanting going on in the rotunda which gives them energy to continue.

As a side note, diabetic supplies were also collected while those with guns and permits were allowed in.

Those of us who are progressive and live in Texas are just a little bit crazy. Maybe that's why we love Texas, because that's part of the culture. We're all crazy in our own way.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 01:02AM

But I always hear Austin is nice, you know, the liberal/intellectual part of Texas.

Maybe not when the legislature is in session.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2013 01:05AM by crom.

Date: July 12, 2013 10:35PM

I hate to be the one to point this out, but to me.... THIS is an act of war - against women! SISTERS, ARE YOU WITH ME????

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 01:03AM

Hear hear.

Date: July 12, 2013 10:37PM

Matt, you are a brave man indeed!

Date: July 12, 2013 10:40PM

So let me get this straight.

It's okay for women to bleed all over their pantsuits and diabetics to go into a coma. Just don't take away the holsters and the cowboy hats.

Once again I say, "Oh bloooody hell!"

Rachel1 -- kudos to your friends for being part of the process!

Posted by: hard6 ( )
Date: July 12, 2013 11:04PM

Well, you know they had to snatch those up before there was blood in the aisles. Their entire evening was hanging by a thread...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2013 11:04PM by hard6.

Date: July 12, 2013 11:06PM

Bwaaahaahaahaaa!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 12, 2013 11:09PM

They should blast this song:

Blood in the Boardroom by Ani DiFranco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-1sm3iGBsw

Date: July 12, 2013 11:21PM

If Men Could Menstruate by Gloria Steinem

What would happen, for instance, if suddenly, magically, men could menstruate and women could not?

The answer is clear - menstruation would become an enviable, boast-worthy, masculine event:

Men would brag about how long and how much.

Boys would mark the onset of menses, that longed-for proof of manhood, with religious ritual and stag parties.

Congress would fund a National Institute of Dysmenorrhea to help stamp out monthly discomforts.

Sanitary supplies would be federally funded and free. (Of course, some men would still pay for the prestige of commercial brands such as John Wayne Tampons, Muhammad Ali's Rope-a-dope Pads, Joe Namath Jock Shields - "For Those Light Bachelor Days," and Robert "Baretta" Blake Maxi-Pads.)

[This is only part of her essay on "If men could menstruate".]

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 12:49AM

I had been watching the live feed from the Texas State Senate but I had to quit watching. I am finished with church for this lifetime.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 01:01AM

But my sources say this is a lie -- no security officers claimed to have seen anything of the sort.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 01:40AM

I live in Texas, and the confiscation of urine and feces in some sort of containers was mentioned on our local nightly news.

Date: July 13, 2013 01:42AM

Sorry, posted in the wrong place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2013 01:42AM by truthseeker.

Date: July 13, 2013 01:42AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2013 01:43AM by truthseeker.

Date: July 13, 2013 01:12AM

Here's another tweet:

"shit the church, not the state!"

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 01:13AM

But I don't get it. Why on Earth would they do that?

Date: July 13, 2013 01:18AM

Misogynists will melt into a puddle of goo if a female menstruation product touches them. ;)

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 02:11AM

Menstruation is a typical one.

I highly recommend reading "The Curse: Confronting the Last Unmentionable Taboo."

Posted by: canadian beaver ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 01:15AM

Senoritalamanita, you're obviously not familiar with just how deadly a tampon can be. Please see the following 'very scary' information. Tampon Shooter Blowgun - everygirl's (and some boy's) most favourite weapon of mass destruction (available in various absorbancies) - http://www.tamponcrafts.com/gun.html

Date: July 13, 2013 10:30AM

Canadian Beaver (I hope no pun was intended)

Dear Beaver,

It is still early here and I have one eye open with coffee cup in hand. I want you to know that you owe me a new keyboard and screen. Having clicked on your "tamponcrafts" link, I immediately sprayed coffee all over my computer hardware.

You have opened my eyes about the Tampon Shooter Blowgun. Truly. Now I see how devastating it would be for a senator to be felled by such an insidious weapon, especially one that has been craftily dipped into Red Dye No. 3, as displayed in their photo. Talk about bio-hazards, Yukk!

On the same website, I noticed the lovely tampon angels. What a great craft project that would be in Relief Society at Christmas. That would be so adorable on a Christmas tree! I'm thinking that a dab of glue and some ric-rak on the tampon-skirt hem would be the final touch.

And to think, it already comes with its own string, so that hanging the nifty xmas decoration is made so much easier.

It would make a great present to one's home teachers or even to the Bishop!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2013 10:31AM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 10:33AM

Don't you know that vaginas are terrifying?

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 11:34AM

I'm not saying these guys are gay because gay guys usually have good senses of humor about vaginas.

So, they're not really straight. And they're not gay.

I think they are crab people. The Texas "people in charge" are giant crab monsters pretending to be people.

There. Secret's out.

Date: July 13, 2013 11:38AM

Darkinati?

Australopithecines?

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 11:51AM

But not if the best they can come up with is - "No tampons for women!"

That's a pretty shitty plot.

Although, if these "So called representatives" are real people, they are most likely a bunch of older white men who need to go to a support group to cope with the "trauma" of having to go down "aisle 8 that one time for my wife."

I can see them sitting in a circle gently weeping in their white shirts and ties.

"The cashier looked right into my eyes when she scanned the tampons."

*sob sob

"I told her they weren't for me. They were for my wife."

*sob

"But she just looked at me with those accusing eyes."

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 11:48AM

Crap you may be right.

Or pod people..

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 10:43AM

IMO: this thread was started as an off-topic one. I see it as absolutely on-topic, as the very same sentiments are what drive the Utah legislature and the leadership of the LDS church. Both those groups (and aren't they actually parts of the same group?) see the subjugaton of women as their primary calling from God.

Date: July 13, 2013 10:45AM

Yes fidget, they are terrifying.

Perhaps the senators in Texas suffer from Eurotophobia - The fear of female, sexual genitalia.

Vaginas are nice, they wont bite (Vagina Dentata), or will they?

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/30332998/ns/health-sexual_health/t/vaginas-teeth-other-sexual-myths/

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 11:01AM

Wow, this is crazy stuff. I have never been to Texas but if I go, it will be to Austin and nowhere else.

I can attest to the insulting squirminess women's cycles incites in too many men. A former colleague's boyfriend refused to pick up a box of tampons for her out of embarrassment. That relationship did not last. In my mid twenties, before changing careers, I used to work in an office run by a misogynist. When I needed to visit the restroom to change a tampon, I'd just grab one out of my purse and take it to the rest room with me. The "boss" saw it a few times and requested that I be a little more "discreet" as several other employees had complained to him. He didn't identify the complainers, of course. Ew! Ick! A never used tampon in its unopened wrapper. Gross!! (facepalm, plus gnashing of teeth)

Slight threadjack to promote something that is actually useful to us women in caring for our bodies - and that I believe is far healthier for both us and the environment:

http://divacup.com/about-us/whydiva/

I've used one for the past 4 years and can't imagine ever going back to the chemical concoctions piling up in landfills everywhere.

Wearing a menstrual cup instead of using tampons and pads is the very definition of freedom. I wish I'd known about such things long ago. Of course, I think a woman invented it ;-)

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 11:02AM

They also confiscated bottles of urine and fecal matter according to other sources. Typically, whenever you have a highly controversial subject like this, you always have people who bring things to fling. While the Texas legislator is often full of crap, Texas cops actually do a fair job. They're probably only confiscating people who are bringing a plethora of them, as opposed to one or two for personal use. Probably. If I am wrong, then I will join you in condemning this.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 12:10PM

... I prefer Marshmallows; while they don't impact a target with the same force, they can be eaten, even if they hit the floor First (three-second rule).

I lament the falling from grace of pea-shooters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2013 12:11PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Date: July 13, 2013 12:20PM

I cannot speak for all the other ladies here, only for myself. Because this is not a political forum, I can only use humor and irony to obliquely point to the real elephant in the room. To have such personal items such as tampons and maxi pads confiscated is degrading and violating. It is symbolic of the frustration and rage many women feel at having their reproductive rights swept away from them like yesterday's garbage.

As ex-Mormon women, this brings up the same indignity and powerlessness we felt when the Bishop violated our sense of privacy, interrogated us about masturbation, asked details about the marriage bed, or put pressure on us to reproduce like bunnies.

I understand that the Texas cops are concerned about violence and I don't condone flinging things at people, or hurting elected officials. But I find it so ironic that metal projectiles are allowed in the form of bullets [a more masculine symbol of power], but cotton projectiles [female in nature] are not.

Taking tampons and maxi-pads away is highly personal. If you are a menstruating women, or someone who has recently given birth, than naturally you must have these items at hand to protect your clothing, to satisfy your need for cleanliness, and to eliminate potential social humiliation.

Were tampons and maxi pads confiscated previously in the capitol building over issues unrelated to reproductive rights? To me, this seems like a staged assault, meant to humiliate and degrade women.

When they were debating and voting about gun legislation, did they make the ladies empty their purses and cough up their Playtex projectiles?

Are the women legislators required to cough up their sanitary napkins? Hell no! They are probably sitting high and mighty on their maxi-pads now, safe and secure in their knowledge that their $2500 silk skirt will remain unstained. Safe and secure in their knowledge that they will not be pummeled by cotton projectiles.

And they must feel so darn protected, knowing that if any unruly demonstrator gets out of hand and removes his or her dentures from their mouth and flings it toward the lawmakers, that some do-gooder citizen with a gun will protect them by blasting the mother-fucking demonstrator away!

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 12:25PM

So they were afraid that women in the gallery would throw tampons at the Texas Senators?

Now that their tampons have been confiscated, the women can throw their loaded guns at the senators -- guns being allowed and all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.