Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 01:10PM

What is it with mormons and temples? Where does the idea of temple worship come from? The book of mormon? Nope, temples are not mentioned there. The New Testament? Nope, Jesus' sacrifice ended temple worship. The old testament? Only if you want to get your ass kicked for building multiple temples that were not in god's chosen town of Jerusalem. Thomas Monson wouldn't be bragging about the number of new temples being built if he knew that the god of the old testament was watching.

And why must baptisms be done for every single person who ever lived? Surely 99.5% of them are going to reject the gospel anyway? Why not get baptised for the dead AFTER they accept the gospel? Did Jesus die on the cross over and over for every single person, even the ones who weren't going to repent? I know Jesus had a lot to bear already, but since he was getting baptised anyway, why not make it count for everyone?

When I am worried that I might forget something, I always write it down on my underwear... NOT! Why not give everyone a written copy of the temple covenants that they can refer to when needed, preferably BEFORE they agree to give the church EVERYTHING so that they have time to consider the implications first?

How does one decide whether to call temple worship sacred or secret? The handshakes are SECRET otherwise there would be no point to them. Sacred things can be spoken about, at least with others of the same faith who already know about it. Secret isn't a very good word for it since I am writing about it without ever having been to a temple. I think embarrassingly stupid is a better description for temple worship than either sacred or secret.

How far can one stretch the "milk before meat" principle? Some people die of old age while still on milk! But don't worry, if you don't understand the spiritual significance of the temple in this life, then at some point during ETERNITY you will finally get it!

But who wouldn't want to go to the temple and be sealed to their family for all of eternity? Duh, people who have family members that they don't like! But no person who doesn't love their family could possibly be worthy of going to heaven, even if they have suffered at the hands of those who should have loved them and have still been good, Christ like people. What counts at the gates of mormon heaven is knowing secret handshakes and being sealed to lots of family, and having as many wives as the laws of the land don't arrest you for.

Most brides these days don't like to know what is going to happen at their wedding. What they are going to wear, what the celebrant is going to say, what the venue looks like from the inside and who is going to be there are minor details that most brides take no interest in. NOT!!! TSCC knows NOTHING about throwing a good wedding! I know that there hasn't been much of a need for temples since animal sacrifice stopped, but having weddings at temples is NOT the solution.

Unlike many doctrinal questions, temple ceremonies are scientifically untouchable. The preface to the book of mormon has been changed drastically in the face of modern scientific discoveries, and it will continue to change. So why do eternal temple ceremonies that are pleasing to an unchanging god need to be changed so often? Surely if they were good enough for god 100 years ago then they are good enough now.

If it wasn't for Joseph Smith and his last minute plagiarism of Masonic rituals, temples would be nothing more than ancient ruins and I would have something better to rant about. In hindsight, temple worship is ridiculous and the secrecy surrounding temple worship is the only way to stop people from leaving the church as soon as they hear about it. Either that or find a way to provide an ACTUAL spiritual experience at the temple.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 01:19PM

I love this! I'd like to use it, giving you credit, even if anonymously. Can you drop me an email? Twoojedis at gmail. The two oo's are on purpose.

Date: July 13, 2013 03:51PM

Twojedis, I am not a mormon any more... I don't need to be given credit when doing something for no money ;)

Date: July 13, 2013 04:09PM

I'm not Mormon any more either, but I write and get the word out. I'd like to use what you've written, but I don't want to take the credit for something I didn't write. You have very eloquently written about one of the subjects I am passionate about. If I have your permission to use it, I can simply credit greenpotato from exmormon.org, or I can use your initials, or your name. I don't make any money doing it either, that's not why I write.

Date: July 13, 2013 04:55PM

Twojedis, you have my permission to use my post. Crediting greenpotato is fine.

Posted by: Cali Sallly ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 05:07PM

I'm with twojedis! You hit all my buttons on this topic. Ever since I learned that "temples of old" were never used for anything that Mormon temples are used for I felt like a shmuck for thinking they were so special. There was only one temple in Jerusalem and it was used for animal sacrifice, teaching of doctrine to men only, and housing sacred texts (as the Ark of the Covenant was the whole purpose). Mormon temples have nothing to do with any of this and as far as I know Mormons never even teach their original purpose to members. I think temples have more to do with transfering church money into real estate deals under the table because there really is no need for them. Since so few people are now attending temples I cannot imagine any other reason for continuing to build them and building them SO LARGE in places not needed.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 07:16PM

I agree with the other posters. This is so well written. Thank you for a great post.

Date: July 13, 2013 11:36PM

You can google Pink Hedgehog Mormon to find the post in a couple of days. Thanks for your words!

Posted by: mobegone ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 04:11PM

There is a big masonic temple near where I live. Don't try telling me the Mormons didn't mimic masonry. The symbols, windows, etc - very similar.

Anyway you raise a good point. If the BOM is the most true book on earth you'd think it would mention temple work. Plus I've had a pretty hard time imagining NT Jesus putting on a bakers hat and playing rock-paper-scissors in the temple.

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 04:52PM

THINK ABOUT THE PARABLES & TEACHINGS OF Jesus. Now think about the endowment. NO COMPARISON!!One is about living a letter of the law existance with the threat of satans p ower punishing you at failure! Jesus taught Love,Forgiveness tolerance and knowing that god loved us. I SEE NO SIMILARITIES! The 1st time I went though "That Place" I kept thinking this is of God. God wouldnt ask us to do this(slit our throats)! Jesus broke lots of rules in his life time. Im sure he didnt want us living like robots!

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 05:16PM

Although greenpotato correctly states the present general Christian doctrine that Christ's sacrifice ended temple worship, that doctrine seems to have been unknown to the earliest followers of Jesus, since Acts 2:46 reports that after they were baptized they "continu[ed] daily with one accord in the temple..."

And the Book of Mormon does mention temples numerous times. Nephi builds a temple (2 Nephi 5:16), Jacob teaches in the temple (Jacob 1:17); God commands Jacob to teach in the temple (Jacob 2:2, 11); Benjamin gathers the people in the temple (Mosiah 1:18); writing appears on wall of temple, written by the finger of God, which Aminadi interprets (Alma 10:2); Alma and Amulek preach in the temple (Alma 16:13); Christ appears at the temple (3 Nephi 11:1).

Greenpotato would be correct in saying that the Book of Mormon contains no mention of the secret features of the present-day endowment, of proxy baptism, or of sealings for eternity.

Date: July 13, 2013 05:54PM

I stand corrected :(

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 06:06PM

I think green potato hits it right on the head. I believe that most card carrying TBMs don't even enjoy going to the temple. Its a huge time commitment, plus its boring & repetitive. Members don't derive any benefits from going, other than proving to others that they meet the standards. Before I left, there were always lessons on Why we should go to the temple. There were reminders and admonitions over the pulpit to attend. There was even a stake conference themed around temple attendance. If it were really an enjoyable and rewarding activity, there wouldn't need to be the constant push from leadership. But the leaders push it because a)that's how they get their tithing. B) The temple covenants are the primary control mechanism for the church.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 11:51PM

Am I the only one who hated going to the temple because it made me feel like a failure? I would sit there and really try to concentrate and figure out what I was missing. What symbolism did I not understand? Where was the greater light and knowledge? Wasn't I supposed to be discovering the meaning of life and eternal life to come? All I heard was the same story and the same chants and hand jive I had memorized the last time.

If I fasted first, it brought a whole new perspective to the process, because when I covered my face to pray, I could smell my own bad breath.

The best time I ever had in the temple was working as a temple worker in the laundry. It was back breaking work folding big fluffy towels for four hours at a table that was too high for my short frame, but at least I knew how to fold a towel.

Posted by: Goofy1 ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 11:52PM

Secret handshakes, signs, tokens, death oaths, rising from one degree to the next, the (whatever) points of fellowship, the compass, the square, the ritual, the altar, secrecy, the secret underwear...washings, annointings

..it's the 19th century Joseph Smith/Sydney Rigdon/Brigham Young version of Freemansonry.

Here is some very interesting and enlightening information:

http://mormonexpression.com/2011/07/12/145a-mormonism-and-masonry-into-the-restoration-part-1/

FASCINATING STUFF!!!!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 12:58AM

I so agree that it is dishonest and despicable (my adjective) that the cult does not reveal to those who are planning to go through the temple what the ceremony entails and what they will be required to promise. Of course, we all know why the cult chooses not to operate this way.

I hope to be able to pull off a vow I have made to ask those I know who are going to the cult temple for the first time if they are aware they will be asked to make promises that they should know about it advance BUT will not be advised of them in advance and only hear them at the initial ceremony.

Also, does anyone know if the garments were made part of the temple ceremony at its' beginning?

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 01:00AM

MORmON Temple *worship* springs from IDIOCY, and conflict, and oppression.

the Masonic lodge ritual was derived from rites that were formed in the back lash of Traditional Christianity, which is Roman Catholicism which was the state religion of Rome that was enforced to a very extremely militant extent, ie Join or get killed. since the penalty for not being properly aligned with Christianity was death any way, those who formed secret societies to oppose Christianity, because they noticed just how damn silly / contrived the Christian religion really was, were basically compelled to have the same extreme penalties for betraying membership in the secret societies. Protestantism was an open revolt against the oppression of Christianity that wanted to retain the idiocy of Christianity. The KNights templar and the Masons also knew that it was much better to enlighten people to encourage them to do better instead of motivating them with death threats and losing their soul.

Then a dumb ass like Joe smith comes along and wants to revert to using the death threats and threats of eternal damnation to control his little flock. Joe ended up incorporating the anti Christian aspects of the Masonic lodge into the highest form of MORmON Christian worship.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 01:19AM

Appreciate the reminder of why societies like the Masons and Knights Templar had to resort to having member penalties in order to maintain their secrecy.

And I think that your chosen words describing ole conniving Joe are right on----he really was a dumb ass. How in the world did he expect to keep it a secret that he tried to sell his proclaimed words sent directly from the Lard (the BofM) when he sent others to Canada to sell the book?

Yeh, the secret would never get out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.