Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pathway ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 12:07PM

So I've flown out to visit my parents and somehow, my luggage did not make it with me. So all i have are the clothes I was wearing which was shorts, a polo, and Vans for shoes. I was going to go to my mom's ward with her, but my TBM mom felt that what I was wearing was not appropriate for church and just assumed that i would not be going to church.

I am happy that I don't have to sit through sacrament meeting (which would have been the first in months for me), but it was also sad to realize that in the TBM Mormon world, 'tis far better not to worship than to show up in shorts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 01:01PM

REMEMBER The first 3 rules of the church is appearance. Appearance Appearance. In the name of cheeze & crackers Amen!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 06:42PM

Sort of the same thing happened to me at Christmas time. Wanted to hear my daughter sing with her ward choir, which is amazingly decent to listen to, and I was unprepared with the proper? attire.

So I attended anyway wearing black pants which were casual, not dressy in the least. And much to my daughter's credit, she didn't give a darn and was just happy I attended. I am pretty proud of her anyway, but this just added to this feeling.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 06:45PM

Perhaps exmos should leave their luggage home and claim that it was lost for this very reason.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 11:29PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps exmos should leave their luggage home and
> claim that it was lost for this very reason.

Same for NOM's, right?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 11:34PM

I (newly-divorced) I was living in UT (short time, to be sure) I went to the singles in Ogden.

some of the women would ask: "Why do you wear shorts?" (it was SUMMER, FGS!)

I retorted:

"Why does a fire-fighter (NOT fireman!) wear Red Suspenders?"

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 06:49PM

When I still lived in Orem, but had started attending the UU Fellowship in Provo, I lived in a 4-plex apartment. The people next door had 3 kids in a 2-bedroom apartment and drove me crazy.

One Sunday afternoon I walked out the door and the girl who was about 5 said "Where are you going?" I said "To Church." She exclaims loudly, "In Pants???!!!"

I realized their window was open and their Mom could surely hear me so I said, "Yes. I go to the church where God doesn't care what you wear, he's just glad you're there."

As soon as that was out of my mouth, her mom yelled at her to "get in here!" I laughed. Can't have her finding out that there are churches where appearances aren't the number one most important thing.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 06:51PM

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 06:53PM

Brilliant!

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 06:55PM

We've sent our 6 year old in shorts a couple of times recently. His "dress" pants fit him weirdly and aren't comfortable. With as rarely as he goes to church or anything else needing dress clothes, I don't really want to buy him a different pair. Changes are he'll grow an inch and these will be just fine. My husband at first didn't like it. Then I pointed out how for little boys, they're still "allowed" to wear polo shirts instead of button downs. Nice khaki shorts are really just the polo shirt equivalent of nice khaki pants. So, away he went in his button down shirt and shorts.

Posted by: puff the magic dragon ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 10:41PM

I love wearing shorts to church right now while it is hot. It will be a bummer to go back to jeans in the Winter. At first I felt weird, but soon noticed that NO ONE cared!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 11:09PM

OMG! How I hate the way TBMS abuse that word. It doesn't even mean anything. It just says, "That's why!" They express disapproval but no real reason other than visceral.

Why shouldn't you wear shorts in the summer? Is God offended by your legs? He made your legs; he made it hot.

So, per your mom, it's better not to go to church than to wear something "inappropriate". I can see if it were immodest, but we are not Victorians. Bare legs are not banned in public.

They are such whited sepulchers, worrying so much about what others think and not why they should be serving others. Did Jesus really want his church to look like a corporate stockholders meeting?

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 11:52PM

My fil refused to take my exmo sil's kids to church because they didn't have church clothes and he thought they would embarrass him. His words.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 12:27AM

Church is a horrible place to wear shorts. Instead you should skip church, and wear your shorts walking about town. If you have nice legs, then you should preferably do it in view of people who enjoy drinking certain forbidden beverages.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 02:54AM

I think if you went to church in shorts you wouldn't get kicked out. But it's possible that your mother doesn't want you turning up in shorts since it'll reflect badly on her. That's the way it is in the church, your son goes to church dressed badly and all the other Relief Society sisters are going to think your mother has failed in her duty of raising you, or that she's sinning.

It's sad imo. My mother is getting blamed for things that I do, which isn't fair. The Relief Society sisters shouldn't think she's a failure, my decisions were nothing to do with her.

So I think that's why your mother probably would prefer you not to go to church. Shorts are one of those things that are heavily frowned upon, but they wouldn't kick you out the chapel for it. Probably the Bishop will give you a warning and ask you to get proper clothes for the following Sunday. It's possible someone in the ward will be asked to get a suit of their own to lend to you for the day.

Posted by: homoerectus ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 03:05AM

When I was in boyscouts, we werent allowed inside the church building if we arrived in shorts for scouting activities. We were sent home. Half the time we would just play basketball for activity. It was A ok to wear shorts during practice and tournaments. Weird.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 03:09AM by homoerectus.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.