Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 05:31PM

I once knew someone who was excommunicated from the church for their third time. I also know someone else who was excommunicated twice, and several who were excommunicated once and came back. I know one of them who now has a temple recommend after doing time in prison for child molesting. I also know a woman who was a member after having an abortion although I don't know the details.

To me, this seems more like a reset (kind of like re-booting a computer) than any process of the person making real changes in their lives. It's common knowledge that you can get re-baptized in one year and just start over. Like the cult itself, the whole process seems more like a sham than anything else.

It used to be that when a person was excommunicated, that they couldn't be re-baptized until after they received an approval from the ward where they were excommunicated. Now-a-days it's all streamlined. You can go in to any Bishop, tell your lies about knowing the church is true, etc..., get dunked again, and you're good to go as a church member again.

Does this sound dysfunctional to anyone else besides just me? I think if the church would publish honest figures about number of ex-communications, re-baptisms, re-re-baptisms, etc... that people would be shocked. Has anyone heard of a person coming back after being ex'd a third time (or even more than three)? Is the number of times allowed unlimited?

Of course these people would be much better off if they just stayed out or just had their names removed themselves without having to be kicked out. What are your thoughts? This is starting to look a lot like Catholic indulgences to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nevermoaz ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 06:34PM

Well, if they can baptize the same dead person multiple times....

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 06:42PM

The morg is cruel in how it excommunicates, so why would anyone want to be associated with such a church after this first hand experience. Some people must be gluttons for punishment or be pathetically lacking in self respect.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 07:10PM

Well tscc does have the uncanny ability to appear when your life is (in some aspect) in the dumps. I'd say this may have to account for some of the re-baptisms.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 07:44PM

No limit on the ex's is my humble opinion because the 10% will always be in demand first and foremost. Return as often as you like, please.

I just can't imagine the 15 without expensive vehicles and second homes. They like the nice things of life, all of the little perks----nice food, nice clothes, and, probably, nice maid service.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 09:10PM

Well there you go. For some lip service and a full tithe the church will white wash your reputation. I can see this being handy if you wish to take advantage of the guileless trust this creates in other members.

Posted by: pewsitter ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 09:25PM

3 Times used to be the magic number. Each time the wait gets longer and longer especially for males. There is the magically number of 12 months before one can even reapply. Then months for approval. Then a male has another year plus to wait before reapply for PH. Once again the months and years come into play.

After the second exing the wait is much longer and after the 3rd exing it is something like 15 years to wait.

A Bishop that is exed used to have to wait 15 years before they could rejoin.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.