Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 10:21PM

As I vented about earlier, one of today's "spiritual" thoughts was that it's pleasing to God to neglect the physical needs of your children if you're devoting your time and money to building up the kingdom instead.

Also courtesy of today's sharing time is that families can't stay together unless they have daily family prayer, daily family scripture study, and weekly family home evening. Also, parents might not be on the ball as far as all of these things go and need reminding by their kids. Under normal circumstances, parents would be protesting violently that someone dared to teach their children that their family is not going to stay together and putting the eternal salvation and continuity of the family on the shoulders of children. They'd hate the idea that their kids are being told that maybe their parents don't really care about the family's togetherness if they aren't doing all of those things. When it's church, though, no one bats an eye.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 10:41PM

I have a fam’ly here on earth.
They try to brainwash me.
I want to share my life with them through all eternity.

While I am in my early years,
I’ll prepare most carefully,
So I can leave the so-called church for all eternity!

Fam’lies can be together forever
But dad's apostate... damn!
I always want to be with my own family,
And the Lord has shown me how I can't.
The Lord has shown me how I can't.

Date: July 14, 2013 11:07PM

Yep, exactly. That's the sharing time song for the month.
Of course, no one thinks that there might just be one kid in each group who comes from a family where the parents are _not_ so good to them. That and "has given me an earthly home with parents kind and dear," except that some parents aren't kind and dear, but the kids are being taught to ignore that kind of thing.

Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 09:22AM

...spend eternity with them. But I went through with it anyway, because that's what God wanted for me.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 09:16PM

I have a friend who back in the 80s wrote a strongly worded letter to the First Presidency that making a child sing " I have a family here on earth, they are so good to me."

Was CHILD ABUSE! She told the brethern that some kids come from horrible families, even church families, and that making them sing about a family that is 'good' to them is abusive because their private lives are a living hell on earth!!!

She found herself in the SP's office a short time later with her letter in his hand. The Presidency had sent it to the SP to have him 'counsel' with her and explain the church's position;

The Church's stand was the children would have a 'loving' family in the heavens and that's what they must be thinking of when they sing it.

My friend was the Primary Pianist.

Can you see the scene now???? Primary Chorister gets up

"Children" "We are going to sing 'Families can be together forever" Now I know that some of you might not have a family you'd like to be with forever. Some of you might have a family where everyone is mean to you, or are not members of the church. Please do not worry. When you sing this song, just think of the family you want in the next life and know that you will have the perfect family for you after this life...now Sis Jones, could you give us the introduction?"

Then Robbie and Johnny lean over and tell Susie and Brad "Yeah, think about your next family since yours is really rotten...your Dad beats you Brad, and Susie your Mom isn't even a member and she drinks coffee!"

Oh the joys of Primary!!! The caring and the sharing!

Posted by: sha'dynasty ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 11:27PM

This is horrifying.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 06:20PM

It is that brainwashing of the kids, who then question parents, that is plain evil IMO. My dear grandson is surely about ready to ask plenty of questions to his mom and dad about things due to them pounding it in his little mind at church. Sickening.

Date: July 15, 2013 08:32PM

There's something really _wrong_ with teaching kids that (1) family home evening is essential to keeping their family together and (2) their parents don't really care enough to make sure that it happens consistently. Why don't they skip it and just say "your parents suck and want your family to break apart, and it will unless _you_ do something about it!"

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 08:59PM

I grew up in an inactive family that sent me to church with anyone who would take me. I remember laying awake at night when my parents went out, worrying that they'd be killed before they went to the temple and had us sealed. I was worried that if I made it to heaven, I'd just be floating around all by myself because my family wasn't a forever family.

Scars.

Posted by: JoyAGE ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 11:25PM

:( that's so sad. That £%*&$"@* church!!! I'm so sorry you worried about your patents like that!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 11:59PM

That is one of the saddest things I read from a kids point of view on here. OMG...it is awful. Sorry they made you so worried.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.