Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Keith Vaught ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 05:33PM

"Don't abandon your exmormonism, but don't let it consume you. Exmormonism is not who you are, it's just a remnant of who you used to be."

TGIF

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 05:35PM

I think there is a church for that!
http://www.theremnantchurch.com/

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 05:44PM

Wow! Elder Berry.

I never heard of the "remnant" LDS! I learn so much on this board. Fascinating. It makes me think of "remnant" pieces of cloth one stitches together to make a patchwork quilt.

More old dinosaurs. Don't they ever give up!

I've got to read up on them. Are they are polygamist group?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 05:50PM

I believe they don't believe Joe was a polygamist.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 06:48PM

They broke of from the RLDS/Community of Christ

Posted by: X'd @ 10 ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 05:51PM

I am struggling with that. Haven't been able to check the site for couple of weeks it has been helpful, though I am relatively new to this site. How to let go of the issues the cult created for me is the main issue for me, It is the voice that is always saying "not worthy" that I want to turn off. I well never return because I never believed the doctrine. It is the voice in my head that keeps the tape running. It is the anger I feel for always hearing that voice. It is the harm to myself, my children. and others that I become angry about also. What is the next step to recovery? Besides complaining about the abuse. What are others doing to move forward? Does there need to be a unified plan to redirect and prevent further harm? Telling everyone that you are hurt is one thing, the other is how to heal the wounds?

What have you done?

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 05:56PM

Well I've been posting and reading for 7 years, which isn't long by some standards, but I never knew SLD was in the habit of posting essays.

In fact I don't think I've seen anyone post something anything like an essay that wasn't prefaced with something like, "a little something I've been working on..." or "a repost from xxxx", etc.

It's the internet, the audience is never the same twice. But if you start your very own page on FB, your audience will know what to expect from one single contributor.

Also, it wasn't "two controversial subjects", it was one really, reallyreally, bad analogy. Please bring more essays, I see room for input.

Hahahaha no.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 06:34PM by WinksWinks.

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 06:06PM

I disagree about the analogy being bad but I think I need to make it more clear. My delivery was poor that's for sure. I don't expect him to abandon his gay crusade or change who he is, only to realize that there is more to life than one all consuming issue. He's in a constant state of anger and lashing out, even where no offense was intended. I recognize in him a lot of the characteristics I had in my early days of exmormonism. I obviously communicated that very badly. I respect your opinion and appreciate what you have to say.

If you know me you know that few people were more vested in Mormonism than I was, and from that feeling of betrayal came a consuming anger. I know as well as anyone how hard it is to overcome it. Read it again for what I really said, and I'll work on saying it better.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 07:04PM

because sexual orientation is innate and Mormonism is imposed or acquired. I'd go as far as to say it's a choice, even for those of us who were born into it, although I'm sure some will argue. I don't expect an argument, though, that being an ex-Mormon is a choice and being gay is not.

It's like if you said to a black person, "Don't be all about being black," or "Don't let your race consume you." How stupid would that be?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 07:05PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 06:12PM

I would argue Mormonism is innate for those born into it munchy. It's natural to BIC folk because they don't know anything else.

Choosing to leave the innateness is a tough path as witnessed by the hundreds of posters here looking for support through that process.

And yes, if I had a African-American friend whose race consumed him, I would say, "Your race is consuming you", if he was losing friends, family and jobs over it.

SLD's point was about finding balance, not about being gay or a minority. Most analogies fall apart upon examination and SLD freely admitted his needed editing, but his point is still no less valid IMO.

I like your posts munchy so please take this in the spirit intended. I've read SLD for a decade now and was very surprised at the outright vitriol he encountered here. Not from you, but in general.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2013 06:13PM by iflewover.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 08:34PM

I must disagree! It was not innate no matter how they shoved it down my throat, no more than being perfectly straight is even though it was presented as even more of The Only Option than mormonism. At least I heard that some of our neighbors belonged to different churches, but I never even heard about gays until it became THE insult to throw in middle school.

Being an obsessive antimormon may not be for SLDrone but do the rest of us need to be told this?
The instructing that we received was not necessary. I too saw the "beginning and end" language that has been removed, and I don't really care how it is changed it was a lesson delivered, a goal presented, and I don't come here to be preached at. I come to hear people's stories and share my own, that was not how this was presented.
It was meant to be an essay, something presented to the class as an example.
This was not the story of the journey, this was more like a summary of where SLD is at with strong language suggesting we should want it too.

In fact now that I reread it, it is not really improved. Working against the cult as a passionate exmo might be "being a victim" which doesn't suit him anymore, he says, and "Mormonism doesn't matter very much to me anymore. The day to day riffraff is just that to me, a pile of garbage."
Except it is still deadly serious to the people stuck in it, the people committing suicide because of the desperation of it.

A Nightingale noticed, "the responses were fairly mild." Have you seen a real roast lately? She's right

Call me a one note wonder, but that's because this cult kills people. Much like gays keep demanding equal rights, I don't see any reason to stop because straight white male done recovered from mormonism and has heard enough.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 06:42PM

SLD - I enjoyed your post in the spirit that it was meant. I'm no fan of Mormonism but I think balance is important - I have firsthand experience of how ex-Mormonism can also be harmful if it becomes an all-consuming obsession.

I know an exmo who is absolutely 100% consumed in his hatred for TSCC - it has completely taken over his life to such an unhealthy degree that he has irreversibly lost family member relationships....NOT because of his decision to leave in the first place (the family members I personally know are somewhat NOM anyway) but because he has franky become an angry and aggressive person with no interest in anything or anyone but fighting the church in any way he feels he can.

People avoid him now only because they know that every single conversation without fail becomes a vitriol filled rant. He's no longer pleasant company to be around and he just can't see that his approach only helps to cement the stereotype of someone leaving the church as being under the influence of Satan. And his approach has become a self-perpetuating circle of people avoiding him / him feeling everyone shuns him and it's the church's fault. He's even lost his job (with non-members) because he just can't function properly any longer.

I know he's the complete extreme on the scale. At this rate I don't think he will ever feel any sense of recovery. I don't think he even really wants to. Fighting has become his only reason to live. I feel sorry for him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.