Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 06:54PM

I just discovered this quote from Henry David Thoreau, from "The Maine Woods." I laughed because I spent my mission trying to convert the native people of western Canada.

<<I have much to learn of the Indian, nothing of the missionary. I am not sure but all that would tempt me to teach the Indian my religion would be his promise to teach me his.>>

Too bad it took me about 23 months of my mission to come to the same conclusion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 04:32AM

Thoreau was a unique, intelligent and interesting individual who gave mankind many words of wisdom to think about. He marched to the beats of his own drum just as his words describe. Enjoyed reading the quote from him.

Mark Twain is another person who left us many common-sense gems of wisdom as well to as humorous, colorful and fun descriptions of humankind. His description of the BofM is my absolute favorite.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 01:23PM

Stray Mutt,

That's a great quote. Thanks for submitting it. And I love your thoughts about your mission in Canada.

Yes, Thoreau was unique. And I enjoy his essays.

But may I add, that although he stressed independent and "deliberate" living, he was not as isolated or as independent as we perceive him to be.

His cabin was a short distance from his mother's home. He had his meals with her every day. He brought her his laundry every week and she delighted in sending him home with clean clothing and a pie.

He lived one mile from Ralph Waldo Emerson and would often visit with him. Thoreau made trips into town to purchase amenities as needed.

He gave small dinner parties in his cabin and was a delightful host, treating his guests to "spirits" and regaling them with stories about life in the woods.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 05:03PM

"Walden" speaks for itself.

Thoreau's last words at death were, "Indian" and "moose". He did a lot of very deep woods wilderness travel, even years after his sojourn in his cabin at Walden. He didn't always travel alone, but he was deep into wilderness trekking.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.