Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 09:01PM

http://news.aol.ca/2011/01/26/gay-bashing-investigated-by-b-c-police/19815842

How can anyone threaten to kill another person for being gay? I just can't get it.

But it keeps happening. :(

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dieter ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 09:09PM

Projecting their closeted self hate?

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 04:11AM

Posted by: wardbecks ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 11:15PM

Someone who hates murderers is also a closet murderer.

Your logic is flawed.

Date: January 27, 2011 04:10AM

Posted by: dieter ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 11:46PM

Oh dear my logics flawed.

Posted by: Mo' Foe ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 02:10AM

good point wardbecks, hate of a bad behavior perpetuates the same driving force which produced the bad behavior in the first place.

Hating ANYTHING, even a bad action is no different than the logic which produced the hate which produced the original bad action (ie. murder)

Date: January 27, 2011 02:44AM

what? all i'm saying is that hate breeds hate. how is your hate any different than the hate of the one you hate?

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 02:47AM

Do I really have to explain the difference between hating someone just for who they are and hating someone because what they have done to you?

Hint, one is based on prejudice, the other is not.

Date: January 27, 2011 02:56AM

regardless of what it's based on, it's still the same driving force.

you don't have a thing to explain, trust me I get it, i'm just on a whole 'nother level that's all. Sounds like I need to do some explaining.

Date: January 27, 2011 02:59AM

Hating people for committing violence means we put people guilty of violence in jail, or in other words, JUSTICE.

Hating people that for just who they are leads to innocent people being harmed, or in other words, injustice.

your not understanding this simple concept indicates I still need to explain things, at least to you.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 03:00AM

And although hatred MAY lead to violence, it isn't necessarily a given.

But I also agree with MJ. Reacting to prejudice and bias isn't hatred. It's standing up for what you believe in. And, yeah, sure, people who hate the geyz believe they are standing up for what THEY believe in. Difference is, they're the assholes. Who cares what they think?

Date: January 27, 2011 03:04AM

I see your point, but really? "Difference is, they're the assholes. Who cares what they think?"

... depends on who you're asking, what makes YOUR point any more valid than the 'asshole's' point? and who judges that decision?

a statement like that is no different than a gay-hating bigot isn't it?

Date: January 27, 2011 03:07AM

which I don't expect from those who don't like homosexuals. Neutrality would be nice. Keeping one's religion out of our laws would be nice. But since those things aren't likely to happen, yeah, they're assholes. Who cares what they think?

Date: January 27, 2011 03:18AM

I do. and you should too.

If we can manage to keep an open mind, most people have a LOT to learn from those that oppose or disapprove their own views.

Hell, even Hitler had some (albeit only a few) decent ideas, just because someone is a monster (or an asshole) doesn't mean there isn't something good to learn from them.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 03:22AM

There are plenty of positive role models from whom we could all learn a lot. I, for one, don't need to seek any positive traits in Hitler or use him as any kind of a model except for all the places one should never go.

Hopefully we will never be so short of good people that we need to seek inspiration from "monsters".

Date: January 27, 2011 03:23AM

I am in full agreement there ;) i'm just sayin'

Date: January 27, 2011 04:15AM

"But Hitler liked the WRONG KIND of dogs!"

ever. It's always the same. I have heard all of these arguments over and over again. They are still invalid and irrational.

If that camp can come up with something (anything) even remotely compelling, I'll listen to it.

I won't hold my breath.

Date: January 27, 2011 03:25AM

what 'camp' and 'faction' are you talking about? I don't understand? why are you trying to place me into a group or a box because of how I feel about certain things?

don't you dare label me without even understanding where I am coming from.

Date: January 27, 2011 03:28AM

1) the religious faction which objects to gay marriage and/or the normalization of gay relationships in American society.

2) those who say it isn't religious, but it will wreck marriage and society and always claim gloom and doom for the future of the country but, of course, cannot ever provide evidence to substantiate their claims.

Feel free to lay out your argument. I guarantee you, I have encountered it before.

Date: January 27, 2011 02:19AM

Face the facts. Mormons will never get along with gays, nor will gays get along with mormons. There will always be contention. Gays think they are right. Mormons think they are right. The only difference between the two groups is mormons don't have to come out.

Date: January 27, 2011 02:33AM

The art of diplomacy is saying "Nice doggy" until you find a rock.

Mormons will never accept homosexuality.

Date: January 27, 2011 02:39AM

Never is a very long time. The LDS church will start accepting gays when there has been enough social change that the LDS must change or become obsolete.

Date: January 27, 2011 02:43AM

for sure... once the $ starts drying up, someone's gonna get a REVELATION!

Date: January 27, 2011 02:46AM

The church endured persecution in the past, the martydom of Joseph Smith, and they only grew stronger. The church will be around longer than protesting homosexuals will. That is just common logic.

Date: January 27, 2011 02:50AM

The LDS bowed to social and political pressures in regards to polygamy and blacks in the priesthood.

They can and will do so again.

We will not need to continue protesting, once social change has reached a tipping point, the rest will happen.

Date: January 27, 2011 02:54AM

Race and sexual fetishes are two different things.

I don't know what the church will do, but I'm going to get out the popcorn.

Date: January 27, 2011 02:57AM

Come back when you have something valid to say.

Since gays are born gay, it is the same as race.

Date: January 27, 2011 03:00AM

what's race? a different skin color?
Jesus Christ when will we get it, H - U - M - A - N!

understand?

gay, straight, black, blue, WTF? seriously. All these damn protected minority classes really pi$$ me off. We need to get it through our thick heads that we are all alike here.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )

No we are not all alike. Hundreds of years of societal prejudice and persecution will tell you that. You have your head seriously buried in the sand if you honestly think minorities (especially poor ones) are on a level playing field with whites.

Wake the hell up. You know what pisses me off? Ignorant white people who think race doesn't matter.

Date: January 27, 2011 03:33AM

society at large has created these social prejudices, they only exist as long as we allow them to control our thoughts and actions.

We're not alike? fine... look, you just perpetuated the very prejudice that you fight against, despite my non-belief in your arguement. AND I AM WHITE!

whoever said the white man keeps the minority down was sorely mistaken, as you just proved that point VERY nicely.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 03:49AM

No need to use caps, I got that you're white, clearly...and very ignorant.

I'm not even going to debate this with you as you have clearly demonstrated you know NOTHING about how race effects society and economics.

Pretending we are the same is stupid. Because we're NOT. It's about embracing differences and being realistic about how it effects how we deal with each other.

I know I'm wasting my breath as your pea sized brain and even more narrow world view will not be able to comprehend what I'm saying.

Date: January 27, 2011 04:47AM

so you're throwing in the towel in so many words. Nice try, I can see right through the fact that you have nothing to come back at me with.

it's cool, I run into people like you every day. used to it.

Date: January 27, 2011 04:49AM

go back to your herd mentality and stop wasting my time. I know how people work, and think.

I don't think in terms of groups, i think in terms of people and sadly, you've shown once again that the majority of the population like to FAAAAAAAAAHlow the herd, just like the sheople you are.

Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 04:34AM

The cult will outlast homosexuality? Hmm, I doubt it. Homosexuality has always been part of humanity, and many animals.

Date: January 27, 2011 02:44AM

And in this instance, I mean the Mormon hierarchy. There is already a defection happening among rank and file members who do accept their homosexual friends and family members and reject the LDS church's position on it.

And in the end, for as toxic as I think those beliefs are, particularly for gay mormons caught up in the absurdity of mormonism, I don't care if the LDS church NEVER accepts homosexuals.

The larger culture is trending toward that acceptance. Mormonism, and other religions like them will find themselves, and the political clout they have enjoyed thus far unchallenged, marginalized.

And don't forget: many Mormons used to say precisely the same thing about blacks and the priesthood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 02:45AM by elee.

Date: January 27, 2011 04:19AM

As certain as the fact that man will never be able to fly!

That's what millions thought was the gospel truth until the Montgolfier brothers proved them wrong. And then later Santos-Dumont. And then the Wright brothers.

BTW, didn't Hinckley have a gay grandson who was allowed to bring his husb... I mean significant other to all family reunions?

Oh, And the LDS church already invited Justin Black to a concert at their great and spacious building after he spoke out against their homophobia at the Oscars. Change can sometimes happen fast.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 04:29AM by Zeno Lorea.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.